Lucky Me Brand Instant Miso Udon Noodles

Jingthing

This line of products was introduced in Thailand last year. They are unfried instant udon noodle bowls with a choice of flavor packets. I've tried all the flavor packets and the only one I like is the miso, but I like that a lot. The tom yum one is too sweet.

Lucky Me! Spicy Miso Flavor Udon 122g

I was impressed with their marketing ploy and how well it worked on me.

During the early months they were in Tops as 2 for 1. So I tried all the flavors and liked the product so much that I bought a large supply at the cheap price.

But that eventually ran out. 

So now I need to have it and will pay full price although occasionally they have 5 baht off promotions.

The full price for the kit with a bowl was 49 baht. But the Miso product in a bowl is not stocked anymore so it's without the bowl for 39 baht. I still see the tom yum bowl as the only choice.

The directions without the bowl are only pour boiling water over but I've never done that. I've always used a microwave method in either their bowl or my own bowl. 

These are instant noodles and included are the noodles, a dried vegetable pack, and of course the seasoning, in this case miso.

I have found this product so incredibly versatile. 

Like for breakfast (or lunch) can make by microwaving hot water in a home bowl and maybe add some simple stuff like some tofu, chicken slices, or a hard boiled egg.

Another thing you can do is to do it in two or three steps. First for about four minutes with only some tomatoes and sliced green beans, or whatever vegetables you prefer (also the dried packet).

Then another three minutes with the noodles and miso seasoning.

Then add the proteins (egg /cooked meat/ tofu, whatever) for another minute or so. 

But can also expand into a full dinner meal!

Similar to breakfast but double the water.

In a separate bowl pour boiled water over vermicelli noodles.

Add additional seasoning to the main larger bowl such as chili garlic paste/ Thai dried shimp chile, whatever you like.

Drain the vermicelli and put them in a bigger bowl at a later step such as when you add the proteins.

Very delicious.

any instant (ramen) noodles with left over stir fry added is nice fer breakfast...recently I've been getting the brown miso paste from makro, dissolving about 2 tbbl in hot water then adding the noodles from a packet of instant mama noodles (discard the flavoring packets) add some more hot water cover and let sit for 10 - 15mins...or the dissolved miso paste alone then add some cubed tofu and chopped green onion...hits the spot anytime day or night...

Sure but I especially like that the Lucky Me brand uses unfried noodles and I also think their miso flavor is very good. I know it's not the cheapest fast noodles, even at 2 for 1!

In college and in my 20's I know full well about the instant ramen lifestyle!

dunno...when in college and I saw instant ramen for the first time in 1970 it was 50 cents for a packet...figured that I'd do better with some instant Kraft mac and cheese fer the same price...I was lucky as I learned how to cook lentils and beans earlier and celery, carrots and onions were cheap...feed 4 people for a couple of bucks...the bread was extra, of course, gotta have sourdough...this was before miso was widely available in supermarkets...

if as you say Lucky Me has got udon noodles then I'll look out fer it...they're nicer than ramen...

oh, for some soba...

• 3 weeks later...

I have been buying the Udon noodle packs for some time mainly because I like the fresh vacuum packed noodles, not necessarily the flavor packs so I usually make my own sauce.  I tried the Miso flavor sauce last night and think that you have been here too long if you thought the sauce was good.  It reminds me of the typical Thai noodle shop where one of the condiments added is a heaping tablespoon full of chilly flakes.  IMHO, it had absolutely no "miso" taste, just chillys.  I've tried all of the sauces and the one that I like is no longer available here, only Tempura, which is Okay but not Tempura, Tom Yong and the Spicy Miso, which both taste like nam prik.

where to find this product at the supermarket? are the packets refrigerated? I'll try out the flavoring but I'd basically like some udon noodles to substitute for my usual breakfast instant ramen...mix with leftovers, miso paste, etc...left over stir fried greens in oyster sauce and garlic are good for this purpose...

6 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

where to find this product at the supermarket? are the packets refrigerated? I'll try out the flavoring but I'd basically like some udon noodles to substitute for my usual breakfast instant ramen...mix with leftovers, miso paste, etc...left over stir fried greens in oyster sauce and garlic are good for this purpose...

Not refrigerated and I have only found them at Tesco.  Mine are on the aisle where the Mama noodles are.  Come in two different packs, one with bowl and one without, 10 baht difference in price/pack.. The noodles are good as they are fresh and vacuum packed but I don't really like any of the sauces.

I actually found a noodle dish in 7-11 that's not bad.  It's in the frozen food sexton.  It's called Konkotsu Ramen and looks nothing like the picture on the outside of the pack.  Put in the micro for 6 minutes and it's tastes okay but, although the dish is big, the portion is small and is okay if you have 2 or add your own condiments.  It's expensive also, 50 baht.

The only place that I know of in Pattaya that has this ramen is Central Food Hall supermarket at the mall. Before they had it even in mini Tops. At Central Food Hall the only flavors I'm seeing are Tom Yum and Miso and considering they used to market more flavors than that, it's fair to assume those are the most popular. To the member that complained the Miso flavor didn't have enough Miso, well you can buy miso to add more miso. I often add more seasoning anyway as mentioned before. Yeah the noodles are quite nice. Even at 39 baht not so cheap but like I said, I gotta have 'em. 

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The only place that I know of in Pattaya that has this ramen is Central Food Hall supermarket at the mall. Before they had it even in mini Tops. At Central Food Hall the only flavors I'm seeing are Tom Yum and Miso and considering they used to market more flavors than that, it's fair to assume those are the most popular. To the member that complained the Miso flavor didn't have enough Miso, well you can buy miso to add more miso. I often add more seasoning anyway as mentioned before. Yeah the noodles are quite nice. Even at 39 baht not so cheap but like I said, I gotta have 'em. 

I'm the member that complained about the Miso.  You live in Pattaya and maybe miso is readily available but where I live in Nakhon Sawan Province in the last house on a dirt road it isn't.  The only grocery store, other than the Ma and Pa shops, is 7-11 and they don't have it.  Although Tutsi said that it is available in Makro the last time that I was there, 100 kilometers away, I couldn't find it in the chilled section and when I asked they said "mai Nee". 

I like spicy food, although my stomach doesn't anymore, but I like spicy food that is cooked with a blend of spices that when finished has a savory spicy melding of the spices, like a long cooking Massaman Curry, unlike going to the noodle shop and dumping sugar, nam prick, vinegar, and a heaping spoonful of crushed chillis into an bland broth.  That's what the Tom Yong and Miso remind me of.  I will continue to buy the product because of the noodles.  The last time that I was in Tesco they only had the Miso, Tom Yong and Tempura.  The other flavors have disappeared.  I don't know if it's because these are more popular or the other ones were bought out faster as the shelf was almost bare which is  typical of them discontinuing a product,

6 hours ago, wayned said:

I'm the member that complained about the Miso.  You live in Pattaya and maybe miso is readily available but where I live in Nakhon Sawan Province in the last house on a dirt road it isn't.  The only grocery store, other than the Ma and Pa shops, is 7-11 and they don't have it.  Although Tutsi said that it is available in Makro the last time that I was there, 100 kilometers away, I couldn't find it in the chilled section and when I asked they said "mai Nee". 

I like spicy food, although my stomach doesn't anymore, but I like spicy food that is cooked with a blend of spices that when finished has a savory spicy melding of the spices, like a long cooking Massaman Curry, unlike going to the noodle shop and dumping sugar, nam prick, vinegar, and a heaping spoonful of crushed chillis into an bland broth.  That's what the Tom Yong and Miso remind me of.  I will continue to buy the product because of the noodles.  The last time that I was in Tesco they only had the Miso, Tom Yong and Tempura.  The other flavors have disappeared.  I don't know if it's because these are more popular or the other ones were bought out faster as the shelf was almost bare which is  typical of them discontinuing a product,

yeah, I live in Suphanburi which is next to Nakhon Pathom and near the BKK metro area so the availability of miso is gonna be better than where you live...the step daughter who is young and hip to a lot of things looked and said 'aahaan jipun' and I said yeah, try some but she crinkled her nose...she's hip but still resistant to anything non thai...

I'll be looking for the noodles at the next opportunity as I fancy having an alternative for brekkie which is the usual ramen doctored up in different ways...gettin' ready to make some greens in garlic and oyster sauce to accompany the leftover meat loaf tonight and have available for the noodles tmw morning...

for diabetics this sort of preparation and forethought helps to keep the fasting BG low so then maybe you can have a snickers or an ice cream now and then...

pig out...

btw I always associate tempura with the light batter that's used to deep fry meat and veg and not with noodle dishes, it don't really have no flavor of it's own...strange that they would have this to be a noodle flavoring...

4 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

btw I always associate tempura with the light batter that's used to deep fry meat and veg and not with noodle dishes, it don't really have no flavor of it's own...strange that they would have this to be a noodle flavoring...

Me too!  I didn't know what to expect when I opened it and the flavor surely didn't in any way remind me of tempura!

Nothing to do about Lucky Me but a while ago I was in Tesco looking for something different in the noodle section, possibly dried Japanese Udon or soba noodles.  I didn't find either, but on the bottom shelf I found Vietnamese thick noodles.  They are not instant and take about 20 minutes to cook, but if cooked with a good chicken stock they are great.   They are about 1/2 meter long and the only way to eat them is to pick up the  bowl and put a couple in your mouth and slurp away.  Kinda reminds me of living in Japan where after a night of drinking to much sake and beer you stopped at the local soba shop. I think that the challenge was to try to not fall off the stool and make the most noise as you slurped away.

13 hours ago, wayned said:

Nothing to do about Lucky Me but a while ago I was in Tesco looking for something different in the noodle section, possibly dried Japanese Udon or soba noodles.  I didn't find either, but on the bottom shelf I found Vietnamese thick noodles.  They are not instant and take about 20 minutes to cook, but if cooked with a good chicken stock they are great.   They are about 1/2 meter long and the only way to eat them is to pick up the  bowl and put a couple in your mouth and slurp away. 

packaged vietnamese pho perhaps? sounds interesting, all I've been able to find locally is instant ramen in a million different flavorings...gonna havta look more closely next time I go up to the big tescos at the changwat...

if I do a noodle stir fry using the 1m long dried yellow noodles I usually cut them up with scissors after cooking separately before stir frying with the other ingredients and the sauce to make them more managable in the wok, otherwise they're impossible to work with...

I am reckless in the name of common culinary necessity...but what is asian tradition if not for westerners to brutally trample in their clumsy attempts to adapt?

• 7 months later...

Well things have progressed and apparently Lucky Me's marketing ploy turned out to have not worked all that well.

The only flavor I can find now (and not always) is the Tom Yum, which I really don't like that.

Haven't seen the Miso flavor in over a month and when I did they were near expiring indicating it was the end of the road.

Pattaya stores I've seen these noodles at:

Foodland, Big C, Central Festival

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well things have progressed and apparently Lucky Me's marketing ploy turned out to have not worked all that well.

The only flavor I can find now (and not always) is the Tom Yum, which I really don't like that.

Haven't seen the Miso flavor in over a month and when I did they were near expiring indicating it was the end of the road.

Pattaya stores I've seen these noodles at:

Foodland, Big C, Central Festival

Yeah, I went to Tesco a couple of days ago and there were only three nags left, asll Tom Yum and I bought them.  I don't like any of the flavours so I make my own.  I always have chicken broth so I put a little chicken broth in a pot, some soy, a couple of packets of chillis in fish sauce and the condiment package.  I bring that to a rapid boil and drop in an egg stirring it around ( egg drop soup)  I then drop in the noodles stirring until it comes to a boil.  Tastes great and you can add other condiments such as shrimp, bacon, etc.  I do the same with the udon noodles that are sometimes available in the refrigerated section, but the Lucky Me noodles are better.

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I even looked for their noodles on Lazada but they didn't have them. I would order a case of them if there was a way to order.

I once found them on either Shopee or Lazada in a lot of different flavours like adobo and then realized that I was on the Philippines website.

from this thread I got to lookin' at the loose noodles in the refrigerated section at tescos and started to experiment a bit, started with green leafy veges in garlic then added the loose noodles with an oyster sauce mixture and tossed a bit...not half bad...tonight thought of simmering a chicken breast in with garlic with a 'lobo' green curry packet with eggplant then adding the loose  noodles, worth a try...

'hey tutsi! let's go surfin'!'...'you guys go on ahead, I gotsta look after me noodles...'

Archived