Chinese tourists injured in Chalong ATV accident

webfact

Chinese tourists injured in Chalong ATV accident

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

IMG_6641.jpg

Two Chinese tourists have sustained injuries after driving an ATV (All Terrain Vehicle – Dune Buggy) off the side of a hillside in Karon.

Rescue workers heard about the accident on the Nark Kerd Hills in Karon at 4.20pm yesterday (Sunday).

When they arrived they found the two injured female Chinese tourists. The pair were identified as 28 year old HUANG GUANG JUN, who sustained hip injuries, and 26 year old JIN TING, who sustained knees injuries from the crash.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/chinese-tourists-injured-in-chalong-atv-accident

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-01-28

14 minutes ago, xylophone said:

they might consider it is not safe to come here any more

In this case, they could go anywhere and the result would be the same.

Staffers have told police that they were both on the same ATV. When they started the ATV they hadn’t realised that it was in reverse gear. The ATV suddenly reversed straight back down the hill.

I have no words.

7 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

In this case, they could go anywhere and the result would be the same.

They can go anywhere they like as long as it's not Thailand............now I know how the Spanish felt when they were invaded by the loud, low class, ignorant yobs and conmen of yore.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Anybody know of a country where it is different, and a DL is required to drive on of these on private property?

I don't know about this specific ride, but I see lots of those driving on public roads. As for DL, I think we know the answer: even if required, a convenient envelope will ensure there won't be any checks.

26 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

I don't know about this specific ride, but I see lots of those driving on public roads. As for DL, I think we know the answer: even if required, a convenient envelope will ensure there won't be any checks.

See previous post, illegal on the public road.

Not applicable here though.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

See previous post, illegal on the public road.

Not applicable here though.

Do you know for a fact that they didn't drive on a public road first to reach that place? That's what they do on the hill between Nai Harn and Kata, before turning into the terrain.

8 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Do you know for a fact that they didn't drive on a public road first to reach that place? That's what they do on the hill between Nai Harn and Kata, before turning into the terrain.

Seems unlikely they were not on a public road temporary.

But it seems that has no bearing on this accident.

10 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Only a matter of time until a serious accident there.  When you have 10-15 of these vehicles following each other and a motorist looking to pass into oncoming traffic, it's only a matter of time.  These things are a hazard on the roads.

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

Only a matter of time until a serious accident there.  When you have 10-15 of these vehicles following each other and a motorist looking to pass into oncoming traffic, it's only a matter of time.  These things are a hazard on the roads.

Agree. This is Big Buddha Hill they're talking about and there are far too many of these ATVs operating there and just off the main road. As far as I know they all use the public road up there, before and/or after the off-road tracks, where they are very annoying for the increasing number of hikers taking the trail from Kata/Karon to Big Buddha.

But it's all about money and no doubt the taxi and minibus drivers get commission from the ATV guys (they certainly do from the elephant camps).

Archived