Chicken and Duck Killing Dog - How to stop it.

First this is a request for Help, and is not really in Thailand but in Vietnam.  I live in both Vietnam and Thailand.  Here's the scenario:

• My lady has five dogs, and over a hundred chickens and maybe 30 ducks.
  • One dog, a  male which I liked very much, took to killing chickens and ducks and carrying them around in his mouth.  Not eating them, just killing them.  He made the mistake of killing a neighbors prized fighting rooster, worth about $500.00, (10 million dong) even pulling it out of its cage, needless to say the dog was dispatched with extreme prejudice.  I think I can smell him cooking now, enough said.  
  • So, what I was thinking, what could we have done early in his life to stop this from ever starting.  How do you stop a dog from killing free range birds  - Or can you?????.

FYI  I raised 26 Siberian Huskies - sled dogs - on my land in the US, and had free range chickens there as well, none of them ever killed a single bird to my knowledge.

Constructive informative replies only please - the Animal Rights Nazi's can stay home.

Use electric collarbond if it have already got the taste of it, but from small puppy, you interact the dog with the different house animals, and they learn to be part of the group, and also protecting them. 

For some dogs it is to late what ever you try, and they need to be locked in a cage, and only walked in leash

Start at an early age. Leash the dog around the chickens and focus on praising good behaviour. So praise the dog when it is calm, relaxed or is showing no interest at all in the chickens. Like children, praising good behaviour is much more effective than punishing bad behaviour - especially in the context of dogs killing chickens as the punishment nearly always comes too late. 

Depending on breed/size of dog the dog will not be able to be trusted to be alone with chickens until it has matured (lose the urge to bother anymore) - so possibly 2 years old or above. Therefore needs to be separated and continually trained with a leash until it can be fully trusted. 

Naturally, some breeds will be easier than others. Some breeds you can get as pups and as long as they have grown up with some chickens they will not kill them, but protect them. These types of dogs are also used in huge free range farms (with a bit of training as mentioned above). Those same breeds that do not grow up with chickens will kill them like many other breeds. 

Hard work, but by no means impossible. We had a rescue dog that got sent to us back home from a farm because it was killing chickens. Still living with my old man and also chickens, ducks and cats.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds extremely irresponsible of you that you let a dog roam to the extent that it could kill a neighbor's animal. You sound even more irresponsible with the lack of remorse judging by the tone of your post. If you cannot manage an animal properly, don't keep it!

Rational human beings understand the need for a fence, where this is not possible, get a large kennel for the dog 6ftx6ft at least. Take the dog on daily walks and leash it in an empty open park while it has fun(get a toy for it as an alternative to live prey). This is common sense, but seeing that common sense is not all that common I guess this has to be spelled out. I feel sorry for the poor dog.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:14 AM, Ahab said:

Tie a dead chicken or duck around the dogs neck, leave it there until it rots off. Problem solved 100% effective.

Old wives tale. The dog is chasing animals as a result of prey drive. Keep your dog tethered or kenneled when you cannot supervise it. This is common sense that a 12-year-old should have.

4 minutes ago, Tobi02k9 said:

Old wives tale. The dog is chasing animals as a result of prey drive. Keep your dog tethered or kenneled when you cannot supervise it. This is common sense that a 12-year-old should have.

Sorry mate but you are wrong, we have a dog, so far 1 dead turkey, 1 dead chicken.

I put the chicken around the dogs neck, left it there, for 5 days refixing it every time the dog got it lose.

That was about 5 months ago, dog does not touch them now.

Lol, literally the first Google search is a story of a dog that had the chicken taken off his neck and immediately went to kill another chicken. Dogs all have different personalities and we must remember they are scavengers as well as predators. It is beyond silly to think this method would work on every individual animal of a scavenger species. Many would love the chicken being around their necks.

Dogs will happily leave rotting dead chickens in their cages and then eat them 5 days later when hungry/bored, will not only eat rotten flesh but play with it. The chicken on the neck may work on a tiny minority of dogs with specific personalities. It is for lazy people who lack the ability to change/develop as it challenges their traditional ways that haven't worked (bit like Thailand). Guardian dogs will even eat rotten still borns in the field to destroy the scent to predators such as wolves do not get a sniff. 

Other suggestions mentioned are not only proven methods for the vast majority of dogs, but are methods suggested by all respectable dog training bodies. They are also methods used on dogs to actually guard birds (chickens, penguins etc) from foxes and the like. If the chicken around the neck method worked then chicken farms would use that method and save 2 years of training. The fact is they don't, they spend 2 years training dogs to make sure they get the least chicken deaths possible and full trust with the dog. 

Some may find it interesting. Maremmas have historically been used to protect sheep in Italy. In modern times they are used to protect not only sheep but also chickens (see in video), penguins and now being used in an attempt to return a species that is extinct in the wild (Bandicoot). If we can train dogs to distinguish between native animals and pests/predators, then it shouldn't be impossible to train a dog not to kill chickens. Like I said earlier (as the video shows), these sorts of things take 2 years. Mostly for the dog to mature enough to be completely trustworthy. Of course, Maremmas fit into that group where they are the SAS of the dog world (thrown out and left to defend themselves and thousands of animals over large areas of land in harsh weather against serious predators), however, the point is specific training techniques are necessary for all breeds to get the best result. Whether that is to make the dog sit or jump out of an air plane. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 6:38 AM, Oxx said:

Disappointed.  When I read the title I thought it was going to be about a chicken and duck ganging up to attack a dog.

Not a dog, but a fox.  From today's news:  "Chickens 'teamed up to kill fox' at Brittany farming school".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/12/chickens-teamed-up-to-kill-fox-at-brittany-farming-school

Archived