Video: Thailand's shame: "We should be like farangs and keep our own country clean"

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/28/2019 at 11:34 AM, robblok said:

Plenty of foreigners who dump their trash too, however in general I think foreigners are far more conscious about littering. The problem in Thailand is that there are not many trash cans available to put your trash in when you have it. That also leads to littering. 

"The problem in Thailand is that there are not many trash cans available to put your trash in when you have it," so do what most Aussies do... take it with you. Littering fines are quite high, and you are likely to be told to pick up your rubbish. https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/driver-confronts-dirty-perth-motorist-who-discarded-cigarette-butt-out-window-ng-b881098734z

15 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

this aurtralian woman is nothing but stupid and i am sure this video is staged.

anyone that picks up garbage from the street is plain stupid and idiot.

and if she went to another country to do it than she is propably a mental case.

it is the duty of the municipality and people only need to keep it clean.

Very well said, you are an eloquent writer.  Have you aspired to be an author? Phenomenal use of words, awestruck.

On 1/28/2019 at 1:21 PM, Greyhat said:

If someone [else] wants to make a thread+poll to see if there's any interest I'd be happy to take part. I'm not sure many other members would be interested. Although intentionally shaming Thais isn't what I had in mind and is bad optics, you'd lose me if it went in this direction.

id pick up trash for a worthy cause

17 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

"The problem in Thailand is that there are not many trash cans available to put your trash in when you have it," so do what most Aussies do... take it with you. Littering fines are quite high, and you are likely to be told to pick up your rubbish. https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/driver-confronts-dirty-perth-motorist-who-discarded-cigarette-butt-out-window-ng-b881098734z

Jeez, who wants to live in a nanny state like Australia? Socially cuckolded, sad indeed.

Keep your laws at home as thankfully they wouldn't work here.

(I just threw a dead plant leaf over my balcony)

There is a $1,000 fine for littering on California, USA freeways. They stay fairly trash-free, but there's always the occasional pig sty creator driving around.

Maybe Thailand should consider stiff fines for littering. Naaaah, forget it. Nobody has money or anti-littering morals and thy wouldn't be enforced anyway.

On 2/8/2019 at 4:35 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

this aurtralian woman is nothing but stupid and i am sure this video is staged.

anyone that picks up garbage from the street is plain stupid and idiot.

and if she went to another country to do it than she is propably a mental case.

it is the duty of the municipality and people only need to keep it clean.

Mr Fitzgersld (did I spell it correctly) it is members like you I find obnoxious when you post like this.

And where an Aurtralian woman comes from I do not know. Propably from Aurtralia.

It is the duty of EVERYONE including Falangs and TV Members to keep the country clean.

Do you discard your fast food packaging, or foam plastic containers where they fall?

8 hours ago, HLover said:

Jeez, who wants to live in a nanny state like Australia? Socially cuckolded, sad indeed.

Refraining from throwing rubbish in the street or countryside is not because of a nanny state. It is simply keeping your own environment a nicer place to live.

I do agree that 'no rubbish' laws will not work here, because it already IS the law, but no one giveS a <DELETED> same as you.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:19 PM, RJRS1301 said:

I think it would show respect for the country, and now that so many local authorities are trying to confine waste, get the local services  involved as well. 

Market stall holders should be encouraged and rewarded for cutting down on litter for takeaways foods

Clean up Australia worked well and still does.

As did KEEP BRITAIN TIDY. We were taught in school not to drop litter, and that was 60 years ago for me. I still get so angry when I see it.

On 1/28/2019 at 8:28 PM, ocddave said:

I have one of those, I think they call it a beer belly ????

Consider your self lucky , most farangs in LOS , can just afford fresh water ,

I  should now , no big joke , sure . 555

"We should behave like farangs. We should keep our country clean and tidy for visitors in the first place". 

Or, if you can't stomach the idea of taking your cues from farangs, then you can learn from developed countries in Asia like Singapore, Taiwan or Japan.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:35 AM, SammyT said:

Agreed, always the most frustrating thing is buying food or drink while wandering somewhere and then having to carry the litter for another 30 minutes until you can find somewhere to properly dispose of it. Pretty much the only consistent rubbish bins I've seen have been outside 7/11's. 

OH!!! and theres not many of them are there?

On 1/28/2019 at 11:30 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Just this morning driving the kids to school, a task a gave up because what I see frustrates the crap out of me and this is in the country or provinces if you like.

As I drive through our village and the other 2 to get to the main road from around 7-7.30am, village people burning their rubbish and others having back burned their lands overnight with the smoke evident for the 20 minute drive to get the kids to school, fully knowing that they, the kids are going to have to stand in assembly for 30 minutes listening to the principal and others woffle on while the kids suck in the smoke that's in the air.

One of the villages over the bridge next to ours, i.e. in the opposite direction 200 metres away have their yellow bins, and no burning of any kind is permitted in the village, we obviously have the wrong mayor, too interested in his gambling habits, however he is not solely to blame, as I am told the old council members don't want to have to pay for the bins, as the residents don't have the funds to pay for a garbage service as well.

So the Thai solution is burn baby burn.....I'm all choked up ????

You are not even in Thailand. Should be chatting about Burmese people and their rubbish.

On 2/9/2019 at 8:47 AM, HLover said:

I find comments like this interesting. As a Westerner, we presumably have benefited significantly from what you call "Nanny State". The infrastructure we have used, the schools, the healthcare, myrid other benefits. 

Had any one of is been born as average as a Thai as we are a Farang, I think our perspectives might be very different. 

Farang that denigrate the "Nanny States" they come from while exploiting miserably backward countries like Thailand can do so almost entirely because those "Nanny States" gave them better opportunities. I know it's tempting to think 

"If I had been born an average Thai, I'd still be better than most because most of my success is because of me my hard work and my innate abilities." 

But, the truth is probably that a very significant contributor to our relative success is simply being born in countries that were already doing well.. and thousands of years of our western societies clawing and bleeding and sacrificing their ways to advancement and prosperity. 

I think we should learn to have more pride in our own societies, though they be imperfect. 

Anti littering, child motorbike riders, responsible parenthood. It all starts in the home at grass roots level. Children copy the adults.

Walk around most villages and you will see litter almost everywhere. Most villages have no litter bins or collection service. The few conscientious households end up either burning what they can or disposing of the trash near some roadside layby.

Parents are providing their kids from 9 or 10 years old with motorbikes then just accept the consequences. No training in road rules, no helmets, no awareness or understanding of other traffic behaviour.

Some, not all, of these shortcomings are admittedly due to economic circumstances. The Government does hand out funds annually for local improvements. I draw no conclusions as to the wisdom of the expenditure of these funds.

On 2/9/2019 at 12:47 PM, HLover said:

I'd say Australia is one up not having you amongst it's nanny state pestine beaches etc etc

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

I find comments like this interesting. As a Westerner, we presumably have benefited significantly from what you call "Nanny State". The infrastructure we have used, the schools, the healthcare, myrid other benefits. 

Had any one of is been born as average as a Thai as we are a Farang, I think our perspectives might be very different. 

Farang that denigrate the "Nanny States" they come from while exploiting miserably backward countries like Thailand can do so almost entirely because those "Nanny States" gave them better opportunities. I know it's tempting to think 

"If I had been born an average Thai, I'd still be better than most because most of my success is because of me my hard work and my innate abilities." 

But, the truth is probably that a very significant contributor to our relative success is simply being born in countries that were already doing well.. and thousands of years of our western societies clawing and bleeding and sacrificing their ways to advancement and prosperity. 

I think we should learn to have more pride in our own societies, though they be imperfect. 

The post that you are responding to is just another American (or those who aspire to be Alt right wing American)'libertarian' statement of dubious merit.

They spend their lives denouncing their own nation's so called infringements on"liberty" but then rush off to an authoritarian,militaristic state and proudly proclaim that they have discovered "freedom".

They have discovered nothing of the sort-they have merely chanced upon indifference-to their own rights or,indeed,anyone else's.

16 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

The post that you are responding to is just another American (or those who aspire to be Alt right wing American)'libertarian' statement of dubious merit.

They spend their lives denouncing their own nation's so called infringements on"liberty" but then rush off to an authoritarian,militaristic state and proudly proclaim that they have discovered "freedom".

They have discovered nothing of the sort-they have merely chanced upon indifference-to their own rights or,indeed,anyone else's.

Said so much more eloquently than I could have. Thank you. 

12 hours ago, fgmr said:

Anti littering, child motorbike riders, responsible parenthood. It all starts in the home at grass roots level. Children copy the adults.

Walk around most villages and you will see litter almost everywhere. Most villages have no litter bins or collection service. The few conscientious households end up either burning what they can or disposing of the trash near some roadside layby.

Parents are providing their kids from 9 or 10 years old with motorbikes then just accept the consequences. No training in road rules, no helmets, no awareness or understanding of other traffic behaviour.

Some, not all, of these shortcomings are admittedly due to economic circumstances. The Government does hand out funds annually for local improvements. I draw no conclusions as to the wisdom of the expenditure of these funds.

For all the kowtowing, prostrating, playing the national anthem daily, and everything else they do to honor the things they honor, you would think the government could sneak in 10 mins a day on TV encouraging them to clean up after themselves, or even instruct them on the correct masks to wear due to the pollution they can’t fix.

Truth of the matter is, they are peasants and treated as such. Keep them observant, keep them ignorant, and make them fend for themselves.

It’s pathetic governance. 

Archived