BANGKOK 19 July 2019 16:55
webfact

Video: Thailand's shame: "We should be like farangs and keep our own country clean"

And the ultimate insult is that she's riding a bicycle rather than polluting the air with a motor vehicle.

On 1/28/2019 at 10:34 AM, robblok said:

The problem in Thailand is that there are not many trash cans available to put your trash in when you have it.

Another big problem is that there are no dump sites where one can dump bigger items that won't fit in the garbage. 

On 1/28/2019 at 2:26 PM, Greyhat said:

Hypothetically speaking.. I wonder what the reaction would be if some kind of "farang litter day" began. For example if TV members agreed to go around picking up rubbish on a specific date. Not sure if it'd come across as shaming Thais or genuine respect for the country.

I think it would show respect for the country, and now that so many local authorities are trying to confine waste, get the local services  involved as well. 

Market stall holders should be encouraged and rewarded for cutting down on litter for takeaways foods

Clean up Australia worked well and still does.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

drag the lazy stepson

An accurate cliche if there ever was one here.

• Like 1

this aurtralian woman is nothing but stupid and i am sure this video is staged.

anyone that picks up garbage from the street is plain stupid and idiot.

and if she went to another country to do it than she is propably a mental case.

it is the duty of the municipality and people only need to keep it clean.

• Sad 2

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

It's "Australian"-try to keep the English right if you are trying to pretend that you are a famous (if moderately neurotic)American author.

"Khun Gatsby" just doesn't cut it..

On 1/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, Greyhat said:

Hypothetically speaking.. I wonder what the reaction would be if some kind of "farang litter day" began. For example if TV members agreed to go around picking up rubbish on a specific date. Not sure if it'd come across as shaming Thais or genuine respect for the country.

Can't do, no work permits for rubbish collection, it's a reserved occupation for Thai's - pity they don't don't bother. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, SammyT said:

Agreed, always the most frustrating thing is buying food or drink while wandering somewhere and then having to carry the litter for another 30 minutes until you can find somewhere to properly dispose of it. Pretty much the only consistent rubbish bins I've seen have been outside 7/11's. 

Here in Jomtien the locals leave their rubbish on the beach or the sidewalk when there's 3 bloody great big green bins on wheels not ten metres away.

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, Greyhat said:

It'll freeze in hell before I pick up other people's rubbish! I show my genuine respect for the country, sorry, the planet, by not littering, refusing as many plastic bags and cutlery as I can, turning off lights and electronic devices when not in use, walking to the nearest 7/11 when I need to grab a few items (and I still have to tell them I don't want a bag despite recent stories about it being policy at all stores nationwide to ask customers if they want a one or not). But picking up rubbish after this lot, who don't give a toss about their own homes, never mind their own country, just ain't going to happen. 

It's a nice thought/suggestion, but if the majority of people, both natives and expats, aren't behind the effort, then it's like pi$$ing in the wind - pointless. 

On 1/28/2019 at 10:34 AM, robblok said:

Plenty of foreigners who dump their trash too, however in general I think foreigners are far more conscious about littering. The problem in Thailand is that there are not many trash cans available to put your trash in when you have it. That also leads to littering. 

On 1/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, SammyT said:

Agreed, always the most frustrating thing is buying food or drink while wandering somewhere and then having to carry the litter for another 30 minutes until you can find somewhere to properly dispose of it. Pretty much the only consistent rubbish bins I've seen have been outside 7/11's. 

What you both dedcribe is a symptom. The real problem is a lack of civic responsibility. There are no trash cans because Thais, generally, care only for themselves individually or at a family or maybe close friend level. 

Ever see shop keepers cleaning, very carefully, only the pavement directly in front of their shops? 

Ever notice how the Thai tax base is small and they go to great lengths to avoid paying taxes? 

Ever notice how it's so difficult for Thai condo unit owners during the owners' meetings to form a quorum in anything related to expenditure? 

They lack a culture of civic responsibility, just like their cultural cousins the Chinese. 

• Like 1

An inflammatory post and a reply has been removed.

Off topic posts have been removed.