BANGKOK 26 April 2019 15:03
Jingthing

Lucky Me Brand Instant Miso Udon Noodles

4 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

btw I always associate tempura with the light batter that's used to deep fry meat and veg and not with noodle dishes, it don't really have no flavor of it's own...strange that they would have this to be a noodle flavoring...

Me too!  I didn't know what to expect when I opened it and the flavor surely didn't in any way remind me of tempura!

I never tried the tempura flavor but there was this other flavor something like nasty dirty river noodles that was seriously nasty. That one totally disappeared.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

and the discarded noodles floated away down river like wild horses over the hills...bukowski noodle flavoring...

Nothing to do about Lucky Me but a while ago I was in Tesco looking for something different in the noodle section, possibly dried Japanese Udon or soba noodles.  I didn't find either, but on the bottom shelf I found Vietnamese thick noodles.  They are not instant and take about 20 minutes to cook, but if cooked with a good chicken stock they are great.   They are about 1/2 meter long and the only way to eat them is to pick up the  bowl and put a couple in your mouth and slurp away.  Kinda reminds me of living in Japan where after a night of drinking to much sake and beer you stopped at the local soba shop. I think that the challenge was to try to not fall off the stool and make the most noise as you slurped away.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wayned said:

Nothing to do about Lucky Me but a while ago I was in Tesco looking for something different in the noodle section, possibly dried Japanese Udon or soba noodles.  I didn't find either, but on the bottom shelf I found Vietnamese thick noodles.  They are not instant and take about 20 minutes to cook, but if cooked with a good chicken stock they are great.   They are about 1/2 meter long and the only way to eat them is to pick up the  bowl and put a couple in your mouth and slurp away. 

packaged vietnamese pho perhaps? sounds interesting, all I've been able to find locally is instant ramen in a million different flavorings...gonna havta look more closely next time I go up to the big tescos at the changwat...

if I do a noodle stir fry using the 1m long dried yellow noodles I usually cut them up with scissors after cooking separately before stir frying with the other ingredients and the sauce to make them more managable in the wok, otherwise they're impossible to work with...

I am reckless in the name of common culinary necessity...but what is asian tradition if not for westerners to brutally trample in their clumsy attempts to adapt?