BANGKOK 19 March 2019 13:10
Tagged

You got 3 rai farmland?

I stopped reading after...'family will take care of the land' 🙄

• Haha 1

There are thousands of expats tending their wife's farms. "good money in crabs"🙂

And here we go. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vinniekintana said:

I stopped reading after...'family will take care of the land' 🙄

Then you lost the whole point with the tread. 

1 hour ago, heybuz said:

There are thousands of expats tending their wife's farms. "good money in crabs"🙂

And you to, since Im fully aware of my limits. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 5:03 PM, Tagged said:

You got 3 rai farmland in Isan, what would you do with it? Time perspective is 20 eyars +. 

Make it in to a nice park-like garden. 

BBQ area, stone pizza oven, pond area, sitting area, walking trail with lots of trees. 

Edited by Happy Grumpy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, heybuz said:

Yes my wife  inherited the family rubber tree farm about 2 years ago ... it's managed well "150 Rai" ( i keep my mouth shut) it's  ok but it's becoming a burden for us ,

always something going wrong when we are on holidays.

Yeh have a look at the kings plan land modules, they are really interesting for small hobby farmers ... 1/2 acre for fish would be interesting......corn, bananas... depends how fit you are too....or just trying to be self sufficient.

Just got the land prepared for planting hardwood, fruit, and gras. But Im not happy since I would like to use a land roller to, but there is nowhere to find. 

Anyone know if there are available in thailand in a size for an atv or simular wehicle. Some grass rollers size? 

Try looking for a rotary hoe or rototiller to break up the soil but leave some aeration

@IsaanAussie

Thank you for your answer. We did the discharrow and rototiller, but still very lumpy and not hwo I would like to leave it until the rainseason start. I would do it again and then fertilize the land. Any suggestions after they had thai potato there? What to do. Any place we can get examinated the soil here in Thailand? 

Ph we will check, and Im trying to figure out if we can use a mix of chicken shit and buffalo or any other shit? 

They say here the chicken shit is no good, only use buffalo shit, and then how much buffalo shit for a rai? 

Im sure many others have asked the same question, but do not find the treads now. 

In my part of Isaan I wouldn't even try to get a plough into the ground at this time of year. Our soil is mostly clay and as hard as a rock now. About the only way to break it up is with a ripper.

So since you have tilled the ground your soil must be better than mine or still have a reasonable moisture content. 

The hot season is starting and there will not be any reasonable rains until May at the earliest. My first thoughts would be to get your water supply established, dig any ponds, planting holes for trees, change the contours you have planned and start collecting organic materials to incorporate early in the wet season. Without moisture nothing much will happen as far as soil condition goes. 

I would be working on compost to incorporate after the first rains. Many of the weed seeds will germinate with those rains and turning them back in with the compost will kill most. 

I have found the extremely low organic matter level in the soil is the real issue. Check your local area for things like cassava peel, sugarcane bagasse that you can buy cheap and compost. 

If you find a local soil testing service beyond NPK testing let me know. 

• Like 2

The only rollers I have seen, are home make ones, 40gallon oil drum filled with concrete, with a 2 inch bar giong though, to mount a draw bar, but a roller of this type is the last thing you need ,it will compact the land and prvent draniage ,and if the land was already a rice field it would just add to the drainage problem, what you need ,but they are not avallable in Thailnad is a Cambridge / ring roller .

As IA said organic matter is the bigest problem with Thai soil or rather lack of it, you could as soon as any rain comes to put in a crop of Mung Beans, a legume crop grow them for say 2 months then get your disc harrow and work the mung beans in the land, a good green manure 

As for apping muck on land, when I was in the uk it was 10 ton /arca, but this was wet manuar, with a lot of straw in most muck in Thailnd is dry ,so 10ton/rie in the uk would be 4ton/rie, as i said with it being dry about 1 1/2 ton /rie would be about right, which is what we put on our Nappier grass ,can you find that amount of muck in your part of Issan .

Chicken muck is not that bad, has a high percent of urea lot of rice husks  in it , does not last as long as cattal manuar, around here it is all apped to sugar cane fields after cutting, and to some fields before planting .

A few years ago my neiboure was growing some cucumbers, he whanted some chicken muck, I went halves with a load, no weight to it seemed to go nowhere ,compaired to cow manuar, I would say to do any good you would need at least 1 1/2 ton/rie .

• Like 1

@kickstart

this is how the soil look like now. 

Not to bad, I just checked it a week ago just walking around and stamp it, the dirt did brake up, but a bit hard now. 

So we will do another round after we put on the buffalo shit, and mix it good before the reain sets in. 

We will put 25 bags a rai with buffalo shit to start with. And a bag with fertilizer pr rai. 

D49538E9-F494-4389-978D-A351D9DB1729.jpeg

48E5ADEB-60FD-46F5-BC7F-51C42154E2AD.jpeg

ECC167E6-78A3-46ED-B870-61BAD15D8718.jpeg

• Like 2

Where can I buy trees? Not just trees, but good trees. 

Yang Na trees, and other hard wood trees, and also Fruit trees. Petchabun, Chaiyaphum, Korat Khonkaen?