Registering a Middle Name for my Newborn

mal129

Hi all my wife just gave birth to a healthy baby boy. I will be going to the ampur in the next couple days to register the birth.

My son will have a western first name, Thai middle name, and my last name. I have searched and found some dated info, and it seems there were some challenges.

Does anyone have some current information to make the middle name registration easier? Any recent experiences to share?

Your help is much appreciated. 

The translation on the birth certificate of my son is " Master Ben". I had a really tough time trying to convince Dutch authorities that "no, my son's Iirst name is NOT Master!". Just a warning. Ior the rest it should not be a problem, my son's Thai passport shows his Iirst, middle and surname.

I would also like to know the current ruling on this.

My wife is currently in Chulalongkorn hospital in Bangkok and we are expecting the birth of our first son soon.

The hospital staff have categorically said that they will not produce a birth certificate with three names.

They do say it is possible outside at the ampur office, but they also said this should be the office in the district where he will live (we live in Koh Samui).

I think this is not correct. I have heard that any ampur office can be used .... or should it be a tessaban?

So, anyone who's wife have birth in bangkok and managed to get a birth certificate with three names, please let me know from which office.

Thanks.

Edit: can anyone point me in the direction of the actual law on this subject. Thai or English, so I can read it.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:13 PM, HTC said:

So, anyone who's wife have birth in bangkok and managed to get a birth certificate with three names, please let me know from which office.

I have, from Khet Wattana (via Samitivej Hospital) about 1 year ago. Absolutely no problem at all.

Shortly afterwards, my daughter was registered in a house book in the same district. Again, no problem.

I think the point to remember here is that hospitals do not issue birth certificates. Birth certificates are issued by the District Office upon presentation of the correct paperwork from the hospital.

Some (private) hospitals will present the documents for you as a convenience.

You always have the option of presenting the documents yourself.

I think the point to remember here is that hospitals do not issue birth certificates. Birth certificates are issued by the District Office upon presentation of the correct paperwork from the hospital.

Indeed and this is what I plan to do. My wife will be calling around the local offices close to where we are at the moment to ask about the process and whether they provide three name certificates and then I will go myself as my wife will need to remain in the hospital for a while after the birth.

40 minutes ago, HTC said:
On 2/15/2019 at 11:19 AM, blackcab said:

Indeed and this is what I plan to do. My wife will be calling around the local offices close to where we are at the moment to ask about the process and whether they provide three name certificates and then I will go myself as my wife will need to remain in the hospital for a while after the birth.

You just walk along to the local Amphur office with the paper the hospital give you, your passport, her ID card and house book, and a piece of paper with the kids name (as you want it written) on it.

Couldn't be easier.

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You just walk along to the local Amphur office with the paper the hospital give you, your passport, her ID card and house book, and a piece of paper with the kids name (as you want it written) on it.

Couldn't be easier.

And then check, check, and check again. They managed to get it wrong 3 times at the Amphur, in spite ov a piece ov paper with the correct spelling AND a copy ov my passport with the same spelling. Virst they levt no spaces between his middle name and double surnames, then they did not write the virst letters o the middle name and the surnames with a capitol letter, then they gave the capitol letter ONLY to the middle name.

In the end it turned out that the computerprogram in the Amphur did not allow vor more than one Capitol in the surname...

Since I've been in Isaan, I've come across two errors with names. First was a German guy whose son was called Tritz (Fritz). And the other was with a friend of mine who was marked down as Yom (Tom).

I had my own issues when registering my daughter's birth; though not with her name.

10 minutes ago, Bullie said:

And then check, check, and check again.

I'm with Bullie on this 100%.

We recently registered birth cert at Chulalongkorn hospital with three names. We wanted English firstname and surname, Thai middle name. Government desk on 22nd floor said no middle names but were fine putting firstname, space, middle name in the first name box. Name reads correctly and ampher were fine with this when putting child in blue tabien barn book.

Sent from my E5803 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Bullie said:

And then check, check, and check again. They managed to get it wrong 3 times at the Amphur, in spite ov a piece ov paper with the correct spelling AND a copy ov my passport with the same spelling. Virst they levt no spaces between his middle name and double surnames, then they did not write the virst letters o the middle name and the surnames with a capitol letter, then they gave the capitol letter ONLY to the middle name.

In the end it turned out that the computerprogram in the Amphur did not allow vor more than one Capitol in the surname...

Thai birth certificates use Thai script, don't know why you're banging on about capitals, there aren't any.

They can't copy your passport either, you need to take along your name in Thai script also, as approved by the MFA (it's written on your marriage certificate).

Seems you're trying to force them into a mould they don't have, no wonder you're having problems.

So I have been calling around the tessabans and we have to get the certificate from Pathum Wan as this is where our child will be born.

The man on the phone said we have to go to the office to talk about getting a middle name cert first (can't go at the moment as my wife is on strict bed rest in hospital).

Has anyone been able to obtain the three name birth cert specifically from Pathum Wan office?

• 1 month later...

Just to update everyone on how my OP went.  It was quite easy. In my case, I had to go to the tessabaan which was in a different location than the ampur. I was there first thing in the morning and was 001 in the queue, and was in and out in 15 mins. There was no issue in registering a middle name. I presented my documents and provided the Thai script of my son's name. There is no field on the birth certificate for a middle name. The name is simply added to the first name field. Thanks for all the advice folks!

Archived