Authorities urge curbs on burning incense sticks, golden paper offerings for Year of the Pig

webfact

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/30/2019 at 8:35 AM, overherebc said:

Around my way they are definately becoming a bit more conscious of the polution.

On the way to the shop early this morning I noticed almost everyone who was burning rubbish, leaves etc was wearing a mask.

...........and again later in the dark perhaps?

Yeah, that'll solve the problem alright! 

But please, do continue to drive your cars and motorbikes everywhere - even short distances down the road to the local 7/11; continue burning your rubbish, etc. - none of these things contribute to the worsening air quality.  

Complete and utter simpletons. 

22 hours ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

Are we allowed to mobilize people to make change here or only complain? I've been working on air pollution issues in Thailand since 2013. From what I have found is that most air pollution comes from people burning their trash in their back yard. The burning is a toxic soup of chemicals that could go toe-to-toe, so to speak, with nuclear waste because plastics are made from toxic chemicals and oil. You ever hear about BPA? Yeah, that's in your plastic straw. So guess what happens when organic waste (food and leaves) is burned with plastics made with Chlorine/Bleach, oil and other unmentionable ingredients? You were absolutely correct about the incense. Recent academic studies have linked them to causing cancer. But I wanted to briefly touch on smoke. You know how you can smell cigarette smoke from one person a hundred meters away? Well, imagine a pile of trash. If a couple of people do that, you have and entire neighborhood in a smog of carinogenic smoke. It kinda makes it silly to have "No Smoking" signs around town when something far worse is done despite it being against Thai law.

Many many things result in PM2.5, but the good news is that air pollution is the most preventable pandemic of the 21st century according to popular sources.

The solution?

(1) Establish and cultivate advanced composting facilities. 60% of Thailand's waste is organic.

(2) Ban plastic straws, plastic utensils and plastic bags. Several Thai companies are making these from natural products. In the USA, we are switching to paper straws because American's are responsible for polluting the earth with over 500 million plastic straws a year!

(3) Make a city-by-city waste management plan. I'm qualified to do this. It must be made in cooperation with village and community leaders.

(4) Educate all Thai teachers to teach about pollution and why we shoudn't burn trash or use single use plastics every month.

(5) Implement Rama 9's sustainable economy plan into Thailand 4.0.

(6) Buses should be required to have smog filters installed and to stay on fixed routes in all cities, towns and villages.

What do you think?

I thoroughly agree with all your points, however, I've come to the conclusion that the locals simply don't want to or can't change. Most of them seem to be aware of the problems around them, but simply lack the motivation/incentive to do something about it. It's as if they have a predisposition to just let things go. The whole "mai been rai" mentality is so ingrained in them that it'll take at least a generation or two to change it.

All the points you made will only succeed and contribute to solving the issues IF the vast majority of the population abides by the rules, laws and regulations. In order for that to happen, they need a completely different mentality - self-disciplined, law abiding, ethical, thoughtful, responsible, caring aren't adjectives I'd use to describe the Thais.

They simply aren't ready for the 21st century and the challenges it brings with it. 

7 hours ago, poohy said:

Driving m/c yesterday pick up turned onto road in front of me and accelerated away leaving a wall of black smoke behind ....

I had to stop, could not see let alone breath, a car following me slowed to crawl as presumably his aircon sucked it in plus he would not have able to see either

This is a normal everyday occurrence. TAT! Normally accompanied by a loud exhaust system similar in sound to that of a garbage truck. 

23 hours ago, ocddave said:

From what I can tell, here in Muang Thong Thani the levels are low, but I can definitely feel the difference. My eyes feel drowsy and my energy level is low, just an overall "this feels bad" feeling, and just came in from walking the dog, the air outside is thick! Man do i miss the clean air of my small hometown in Western Massachusetts, where you look up at night and see the Milky Way with your naked eyes, this country boy truly hates big city life.

Get out of the greater Bangkok area and come up my way where you can lie on your back outside at night, gulping pure fresh air, see the Milky Way and a billion other stars, thinking about W.M. and all the while enjoying the attention of a few hungry mosquitoes.:thumbsup:

Archived