DVT report and questions

DrJack54

Hello, I did search DVT prior to starting topic, with nothing much recent so thought I would share my experience. Phyathai hospital Monday. Right leg with typical indications of superficial or DVT. So the result was extensive DVT from mid calf to almost groin. Medication the standard 2@15mg xarelto for next 21days then 20mg/day. BTW that medication is 5000baht for the first 21 days. I'm just sharing my experience but do have couple of questions. For those that have had this condition, I'm sure they will endorse, it ain't pleasant. 

Since I had a PE exactly 3 yrs ago and superficial vien thrombosis, I anticipate I will be on anticoagulant for LONG time especially as I fly weekly. Even if it was only year that still is expensive option using rivaroxaaban. Are then any members that can recommend where to buy a home finger prick test kit and strips to check INR. (change to warfarin). Finally can anyone share their recovery experience. Currently I'm barely able to stand walk few steps.

Thankyou in advance.  

i had a dvt in 2005. they inserted a vena cava minor filter(greenfield filter).

i have been on warfarin ever since. i test weekly. have my own machine, coaguchek. i bought mine on eBay years ago. very simple to use.  beware there are alere machines for sale, they have all been recalled and there are no test strips available. just mention this as they are for sale at much lower prices,but are useless.

3 hours ago, rodknock said:

i had a dvt in 2005. they inserted a vena cava minor filter(greenfield filter).

i have been on warfarin ever since. i test weekly. have my own machine, coaguchek. i bought mine on eBay years ago. very simple to use.  beware there are alere machines for sale, they have all been recalled and there are no test strips available. just mention this as they are for sale at much lower prices,but are useless.

Thanks Rod. Was aware about alere (by Thai visa) about those issues. I go back hospital when this 21 day course of xarelto is done and no doubt will be given 20mg from then on. Intend to go with that for month (yes 500aud)

Then move to warfarin maybe for good. Hence my need for self test etc. as I fly every week. Was there a particular reason they felt you required a filter.

they did not tell me a reason, just did it. it is supposed to help prevent clots going to lungs.

if you are flying,MAKE SURE YOU WEAR COMPRESSION STOCKINGS! very important!!

going with warfarin is much cheaper. i pay 520baht for a bottle(100)

of 5mg. i vary between 5mg-7.5mg

for me i test on sat. morning and keep a record of results.

you will find finger stick will get easier over time.

if you are in the Bangkok area and need any help, just message me.

the rouche coaguchek is an awesome simple machine to use.

when i first got the machine i went to a hospital to have blood test done to compare results, couple of tenths difference.

Archived