Video: Thailand's shame: "We should be like farangs and keep our own country clean"

webfact

I pickup regularly in our gated community, but even here (middle class community) there are typical Thai's throwing/leaving garbage on the ground in our green park area, even though there are 3 trash cans supplied within a 50ft walking distance. Laziness? Thainess? 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone from the UK there are plenty of places there that make Thailand look clean, s$&€t holes created by supposedly first world educated citizens...education goes so far but family upbringing and respect for others goes further....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Lack of waist container is a big problem. Access to 'dumps" where cost is cheap.

There are many makeshift free dumps, too, aka the side of the road.

Last week I watched my neighbor get his driveway re-tiled, and he directed his labor to dump the old broken up tile next to the playground in our village.  I walked to the playground and caught the act on video, which got posted to Facebook.  I won't post the video here, but here's what he dumped:

600697810_dumpedtrash1.jpg.a78c9cf478e064e08f0f6bb4f9deb97b.jpg

Children were actually playing right there as he was tossing the bags of rubble into the tall grass!  I showed it to my Thai inlaws and nobody wanted to do anything.  So around two o'clock in the morning, I went to retrieve three of the bags and brought them back and dropped them on his doorstep with a note that says something to the effect of "please don't dump your trash in the children's playground":

811110712_dumpedtrash2.jpg.08b5678253b40ee92596d84e1c7283b5.jpg

The next morning, he took the sign off as soon as he saw it, but the bags are still sitting there at his front gate one week later.  ????

13 hours ago, robblok said:

Plenty of foreigners who dump their trash too, however in general I think foreigners are far more conscious about littering. The problem in Thailand is that there are not many trash cans available to put your trash in when you have it. That also leads to littering. 

little explains the near continuous strip of garbage next to literally any road/highway.

23 hours ago, SammyT said:

Agreed, always the most frustrating thing is buying food or drink while wandering somewhere and then having to carry the litter for another 30 minutes until you can find somewhere to properly dispose of it. Pretty much the only consistent rubbish bins I've seen have been outside 7/11's. 

Golly, it occurs to me that you must live in a pretty remote part of Thailand, if it takes you 30 minutes to find a 7/11!

????

1 hour ago, marquis22 said:

Even the cattle drop litter.....

20190129_092305.jpg

That would be a beautiful picture without the plastic rubbish.

The farmer better clean that up ASAP, because the cows / buffalos often eat the plastic bags (as they can taste the salt from leftover food on them) and they eventually clog up the animals stomach and intestines and it will die.  

"Hypothetically speaking.. I wonder what the reaction would be if some kind of "farang litter day" began. For example if TV members agreed to go around picking up rubbish on a specific date. Not sure if it'd come across as shaming Thais or genuine respect for the country."

Carefully does it. This lady might be a possible target tor 'no work permit' charges. Yes, I agree that would be childish but this is Thailand and these are Thais. Stranger things have happened.

On 1/28/2019 at 4:32 AM, realfunster said:

What I don’t understand is why there doesn’t appear to be a consistent government public service campaign via the media on this and other related ‘social’ matters.

Seems odd for an authoritarian and bureaucratic state.

Worthwhile targets :

Learning to swim

Driving/drunk driving/seatbelts/ crash helmets

Littering/environmental

Corruption

etc, etc. 

Wow. You hit the nail on the head. If Thai people could be indoctrinated at school about littering, corruption and safety, the country would be better. But then it might end up like Sweden, so better let them deal with it themselves.

On 1/29/2019 at 6:44 AM, Sydebolle said:

Luckily she did not get arrested for not having a work permit. 

But I am sure that the avalanche of Chinese will do good deeds and follow the example .......... 

I think many more conscientious falang would pick up trash and other things like teach English for free, but strangely that behaviour upsets the authorities.

No probs. I pick up the odd bit of rolling in the wind trash in Oz with no repercussions. I'm going to heaven.

On 1/28/2019 at 10:34 AM, robblok said:

The problem in Thailand is that there are not many trash cans available to put your trash in when you have it.

Another big problem is that there are no dump sites where one can dump bigger items that won't fit in the garbage. 

On 1/28/2019 at 2:26 PM, Greyhat said:

Hypothetically speaking.. I wonder what the reaction would be if some kind of "farang litter day" began. For example if TV members agreed to go around picking up rubbish on a specific date. Not sure if it'd come across as shaming Thais or genuine respect for the country.

I think it would show respect for the country, and now that so many local authorities are trying to confine waste, get the local services  involved as well. 

Market stall holders should be encouraged and rewarded for cutting down on litter for takeaways foods

Clean up Australia worked well and still does.

On 1/29/2019 at 12:29 AM, dcnx said:

We’re talking about people who will squat over a smelly sewer drain or next to a hot garbage dump full of rats and eat a meal as ants crawl into their food.

Most of them don’t care about litter, pollution, smells, heaps of trash, or anything else that bothers civilized people. 

A large portion of them are still savages at heart. There’s no other way to say it.

That is truly awful thing to say the many wonderful Thai people, it sounds like white middle class elitism to me, with a good dash of racism thrown in.

Most cannot even earn enough to buy the many items we take for granted,( rubbish bins, sorting into recyclable/biodegradable, and hard rubbish) it will take public education and a generation to change the  mananer in which Thai dispose of their rubbish, not mention the number of tourists who think it is ok dump here , which they would not do in their own countries in general.

4 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

That is truly awful thing to say the many wonderful Thai people, it sounds like white middle class elitism to me, with a good dash of racism thrown in.

Most cannot even earn enough to buy the many items we take for granted,( rubbish bins, sorting into recyclable/biodegradable, and hard rubbish) it will take public education and a generation to change the  mananer in which Thai dispose of their rubbish, not mention the number of tourists who think it is ok dump here , which they would not do in their own countries in general.

The local amphur established blue garbage bins in my village.

I had to drag the lazy stepson 20 times across the road to the bin until he got the message...

The stepdaughter took to throwing the remnants of the KFC out the window until I collected the rubbish and dumped in on the laps of both herself and her fellow university students whereupon they all ran off gibbering and squeaking.

No..the poster you responded to was quite correct and in noways overly harsh on people who so willingly trash their environment.

You want to be seen as a "developing country" and not as a smog ridden,third world hellhole?

Then you know what to do...

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Blaming the foreigners for Thailand's rubbish, is crazy and very ignorant of you. i suggest you go to non tourist areas of Thailand and report back your findings. :coffee1:

15 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

this aurtralian woman is nothing but stupid and i am sure this video is staged.

anyone that picks up garbage from the street is plain stupid and idiot.

and if she went to another country to do it than she is propably a mental case.

it is the duty of the municipality and people only need to keep it clean.

It's "Australian"-try to keep the English right if you are trying to pretend that you are a famous (if moderately neurotic)American author.

"Khun Gatsby" just doesn't cut it..

On 1/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, Greyhat said:

Hypothetically speaking.. I wonder what the reaction would be if some kind of "farang litter day" began. For example if TV members agreed to go around picking up rubbish on a specific date. Not sure if it'd come across as shaming Thais or genuine respect for the country.

Can't do, no work permits for rubbish collection, it's a reserved occupation for Thai's - pity they don't don't bother. 

On 1/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, SammyT said:

Agreed, always the most frustrating thing is buying food or drink while wandering somewhere and then having to carry the litter for another 30 minutes until you can find somewhere to properly dispose of it. Pretty much the only consistent rubbish bins I've seen have been outside 7/11's. 

Here in Jomtien the locals leave their rubbish on the beach or the sidewalk when there's 3 bloody great big green bins on wheels not ten metres away.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, Greyhat said:

It'll freeze in hell before I pick up other people's rubbish! I show my genuine respect for the country, sorry, the planet, by not littering, refusing as many plastic bags and cutlery as I can, turning off lights and electronic devices when not in use, walking to the nearest 7/11 when I need to grab a few items (and I still have to tell them I don't want a bag despite recent stories about it being policy at all stores nationwide to ask customers if they want a one or not). But picking up rubbish after this lot, who don't give a toss about their own homes, never mind their own country, just ain't going to happen. 

It's a nice thought/suggestion, but if the majority of people, both natives and expats, aren't behind the effort, then it's like pi$$ing in the wind - pointless. 

On 1/28/2019 at 10:34 AM, robblok said:

Plenty of foreigners who dump their trash too, however in general I think foreigners are far more conscious about littering. The problem in Thailand is that there are not many trash cans available to put your trash in when you have it. That also leads to littering. 

On 1/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, SammyT said:

What you both dedcribe is a symptom. The real problem is a lack of civic responsibility. There are no trash cans because Thais, generally, care only for themselves individually or at a family or maybe close friend level. 

Ever see shop keepers cleaning, very carefully, only the pavement directly in front of their shops? 

Ever notice how the Thai tax base is small and they go to great lengths to avoid paying taxes? 

Ever notice how it's so difficult for Thai condo unit owners during the owners' meetings to form a quorum in anything related to expenditure? 

They lack a culture of civic responsibility, just like their cultural cousins the Chinese. 

Archived