Two tier pricing: Thai temple slammed for ripping off tourists

webfact

Two tier pricing: Thai temple slammed for ripping off tourists

6pm.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

Thai netizens have laid into a temple in Chiang Mai who are charging a 50 baht admission fee just for foreign tourists.

A poster on Facebook - Aronong Silvestra - said they came across the box at the temple of Wat Suwan in Muang district of Chiang Mai. The box was in addition to a regular "donation box".

Aronong said it was not appropriate for religious and cultural sites like this to charge foreigners as they were not there to make a profit. 

Chiang Mai News said that many agreed with the sentiments. But others said that in foreign countries religious and cultural sites charge non-residents to visit aiding in the upkeep of such sites. 

They said that many temples in Chiang Mai were now doing this. 

A spokesman at the temple - Sawan Khwaenthaisong - was shown smiling in a video explaining what foreigners got for their 50 baht.

They were given a small bottle of water and an information leaflet. And those who came inappropriately dressed got a sarong. 

And they got a lovely little sticker, too. 

He assured the reporter - who appeared less sure - that every baht from the tourists would go to the upkeep of the temple. 

Thaivisa notes that many Thais and foreigners are not fooled by some temples and their charges - many believe that funds garnered in this way end up in the hands of unscrupulous people such as monks and lay figures who get rich on the proceeds.

Source: Chiang Mai News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-28

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, webfact said:

Chiang Mai News said that many agreed with the sentiments. But others said that in foreign countries religious and cultural sites charge non-residents to visit aiding in the upkeep of such sites

I am not aware of any that charge only ask for donations in Aus anyway .

Sigh. If you don't want to pay the 50B, don't go. 

Just a temple trying to look after it's upkeep, doing so by charging people who are going in there for non-religious purposes a fee, which to most westerners would be considered nominal. 

Nothing to see here...

19 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Sigh. If you don't want to pay the 50B, don't go. 

Just a temple trying to look after it's upkeep, doing so by charging people who are going in there for non-religious purposes a fee, which to most westerners would be considered nominal. 

Nothing to see here...

34 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thai temple slammed for ripping off tourists

you missed the point, it says ripping foreigners NOT Thais

19 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

You will pay 600 baht for 2 movie tickets popcorn and drinks.  Does 50 baht really mean that much to you?  Many Temples and parks are free for all people...go there to save money.

Would it be OK if they charged 600 baht for foreigners to enter the temple then?

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

many believe that funds garnered in this way end up in the hands of unscrupulous people such as monks and lay figures who get rich on the proceeds.

In that case they should close the temple and ordain the monks....this is not what Buddhism is about me thinks....

49 minutes ago, keith101 said:

St. Paul's Cathedral in London charges tourists to enter. Seems to me it was 5 pounds. I was shocked and didn't go in.

18 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

St. Paul's Cathedral in London charges tourists to enter. Seems to me it was 5 pounds. I was shocked and didn't go in.

2019 Sightseeing Prices

Why do I have to pay to enter St Paul's?
Admission Charges Walk-up Individual Rates Online Rates Group (10+) Rates
Adults (18yrs+) £20 £17 £17
Concessions
(Students* & 60yrs+)
£17.50 £15 £15
Children (6-17yrs) £8.50 £7.20 £7.20
Family Ticket
(2 Adults + 2 or 3 Children)
£48.50 £41.20  n/a
Family Ticket
(1 Adult + 2 or 3 Children)
£34 £29  n/a
Complimentary entry can be granted to a disabled visitor and an accompanying carer or necessary companion. Please request these tickets on arrival.
*Any student with a photo ID issued by their place of study can use the concession ticket. Please bring ID with you. It should be easily readable by Cathedral staff and not have expired. ISIC full-time student cards are also acceptable.

4 years ago, the White Temple in Chiang Rai was free. A pleasant experience and devoid of Chinese.

About 3 weeks ago was there again with the missus, and my dad who was over on holiday, 50 baht each for the two foreigners.

No problem from me, or my Dad, the problem for me and my (pissed off) missus were THE HORDES of Chinese.

As we don't live in Tourist Central, this was our first experience of two zillion Chinese taking selfies simultaneously in every square metre of the temple grounds.

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

In the UK some charge and often much more that 50 baht  However they do not have the racist policy of only charging foreigners locals get fleeced as well.

When they were still building this temple in 2010 it looked quite beautiful. Now the whole place just looks tacky. And females are not allowed into the main hall, which is the main attraction.

I suppose the temple's attitude is that 99% of Thais donate at least 20 baht per visit, whereas most foreigners do not. But far too many temples that used to be free are now charging. Even Wat Na Pramane in Ayutthaya now charges foreigners 20 baht, not to mention Wat Chedi Luang in Chiang Mai.

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

you missed the point, it says ripping foreigners NOT Thais

Nope, I absolutely got the point. Most Thais would go there for prayer purposes - most westerners would be going there to take photos and for nosiness. 50b for an unlimited amount of time in there isn't exactly going to break the bank. I know being in favour of two-tier pricing isn't a common thing around here, but for the sake of a couple of bucks, I'd pay it if I wanted to go in there badly enough

55 minutes ago, futsukayoi said:

In the UK some charge and often much more that 50 baht  However they do not have the racist policy of only charging foreigners locals get fleeced as well.

Plenty of things in New Zealand that New Zealanders get in for free or dirt cheap while foreigners pay more - cultural things like museums, galleries, Maori attractions. Funnily enough, the tourists don't seem to complain like all the cheap-charlie farang over here

"But others said that in foreign countries religious and cultural sites charge non-residents to visit aiding in the upkeep of such sites."

But, but.... if foreigners pay for the upkeep it means locals won't be "making merit" by upkeep!

or... perhaps a lesson from Buddha: "All life is suffering" so suffer this.

Regarding New Zealand, other places dirt cheap for residents: often these are supported by tax dollars from residents and not tourists so seems okay with me to charge visitors. Help them carry a bit of the load.

Well, dual pricing also takes place in Japan, but in reverse. Buy a Japan Rail Pass and save a bundle on fares. This is a concession for tourists that Japanese residents cannot access. 

Swings and roundabouts ... 

As for my own country, seniors who aren't Australian residents cannot access cheaper fares on public transport, so we also have dual pricing, although there's no sneaky attempt to hide it behind a different writing system, which is what irritates me here. 

If I enter a temple to make merit, I'll treat the temple with respect.

If I need to buy a ticket to enter a temple, I'll treat the temple as a tourist attraction and show less respect: I won't pee up a wall, but I also won't wai any monk there.

It demeans and devalues the teachings of Buddha for temples to make money by selling entrance tickets.

Wat Chedi Luang makes millions from untraceable Thai bank notes each day. Temples are exempt from formal financial audits. Where does this money go? It seems from the original article that both Thais and foreigners know the answer. Chedi Luang is a corrupt cesspit.

6 minutes ago, Emdog said:

"But others said that in foreign countries religious and cultural sites charge non-residents to visit aiding in the upkeep of such sites."

But, but.... if foreigners pay for the upkeep it means locals won't be "making merit" by upkeep!

or... perhaps a lesson from Buddha: "All life is suffering" so suffer this.

Regarding New Zealand, other places dirt cheap for residents: often these are supported by tax dollars from residents and not tourists so seems okay with me to charge visitors. Help them carry a bit of the load.

A lot of Thais already informally donate to temples as part of their regular way of life. The nosy tourist who goes in for a few holiday snaps absolutely doesn't unless they are made to pay a donation. I'd be outraged if it was 500b, but if I really wanted to go in I'd probably just pay the 50b, god (or Buddha) knows I'd blow more than that on an extra beer at a pub without a second thought. 

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

Who in their right mind would pay so much just to see a bloody church what a rip off .

if you have no interest in culture, history or aesthetics then you do right to save your money. everyone to their own.

and to answer your question, quite a few:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/586808/st-paul-s-cathedral-visitor-numbers-united-kingdom-uk/

Archived