Pump turns on every 17 minutes and runs 6 seconds all the time.

Mango Bob

I have a Mitsubishi 205Q2 water pump and a very big tank for the water supply.   Recently the pump turns on about every 17 minutes and pumps for around 6 seconds.   I have check everything looking for a leak and can not find one.  Could this be a problem with the water pump?  I have opened the two Plugs to make sure no air inside.  But don't know what to do from here.   Any Advice??????

You don't have a valve after the pump to close?

If you close it and the pump still goes on it is within the pump.

A "popular" leak that is hard to detect is the toilet flush.

Water slowly dripping from the small tank to the bowl.

Close the valve (which should always be there for such connection).

EDIT: grollies was 0.5 sec faster :biggrin:

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

If you close it and the pump still goes on is within the pump.

I do have a turn off valve after the pump.  I will give that a try tomorrow when no one else is home.  Also, a good idea to turn off the toilet value, (4 of them in the house) but I still don't think it is the toilet.  

Anyone else has more advice please let me know.   

Depending on where you are, you might be able to, as we did, get the water guys from the Water Department to come around and find the leak for you. I'm in Bang Khen in Bangkok and had the same problem as you, and they turned up with these long listening devices that they poked around the house with and were able to "hear" where the underground leak was. Took them all of about 15 mins to find it, and from memory we slung 'em 500 baht and everyone was happy.

1 minute ago, Mango Bob said:

I do have a turn off valve after the pump.  I will give that a try tomorrow when no one else is home.  Also, a good idea to turn off the toilet value, (4 of them in the house) but I still don't think it is the toilet.  

Tell us what happens and I'm sure we'll review with suggestions. 

4 minutes ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

Depending on where you are, you might be able to, as we did, get the water guys from the Water Department to come around and find the leak for you. I'm in Bang Khen in Bangkok and had the same problem as you, and they turned up with these long listening devices that they poked around the house with and were able to "hear" where the underground leak was. Took them all of about 15 mins to find it, and from memory we slung 'em 500 baht and everyone was happy.

Thanks for the information.  That line goes to our whole house including under cement and tile walkway from the pump into the house.

Do you have a pressurisation vessel in your system? Like a compressed air bottle with a Schrader type valve, (like a car tyre valve) on the top usually. If so, there could be a small leak in the bladder inside. Or a slight loss of pressure. 

Every 17 minutes indicates a VERY SLOW leak... i.e. like a tap dripping every couple of seconds.  (I had the same problem, but my pump was starting every 20-30 seconds, and I found a cracked "screwed elbow" buried in a wall.)

If it was a toilet overfilling or a slow leak you probably wouldn't see it.  Try mixing some dark ink into your cisterns to "see" it better...  Or it could be some sand or a small piece of fibre/thread in the pump non return valve - shut off the pump outlet valve to check this (or even the pump inlet if there's no outlet valve - but be ready to open it as soon as the pump starts or it'll damage it).

Failing that it'll probably be a badly glued fitting somewhere totally inaccessible... 

22 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

Turn the values off (then back on) one at a time... starting with the one after the pump...

51 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

Thanks for the information.  That line goes to our whole house including under cement and tile walkway from the pump into the house.

Yep, same here. We had a lot of digging and replacing to do after they found it. I hope you have better luck Bob.

Interesting, this happens in the place I stay. I hear it go all day randomly with no water running.

Also, another issue with the shower is (sorry to hijack the thread)..if you reduce water pressure at the valve in the shower to increase heat, the pressure drops for 5 seconds then pumps back up,and this happens ever 15-30 seconds..not sure exactly but couple or few times a minute.

Yet the pump is called 'constant pressure' which it unfortunately is not..it's really annoying as the water pressure needs to be reduced in the shower to get the heat up at this time of year.

I read on <URL Automatically Removed> website which is quite extensive that there is a valve you can dial to stop this after switching off the system but I have not got round to locating it. Think it is a mitsubishi unit less than 2 years old.

I must admit to reading you DIY peeps. Find it funnier than the fun section. I was terrified, nay nearly killed by an Bank Manager Uncles falling full wall cupboard . Neither me or my Cousin have touched anything DIY since both avoiding death at 12 years old. Now i watch ferang friends, water leaks, power cuts, electric shocks, you name it its a cock up whatever they do too. Can You send your Chap round is the regular departure cry.,!

13 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

in the shower to get the heat up at this time of year.

Yes OT but...

Upcountry you need at least 6 KW heater not a cheapo 4.5 KW.

4 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I must admit to reading you DIY peeps.

Thank you for the compliment. I enjoy fixing things but it does take a certain level of skill and ingenuity.

It sounds like the pressure tank has a leak in the rubber diaphragm. You can get a replacement from Mitsubishi. This is a very common problem and the pressure tanks need replacing every few years.   

53 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

How old is the pump. Eventually they will spring a leak in the orange tank that the pump sits on. This happens because of corrosion.

If it is the Mitsubishi EP 205Q2, it does not sit on a tank. However, if it is the WP 205Q2 then that could be the problem.  

46 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Yes OT but...

Upcountry you need at least 6 KW heater not a cheapo 4.5 KW.

Thank you for the compliment. I enjoy fixing things but it does take a certain level of skill and ingenuity.

Right,spot-on it is a 4.5kW.

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

If you close it and the pump still goes on it is within the pump.

You were right is it was a toilet leaking.  I have four toilets and closed them all off.  Then open one at a time after waiting 30 minutes.  It was the first toilet that leaked.  Now I got that one closed and the others open with no leak.  Now just have to get the toilet fixed.

Thank you and everyone else for your help.  I really appreciate it. 

8 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

You were right is it was a toilet leaking.  I have four toilets and closed them all off.  Then open one at a time after waiting 30 minutes.  It was the first toilet that leaked.  Now I got that one closed and the others open with no leak.  Now just have to get the toilet fixed.

Thank you and everyone else for your help.  I really appreciate it. 

It maybe as simple as giving the ball valve a tweak down a bit. Take the top off the cistern and have a look.

2 houses I have lived in had 'galvanized'iron elbows fitted to the pvc pipes..these rust through in time.I have had to have pvc pipes fitted around the house and disconnected the original pipework.Some neighbours here have had the same problems.

5 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Interesting, this happens in the place I stay. I hear it go all day randomly with no water running.

Also, another issue with the shower is (sorry to hijack the thread)..if you reduce water pressure at the valve in the shower to increase heat, the pressure drops for 5 seconds then pumps back up,and this happens ever 15-30 seconds..not sure exactly but couple or few times a minute.

Yet the pump is called 'constant pressure' which it unfortunately is not..it's really annoying as the water pressure needs to be reduced in the shower to get the heat up at this time of year.

I read on <URL Automatically Removed> website which is quite extensive that there is a valve you can dial to stop this after switching off the system but I have not got round to locating it. Think it is a mitsubishi unit less than 2 years old.

If your pump is cycling on and off like that it is the bladder.

Dismantle, empty of water and re-fit making sure all  hose connections are tight. 

IMG20190129153814.jpg

21 hours ago, grollies said:

You have a leak. The pressure in the pump is dropping slowly causing the pressure switch to activate.

The first response is the correct answer. You don't need to read anymore past this post, so don't read what I wrote ... Seriously, call a plumber or handyman to find the leak and repair it. If it's in a pipe behind the walls it could be causing serious damage. 

You have a leak somewhere in your water system , I have had the same problem with a leaking toilet cistern .

You need to trace the leak and stop it , because the continuous on/off of your pump will eventually damage it .

The spare part is not easy to find and maybe expensive , or you might have to buy a new pump .

Archived