British Embassy contact Police to release the body of the 17 year old who died in a motorbike incident last week

webfact

British Embassy contact Police to release the body of the 17 year old who died in a motorbike incident last week

By  Kritsada Mueanhawong

NINTCHDBPICT000464715036.jpg

A representative of the British Embassy has contacted Kamala Police to retrieve the body of the teenager who died in a motorbike incident in Kamala last week. The family are trying to raise funds to repatriate the body of Anthony Ryan.

The 17 year old teenager from Yorkshire in the UK died after being involved in a head-on motorbike accident while holidaying in Thailand.

The young driver died as a result of injuries he sustained when his motorbike collided, head on, with a mini van last week. The incident happened out the front of the Nakalay Resort. It had been raining during the evening and the road conditions were slippery.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/british-embassy-contact-police-to-release-the-body-of-the-17-year-old-who-died-in-a-motorbike-incident-last-week

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-01-29

4 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Since the BE is going for the body now I guess the 3800 gbp is sufficient to get him home? Couldn't have the embassy just brought him home with a signed promise from the family? Or does this usually end badly for the embassy if they do this?

They never do so - and yes, it likely would. 

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

They never do so - and yes, it likely would. 

Just wondered because the target funds weren't met (or maybe they included funeral costs also). If my embassy put up the funds for one of my loved ones repatriation, I'd make damn sure they were repaid, if not for anything at least to honor the deceased. 

42 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Since the BE is going for the body now I guess the 3800 gbp is sufficient to get him home? Couldn't have the embassy just brought him home with a signed promise from the family? Or does this usually end badly for the embassy if they do this?

Never been British Embassy policy to pay one pound towards live or deceased repatriation. They are a a joke. I am a Brit and expect no help at all from the Foreign Office. 

6 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Never been British Embassy policy to pay one pound towards live or deceased repatriation. They are a a joke. I am a Brit and expect no help at all from the Foreign Office. 

Seems certain groups get plenty of financial assistance from HM treasure chest.

There original residence end in ria, raq, ran..

21 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

FCA is not an NGO or a registered charity.

On 1/29/2019 at 2:10 PM, LivinginKata said:

The idea that the British Embassy may be there to 'help people out of a financial bind' is simply wrong.... people who think otherwise have no understanding of the mission. 

Embassies are there for trade and security purposes, they also provide advise and consular services. 

The only help you can expect to get from your Embassy is advise - why would you expect something else?... the British Embassy has never pretended to be something its not... this sense of entitlement from many British Passport's holder is the joke... 

On 1/29/2019 at 4:34 PM, Seismic said:

Surely it would be cheaper to cremate him here and then pop him in someones carry-on ??

In reality, this would be the most logical solution, however, under such tragic circumstances emotion often supersedes logic... 

A family member or friends could oversee a local cremation and a service with the ashes could be held back in the UK - this would solve the 'repatriation of the body' issue in many such cases. 

On 1/31/2019 at 10:46 AM, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed, but his family may be against cremation on religious or personal grounds.

And expect outsiders to fund the shipping because of personal belief or emotion? I never understand why a deceased has to be flown around the world.

On 1/30/2019 at 11:19 AM, Srikcir said:

What's a joke is that travel insurance can include repatriation.

Unfortunately, too many people these days subscribe to the "who needs travel insurance when there's GoFundMe" school of thought.

Archived