Jump to content
BANGKOK 23 July 2019 05:21
webfact

Video: Thailand's shame: "We should be like farangs and keep our own country clean"

Recommended Posts

"She was not after public acclaim for doing what most westerners would consider a civic duty."

 

Give me a break. During my many years in the West I've never seen someone pick up someone else's garbage in this manner. Kudos to the woman in the video, but acting like this is common practice in the West is absolutely ridiculous.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, briansbiology said:

great idea. sometimes shaming thais into action works.  When walking my dog I used to always stop behind my neighbour walking his dog and collect his poo also. then the other neighbours teased him relentlessly about it. He now makes a point of cleaning up after my dog.  IF you or anyone else wants to actually organise this I will join with my 3 sons. 

My village is spotlessly clean. Phew! . . . what a lucky let-off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Where, exactly? Pray tell and then I can visit this trashy farang place, tell the culprits what I think of them and maybe watch them apologetically pick-up their rubbish. A little surprised you didn't do this, robblok, knowing your liking for head-to-heads 🙃

 

And, as for a shortage of bins exacerbating the problem, that would hardly apply to trashy Thais who'd simply not appreciate why they were there, on the sidewalk or fixed to a lamp-post, and drop their litter next to them, without even being aware of the mess that they were constructing around them.

 

Only joking - OK, well, half-joking - about the trashy farangs, but I am surprised that you didn't pass a polite comment/rebuke to the culprits, unless there was real fear of being trashed yourself 😉

You will never see me going head to heads with anybody unless its verbal. I prefer to avoid conflict where i can, don't want things to end up physical and get in trouble. (there are only losers in a fight)

 

I saw foreigners throwing thrash away while I was on a holiday, where I live im the only foreigner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, briansbiology said:

great idea. sometimes shaming thais into action works.  When walking my dog I used to always stop behind my neighbour walking his dog and collect his poo also. then the other neighbours teased him relentlessly about it. He now makes a point of cleaning up after my dog.  IF you or anyone else wants to actually organise this I will join with my 3 sons. 

I live surrounded by rice fields, so when I take my pooch out for a walk morning & evening he has a dump at the edge of the field, not on the paved road, beside the drink bottles and crisp packets the kids have thrown. At least dog poo is biodegradable.

Edited by wgdanson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A decree from a certain revered Thai leader accompanied by images along the lines of the "crying American Indian" anti-litter campaign of the 70's - 80's might help a bit. There is no public shaming associated with littering like in the West.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be far more inspiring if the Thais who commented on the girl and her picking up of rubbish actually took it upon themselves to physically pick up trash as an example, rather than lamenting the Thai attitude to rubbish situation on social media.

 

Until they start a movement, as Australia did with Clean up Australia Day nothing changes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some years ago the Orbortor put a load of nice red wheely bins around the lake in Nai Harn and as you came off the beach within a couple of weeks the had all gone,

There used to be an old guy used to go along Rawai beach picking up litter and them lazy boat boys just watched him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SammyT said:

 

Agreed, always the most frustrating thing is buying food or drink while wandering somewhere and then having to carry the litter for another 30 minutes until you can find somewhere to properly dispose of it. Pretty much the only consistent rubbish bins I've seen have been outside 7/11's. 

Not a problem. In a perfect world that 30 minute carry could save decades or more of degrading of the rubbish. In the army we carried the cans and packaging from our rations for days to avoid littering the jungle and harming the wild life.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still at it in 7/11 I only buy a packet of ciggys and they wanna put them in a bag

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Myran said:

"She was not after public acclaim for doing what most westerners would consider a civic duty."

 

Give me a break. During my many years in the West I've never seen someone pick up someone else's garbage in this manner. Kudos to the woman in the video, but acting like this is common practice in the West is absolutely ridiculous.

Really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I live surrounded by rice fields, so when I take my pooch out for a walk morning & evening he has a dump at the edge of the field, not on the paved road, beside the drink bottles and crisp packets the kids have thrown. At least dog poo is biodegradable.

I'll bet the farmers are dead chuffed at harvest time, when they settle down for lunch at the edge of their field...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

This would be far more inspiring if the Thais who commented on the girl and her picking up of rubbish actually took it upon themselves to physically pick up trash as an example, rather than lamenting the Thai attitude to rubbish situation on social media.

 

Until they start a movement, as Australia did with Clean up Australia Day nothing changes. 

100% true

All they will do is click the like button on fake book

or what ever social media site there on.

Then go back to posting pictures of themselves or there dinner.

 

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JAG said:

I'll bet the farmers are dead chuffed at harvest time, when they settle down for lunch at the edge of their field...

After a few heavy downpours there's nowt left.

 

What do many farmers use for fertilizer..............sh****t. Where do you think brown rice comes from?   LOL😂

Edited by wgdanson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...