Koh Kret island in Pak Kret

tebee

My wife is thinking about buying a house on Koh Kret. Now I've been there, quite like the fact that there is no cars and it's relatively safe to cycle there. Am wondering what it is like after all the tourists go home - very quiet?

Being in the middle of the Chao Phraya river I assume it must flood sometimes too.

Anybody any experience of this place - it seems to be more of a place for Thais to visit rather than westerners 

Hmm. Well i have sat outside Chitbeer up to mid calf in floodwater. Or maybe more correctly high tide water and have run across the middle or more correctly waded across the middle.

Yes you can cycle around. How many times are you going to cycle around before you get slightly bored with the route?

I think ferries stop at 9pm. But I suspect there are smaller craft later for "locals"

Wow much do they charge for long-term parking.

Might be OK for a weekend escape but to live full time although Big C is not that far by songtaew?

You might succumb to "island fever"

Quite an interesting idea and depending where the house is, none of the visitors to the island will bother you at all.

Solitude.

On the other hand there is nothing to do. It's not "very quite" but absolutely dead. Everything on the island shuts down after the visitors leave.

So I guess it depend what you are looking for.

You might be more happy with a remote property somewhere with road access.

Not just that, but its also quite forbidden or completely ignored to anyone from outoftheisland, as in fact is the case in many closely knit smaller island-communities anywhere. IS your wife from that tribe (the pottery-mons?). In fact I guess you=the wife wont even be able to acquire land there.

ON the other=west side of Pak Kred are still-for now-large areas of near complete silence and just minutes from the new road to the pak kred bridge, in Patum Thanee province. For how long that will remain---no one knows.

One day those longtailboats to pak kred were yelling HEY HEY YOU to me but we didn't need their boat....then they started yelling to my wife that she was a dirty Ho who liked white saucages and stuff like that.

And for biking there, i remember them being very annoying for daily visitors, one even drove into me with the rented bicycle.

Plus it was flooded during the big flood.

I won't go there again and sure not live there.

14 hours ago, asanee said:

Not just that, but its also quite forbidden or completely ignored to anyone from outoftheisland, as in fact is the case in many closely knit smaller island-communities anywhere. IS your wife from that tribe (the pottery-mons?). In fact I guess you=the wife wont even be able to acquire land there.

ON the other=west side of Pak Kred are still-for now-large areas of near complete silence and just minutes from the new road to the pak kred bridge, in Patum Thanee province. For how long that will remain---no one knows.

There is no restrictions about buying or living there - only about 30% of the population there are ethnic Mon anyway and they are mostly concentrated into  3 districts.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:02 AM, VocalNeal said:

Hmm. Well i have sat outside Chitbeer up to mid calf in floodwater. Or maybe more correctly high tide water and have run across the middle or more correctly waded across the middle.

Yes you can cycle around. How many times are you going to cycle around before you get slightly bored with the route?

I think ferries stop at 9pm. But I suspect there are smaller craft later for "locals"

Wow much do they charge for long-term parking.

Might be OK for a weekend escape but to live full time although Big C is not that far by songtaew?

You might succumb to "island fever"

Yes, but in Europe cycling is my main form of exercise, I've not found anywhere on the mainland I'd feel safe cycling in thailand.

I live in a small village in a rural area in Europe so I'm used to fairly quiet / completely dead . I drove back from the house I'm renovating to the one I'm living in last night at about 10pm. in 30km, half on rural roads, half on a main road, I saw 3 other cars !

Archived