Applying for permanent (5yr) license

new2here

I thought I’d post the experience of applying at TCT for a NEW 5yr license. My best friend went today and I went with him - so my report is first hand. My friend applied as having a degree in education from a US college and not thru other methods like testing (those infamous tests that may or may not be offered anymore) or having a teaching license from another country.

TCT is currently renovating the first floor of the building where teaching licenses (both temporary 2yr and permanent 5yr) are submitted, so the whole process has temporarily moved upstairs to the 2nd floor of the same building. A numbered queue system is still used.

Here is what his application package included:

a) The KS 01 application filled out

Note that the accepting officer reviewed EVERYTHING on this form several times and verified some data against TCT records on their computer.

b) The Professional Evaluation form.

The accepting officer checked carefully that each person (you must have 3+ people) who was on your “evaluation” form also included a copy of their own TCT card to prove their teaching status and tenure.

c) Copy of current passport.

The accepting officer wanted to see the whole series of extension of stays to cover the time that was written on the KS01. So, in my fiends case, that was 6 years, so the officer wanted to make sure that a copy of every extension of stay going back 6 years was included.

d) Copy of work permit.

You have to submit a copy of every page that has any stamp or writing on it, even if that was written (or printed by Labour) on it. Only wholly blank pages can be omitted.

e) 2 identical photos.

Interestingly, before my friend, we saw a few teachers who were turned away because the photo was the wrong size - too big. It MUST be that exact size as listed on the KS01. I suspect this is because the second photo will be used for plastic license card.

f) fee payment.

You have to pay the fee before. TCT can’t accept any payments at their office. So you have to do the fee payment by Pay-At-Post. 500 baht plus B10 service fee. Make sure the name on the receipt matches your name as on your KS01.

g) Professional Development

The KS01 does not appear to REQUIRE proof of professional development to apply, but normally as a condition of getting a second or third 2yr waiver, there usually is an expectation (enforced or not is another issue) that you’ve done some professional development. So, my friend enclosed a copy of his certificates for each professional development event he attended going back 6 years.

h) Proof of Degree.

HERE is where things got interesting. My friend had a copy of his degree, a copy of his transcript and a letter confirming his degree and details, sent directly from the university in a sealed envelope addressed TO HIM and mailed TO HIM and not to TCT.

The officer inspected the envelope CAREFULLY before opening, to see if it was still sealed. He then opened it and took out the 3 documents. He CLOSELY checked them and ultimately stapled them together with the envelope they came in.

He said to my friend that at processing they will check that the university is TCT approved and the degree itself was acceptable, but that “most American Universities” and “Education” majors were TCT compliant. He also said that because the degree, transcript and letter weren’t mailed DIRECTLY to TCT, that he had to keep the envelope as proof of how the documents came to TCT.

The officer did specifically say degrees are supposed to be mailed to TCT from the foreign colleges, but that at processing TCT will check. So, in the end, his degree and such were accepted, but I suspect will be subject to secondary inspection.

After about :15 of paperwork inspection and a few minutes of computer entry work my friends was done.

The officer said that processing time is TWO months and the license - if approved (and he did say “if approved”) would be mailed to his school. My friend asked if it could be mailed to him as the school might be closed for summer break, but the officer said “cannot”

The officer explained that first the application would be “verified” (he didn’t state what that exactly entails) by TCT staff and if verified, would then be put to the “committee” for approval or denial. He did say that the committee meets a few times a month. Once approved, then plastic card license printed and mailed.

Here’s one issue he had. His current extension expires in May because that’s when his 3rd 2yr waiver expires. So the officer said that he could apply for another 2yr (which would be his 4th) just in case the permanent license wasn’t ready by then. My friend said that he has already had 3 waivers and the officer said that IF his 5 yr license wasn’t done before his current extension expires, to come and apply for another 2yr, but to be sure to inform the TCT staff that he has an application in process for a permanent 5yr and that he could get a 4th waiver because his 5yr license wasn’t ready - but that he had filed the application already.

At the end, he didn’t get any paperwork or receipt to prove he applied for a 5yr and unlike the 2yr waiver, he didn’t get any “return to get your letter” type receipt either.

All in all, it wasn’t a bad experience as I could tell. The accepting officer spoke quite good English and explained most steps of the process as he did them. A few of the earlier foreigners who I saw turned away appeared to have photo problems (wrong size), didn’t pay the fee earlier (can’t pay at the TCT itself) or was missing some papers. It appears that unlike Labour who I’ve seen accept an incomplete application pending you bringing in those missing/incorrect papers at a later time before final approval, TCT won’t accept an incomplete application or “pending” paperwork.

Hope this helps someone else applying.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My application seemingly wasn't scrutinized as much. It was actually a pleasant experience as Thai bureaucracies go. Inpsid at the window downside. Rec'd a blue reciept. Nine weeks later had my license.

From my understanding I doubt they review every ten days outside heavy application months.

The account is detailed and resembles 90% of my experience

Dress well

• 3 months later...

Thought I’d close this for anyone interested. My friend got his license in the mail today.

So the total time from date of application (28Jan) to date of mailing by TCT (they used registered mail so you can see the date it was mailed) was 95 days..

The license is a plastic card (standard credit card size/shape) with his photo on it. It arrived in a half-sheet paper sized envelope.

Along with the actual plastic license card was a personalized, hand signed, license certificate which is much like a university degree certificate. Nice for framing I guess.

Lastly, a single piece of paper that spells out when to renew (not less than 180 days before the end of the 5th year)

One thing I noted, the license- while valid for 5 full years - was date started as of the date he actually applied: 28 Jan... and not the date it appears it was actually approved - 29Apr.

While not a big deal, that means the first license really is valid for about 4.75 years, owning to the 95 day gap between date of application and date of approval.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I am over 70 now and must renew my license soon.    Is there anything different when you are over 70 or is it the same for any age?  My eyesight and reflexes all good, just want to make sure if there are any special rules.  thanks in advance

3 hours ago, Lost in LOS said:

I am over 70 now and must renew my license soon.    Is there anything different when you are over 70 or is it the same for any age?  My eyesight and reflexes all good, just want to make sure if there are any special rules.  thanks in advance

There's usually no difference when you're over 70 and healthy. You must show enough "educational development," which could be online courses, weekend seminars, etc...

You can start to apply for renewing your license 180 days before expiration. 

Important is that you'll get the green light from the boss of the local labor department, an adorable guy your age was being denied to continue teaching in Ubon because of his generation.

When I've got the time, I do some courses on "Future Learn"-they send you a document that you've completed a course, you'll also find free webinars and other "upgrades" that the TCT accepts as educational development. https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/categories/teaching-courses?utm_campaign=fl_may_2019&utm_source=newsletter_segment&utm_content=Te_category_cta&utm_medium=futurelearn_organic_email&utm_term=020519_NL_TARGETED_BM_A

Best of luck with your extension! 

Please see attachment. 

Renewing Teacher's license.jpg

A small correction.

Renewal of a teacher license must be done at least 180 days before expiration, not in the last 180 days! If you do it within 180 days you have to give reasons why you are late with applying.

I recently applied and like new2here the waiting time is around 3 months. I understood mine has already been approved, but I have to wait a few weeks before they send it. Maybe they make the actual license once a month or so. 

Strange that new2here says you can't pay at the TCT. There is a form to pay at the post office. But I was unable to do so as they now seem to require a barcode. The form says you can also include the money in cash with your application, so i did just that without any problem.

20 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

There's usually no difference when you're over 70 and healthy. You must show enough "educational development," which could be online courses, weekend seminars, etc...

You can start to apply for renewing your license 180 days before expiration. 

Important is that you'll get the green light from the boss of the local labor department, an adorable guy your age was being denied to continue teaching in Ubon because of his generation.

When I've got the time, I do some courses on "Future Learn"-they send you a document that you've completed a course, you'll also find free webinars and other "upgrades" that the TCT accepts as educational development. https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/categories/teaching-courses?utm_campaign=fl_may_2019&utm_source=newsletter_segment&utm_content=Te_category_cta&utm_medium=futurelearn_organic_email&utm_term=020519_NL_TARGETED_BM_A

Best of luck with your extension! 

Please see attachment. 

Renewing Teacher's license.jpg

thanks for the help.  I am not working, just retired but was afraid they had some special rules over 70, per rumors.   A relief that all is good as long as I am good, and I am.  thanks

A small correction.

Renewal of a teacher license must be done at least 180 days before expiration, not in the last 180 days! If you do it within 180 days you have to give reasons why you are late with applying.

I recently applied and like new2here the waiting time is around 3 months. I understood mine has already been approved, but I have to wait a few weeks before they send it. Maybe they make the actual license once a month or so. 

Strange that new2here says you can't pay at the TCT. There is a form to pay at the post office. But I was unable to do so as they now seem to require a barcode. The form says you can also include the money in cash with your application, so i did just that without any problem.

I *think* perhaps the reason we saw someone turned away when my friend applied in late January was at that time (and maybe still is) the actual place that you normally do applications was closed and totally under renovation.

So all application activities were moved upstairs temporarily and that temporary area really was nothing more than portable/foldable plastic tables lined up in a row.

The downstairs area used to be much more secure “window” service whereby an applicant remains behind the glass and really has no access to anything of the TCTs.

So.. perhaps TCT wasn’t accepting cash at that point in time (late January) was due to the fact that maybe they had no convenient way to safety accept and secure cash... just my guess given how the operation was set up back in late January. Just my guess.

Archived