LIXIANA (60 mg) - EDOXABAN

glegolo

Hi,

I have a question regarding my bloodthinner.... I have been on now more than 1 year this new generation bloodthinning medicin in the group of "Edoxaban". And in my case the medicin-brand is being "Lixiana". I do NOT have any problem whatsoever with this medicin, more than the price-level.

So In my case I can buy from Bangkok Hospital who are charging me 175 baht per tablett, but I have managed to get a clinic to sell it to me for 125 baht a tablett.... 1 tablett a day makes it about 3,500 baht a month. And I find it very interesting to try to find out if there are any other solutions to WHERE to buy this medicin here in Thailand. Maybe get a better price than these 125 baht a tablett....????

Any input from you readers would be great... Maybe Sheryl as usual have good news or at least news...????

Thanks in advance.

glegolo

This is a very new drug that is still under patent. The only brand of it is Lixiana which is imported from abroad, so it is very expensive.

I doubt you can get it for much less anywhere, if affording it is difficult you should discuss with your doctor changing to an older, less expensive drug like warfarin. Warfarin is veyr cheap but does require frequent blood test monitoring.

Clopidogrel  might be another option, more expensive than warfarin but less than Lixiana.

I buy it at one of the pharmacies on Rama IV opposite Chula Hospital. Prices here are always the cheapest I can find anywhere. And yes a box of 28 costs 3500 baht so cannot expect to find it cheaper.

Now that someone has raised the issue of Edoxaban, there are very strong warnings about the risk of internal bleeding if you take NSAID anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofren etc together with Edoxaban. However I find that a small dose of Ibuprofen such as half or one tablet (400mg)  a day does help control my irregular heart beat episodes as well as general stiffness after running or walking too much. Considering that a normal dose of Ibuprofen can be up to 8 tablets a day I am trying to weigh up the risks of taking one tablet Ibu a day in conjunction with a half tablet of Lixiana.

Any comments would be welcome.

1 hour ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I buy it at one of the pharmacies on Rama IV opposite Chula Hospital. Prices here are always the cheapest I can find anywhere. And yes a box of 28 costs 3500 baht so cannot expect to find it cheaper.

Now that someone has raised the issue of Edoxaban, there are very strong warnings about the risk of internal bleeding if you take NSAID anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofren etc together with Edoxaban. However I find that a small dose of Ibuprofen such as half or one tablet (400mg)  a day does help control my irregular heart beat episodes as well as general stiffness after running or walking too much. Considering that a normal dose of Ibuprofen can be up to 8 tablets a day I am trying to weigh up the risks of taking one tablet Ibu a day in conjunction with a half tablet of Lixiana.

Any comments would be welcome.

Thank you for both your reply and your input. So maybe it is of no use to try to find any cheaper.....

glegolo

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

This is a very new drug that is still under patent. The only brand of it is Lixiana which is imported from abroad, so it is very expensive.

I doubt you can get it for much less anywhere, if affording it is difficult you should discuss with your doctor changing to an older, less expensive drug like warfarin. Warfarin is veyr cheap but does require frequent blood test monitoring.

Clopidogrel  might be another option, more expensive than warfarin but less than Lixiana.

Actually I went FROM Wharfarin because that was a louse drug, with a lot of sideeffects, into Lixiana who is really good for me so far.... No sideeffects at all, maybe I am just lucky.. But in my country (Sweden), Wharfarin is not given since a couple of years because we have adopted the new bloddthinners coming i.e. Lixiana and Xialto and in first hand Eliquis.....

Thank you for your as usual insightful and knowledgeable knowledge,,,

glegolo

• 9 months later...
1 minute ago, rocrite said:

Can anyone tell me a specific clinic or pharmacy around 3500 baht as mentioned. I am stuck paying hospital prices in Hua Hin but will be In Bangkok tomorrow to see a vein dr.

I can PM you details about my clinic situated in Khorat with  prices 125 baht a tablet instead of Bangkok Hospitals 175 baht per tablett.... I am buying there since  couple of years now and all is done via postmail, with no problem at all...

glegolo

His clinic is in Korat not Bangkok! 

This drug does not require a orescription

If you are by any chance headed to Siriraj Hosputal there are several large pharmacies opposite the hosputal ibclydibg a Fascino. Try there.

Call Por Bor Pesat 02-314 1394 (better if you speak Thai) and ask their price. It is rare to find a cheaper price than theirs. For a drug like Lixiana (under patent) the difference will be minimal, though.

Location: southeast corner of Khlongtan intersection,  airport link Ramkhamhaeng

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

His clinic is in Korat not Bangkok! 

This drug does not require a orescription

If you are by any chance headed to Siriraj Hosputal there are several large pharmacies opposite the hosputal ibclydibg a Fascino. Try there.

There is also a day after "tomorrow" Sheryl, and I have a good relation with this clinic (Dr Weerapan) since 2 years now. So this guy is living as I understood it in Hua Hin, he do not need to "see" a doctor, but merely just buy the medicin Lixiana.

I live personally live in Chaiyaphum not Khorat (250 km both ways), but it works out nicely... So for the coming times, it is wonderful suggestion from my side, so plse do not discard it like that...

glegolo

I was not discarding it per se just explaing that for this specific person who asked for asked for where to buy itin Bangkok (and who might not live here long or be familiar with the geography) that Korat is far from Bangkok.

Obviously your clinic is fine for anyone living near or visiting Korat. But I don't think it is a practical option for

someone living in Hua Hin with a trip planned to Bangkok.

30 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I was not discarding it per se just explaing that for this specific person who asked for asked for where to buy itin Bangkok (and who might not live here long or be familiar with the geography) that Korat is far from Bangkok.

Obviously your clinic is fine for anyone living near or visiting Korat. But I don't think it is a practical option for

someone living in Hua Hin with a trip planned to Bangkok.

Sheryl, I do respect your opinion, but in my case you do NOT need to visit the clinic nor the doctor in question. You do this via mail and phone with the personal on the clinic who is sending the medicin via postage. So have a contact with a good clinic and a really good doctor is a very good strategy.

Just for a "one thing" though, I think you have a good option.

glegolo

21 hours ago, rocrite said:

Can anyone tell me a specific clinic or pharmacy around 3500 baht as mentioned. I am stuck paying hospital prices in Hua Hin but will be In Bangkok tomorrow to see a vein dr.

The shop I buy Lixiana 3500 baht 60mg is on Rama 4 between Silom and Surawong road opposite the Chulalongkorn hospital complex. There are 3 or 4 drug stores along this stretch. I go to the one nearest the stairs to the overhead pedestrian bridge close to the Surawong Road end (not the Silom Road bridge)

Archived