Video: Thailand's shame: "We should be like farangs and keep our own country clean"

webfact

2 hours ago, Greyhat said:

Hypothetically speaking.. I wonder what the reaction would be if some kind of "farang litter day" began. For example if TV members agreed to go around picking up rubbish on a specific date. Not sure if it'd come across as shaming Thais or genuine respect for the country.

When word got around, they would probably bring their rubbish out!

????

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"She was not after public acclaim for doing what most westerners would consider a civic duty."

Give me a break. During my many years in the West I've never seen someone pick up someone else's garbage in this manner. Kudos to the woman in the video, but acting like this is common practice in the West is absolutely ridiculous.

1 hour ago, briansbiology said:

great idea. sometimes shaming thais into action works.  When walking my dog I used to always stop behind my neighbour walking his dog and collect his poo also. then the other neighbours teased him relentlessly about it. He now makes a point of cleaning up after my dog.  IF you or anyone else wants to actually organise this I will join with my 3 sons. 

My village is spotlessly clean. Phew! . . . what a lucky let-off!

38 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Where, exactly? Pray tell and then I can visit this trashy farang place, tell the culprits what I think of them and maybe watch them apologetically pick-up their rubbish. A little surprised you didn't do this, robblok, knowing your liking for head-to-heads ????

And, as for a shortage of bins exacerbating the problem, that would hardly apply to trashy Thais who'd simply not appreciate why they were there, on the sidewalk or fixed to a lamp-post, and drop their litter next to them, without even being aware of the mess that they were constructing around them.

Only joking - OK, well, half-joking - about the trashy farangs, but I am surprised that you didn't pass a polite comment/rebuke to the culprits, unless there was real fear of being trashed yourself ????

You will never see me going head to heads with anybody unless its verbal. I prefer to avoid conflict where i can, don't want things to end up physical and get in trouble. (there are only losers in a fight)

I saw foreigners throwing thrash away while I was on a holiday, where I live im the only foreigner.

2 hours ago, briansbiology said:

great idea. sometimes shaming thais into action works.  When walking my dog I used to always stop behind my neighbour walking his dog and collect his poo also. then the other neighbours teased him relentlessly about it. He now makes a point of cleaning up after my dog.  IF you or anyone else wants to actually organise this I will join with my 3 sons. 

I live surrounded by rice fields, so when I take my pooch out for a walk morning & evening he has a dump at the edge of the field, not on the paved road, beside the drink bottles and crisp packets the kids have thrown. At least dog poo is biodegradable.

This would be far more inspiring if the Thais who commented on the girl and her picking up of rubbish actually took it upon themselves to physically pick up trash as an example, rather than lamenting the Thai attitude to rubbish situation on social media.

Until they start a movement, as Australia did with Clean up Australia Day nothing changes. 

Some years ago the Orbortor put a load of nice red wheely bins around the lake in Nai Harn and as you came off the beach within a couple of weeks the had all gone,

There used to be an old guy used to go along Rawai beach picking up litter and them lazy boat boys just watched him

5 hours ago, SammyT said:

Agreed, always the most frustrating thing is buying food or drink while wandering somewhere and then having to carry the litter for another 30 minutes until you can find somewhere to properly dispose of it. Pretty much the only consistent rubbish bins I've seen have been outside 7/11's. 

Not a problem. In a perfect world that 30 minute carry could save decades or more of degrading of the rubbish. In the army we carried the cans and packaging from our rations for days to avoid littering the jungle and harming the wild life.

1 hour ago, Myran said:

"She was not after public acclaim for doing what most westerners would consider a civic duty."

Give me a break. During my many years in the West I've never seen someone pick up someone else's garbage in this manner. Kudos to the woman in the video, but acting like this is common practice in the West is absolutely ridiculous.

Really?

56 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I live surrounded by rice fields, so when I take my pooch out for a walk morning & evening he has a dump at the edge of the field, not on the paved road, beside the drink bottles and crisp packets the kids have thrown. At least dog poo is biodegradable.

I'll bet the farmers are dead chuffed at harvest time, when they settle down for lunch at the edge of their field...

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

This would be far more inspiring if the Thais who commented on the girl and her picking up of rubbish actually took it upon themselves to physically pick up trash as an example, rather than lamenting the Thai attitude to rubbish situation on social media.

Until they start a movement, as Australia did with Clean up Australia Day nothing changes. 

100% true

All they will do is click the like button on fake book

or what ever social media site there on.

Then go back to posting pictures of themselves or there dinner.

13 minutes ago, JAG said:

I'll bet the farmers are dead chuffed at harvest time, when they settle down for lunch at the edge of their field...

After a few heavy downpours there's nowt left.

What do many farmers use for fertilizer..............sh****t. Where do you think brown rice comes from?   LOL????

1 hour ago, Myran said:

During my many years in the West I've never seen someone pick up someone else's garbage in this manner. Kudos to the woman in the video, but acting like this is common practice in the West is absolutely ridiculous.

Well there's not that much to pick - unless Thai tourists visited the spot.

4 minutes ago, Myran said:

Plenty of garbage in nature in Sweden.

Yeah...I bet almost as much as in Thailand!

Sweden...Thailand...after all, they are all just the same, right!

Oh and "If you don't like it here- go back home!"

Right?!

12 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Yeah...I bet almost as much as in Thailand!

Sweden...Thailand...after all, they are all just the same, right!

Oh and "If you don't like it here- go back home!"

Right?!

Nope, never claimed that. Not sure what you're on about. If you want to have a discussion, reply to what I actually write instead of trying to imply things and putting words in my mouth.

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Plenty of foreigners who dump their trash too, however in general I think foreigners are far more conscious about littering. The problem in Thailand is that there are not many trash cans available to put your trash in when you have it. That also leads to littering. 

You must be joking ???? dont you look at the sides of the roads...? Good one though

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Plenty of foreigners who dump their trash too, however in general I think foreigners are far more conscious about littering. The problem in Thailand is that there are not many trash cans available to put your trash in when you have it. That also leads to littering. 

The trash can gets removed at popular spots due to security reasons.????

As I (Ossy) originally posted:

Where, exactly? Pray tell and then I can visit this trashy farang place, tell the culprits what I think of them and maybe watch them apologetically pick-up their rubbish. A little surprised you didn't do this, robblok, knowing your liking for head-to-heads ????

2 hours ago, robblok said:

You will never see me going head to heads with anybody unless its verbal. I prefer to avoid conflict where i can, don't want things to end up physical and get in trouble. (there are only losers in a fight)

I saw foreigners throwing thrash away while I was on a holiday, where I live im the only foreigner.

I did mean verbal and not the fisticuffs variety.????

3 minutes ago, Ossy said:

As I (Ossy) originally posted:

I did mean verbal and not the fisticuffs variety.????

I know .. but verbal can end in fists .. really i prefer to avoid trouble. 

My liking heads to heads is in discussion on the forum. That is about it no way that can end in a fist fight ????

5 hours ago, Greyhat said:

Hypothetically speaking.. I wonder what the reaction would be if some kind of "farang litter day" began. For example if TV members agreed to go around picking up rubbish on a specific date. Not sure if it'd come across as shaming Thais or genuine respect for the country.

Work permits? TAT.

2 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Lack of waist container is a big problem. Access to 'dumps" where cost is cheap. Media pointing out pride in clean up campaigns. Time for all Thai's to re-think once these steps are in place.

I have one of those, I think they call it a beer belly ????

We’re talking about people who will squat over a smelly sewer drain or next to a hot garbage dump full of rats and eat a meal as ants crawl into their food.

Most of them don’t care about litter, pollution, smells, heaps of trash, or anything else that bothers civilized people. 

A large portion of them are still savages at heart. There’s no other way to say it.

Archived