Diabetes

Golden Triangle

Hi all, GF has just got back from a weekend with her family, they did a charity run for the local schools, anyway she just told me that her father - 74, has been told by the local clinic that he is diabetic, he doesn't smoke or drink alcohol, apparently he does like his Thai deserts, surely 74 is too old to be contracting even type 2 diabetes ? Or am I wrong ??

Hi all, GF has just got back from a weekend with her family, they did a charity run for the local schools, anyway she just told me that her father - 74, has been told by the local clinic that he is diabetic, he doesn't smoke or drink alcohol, apparently he does like his Thai deserts, surely 74 is too old to be contracting even type 2 diabetes ? Or am I wrong ??
It can develop at any age and the older one gets the more common. Also the more one weighs.

Norhing unusual about being diagnosed with it after age 70.

He may also have had it for several years prior to diagnosis.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It can develop at any age and the older one gets the more common. Also the more one weighs.

Norhing unusual about being diagnosed with it after age 70.

He may also have had it for several years prior to diagnosis.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks Sheryl, the guy is built like a racing snake - thin. he is pretty fit for a 74 year old as he and one of his sons do all the work on the farm (Orchard) Oh well, no hope for me then :smile:

17 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Thanks Sheryl, the guy is built like a racing snake - thin. he is pretty fit for a 74 year old as he and one of his sons do all the work on the farm (Orchard) Oh well, no hope for me then :smile:

Unfortunately just being thin does not mean you will stay healthy. My brother always thin could eat what he wanted and did so now got it too. Its all about food choices and portion control.

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

My mother has never had an ounce of excess weight on her yet has had type 2 diabetes since around age 60. Ran in her family, genetic.

yeah, my dad and his mom (my grandma) were both diabetic and it sorta cascaded down to me when I turned 50 but I had a serious weight problem at the time, good diet and not eating excessively but due I think to a slower metabolism from getting older...I ballooned and then with the onset it was like the balloon was pricked by a needle and I deflated and suddenly lost about 30lbs...went and saw the doc and he said to check into the hosp NOW as I had diabetic ketoacidosis which can be fatal...

Archived