British woman, 64, stranded in Thai hospital unless she can pay 450,000 THB for treatment

webfact

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This situation with crowd funding is getting ridiculous. It seems almost every day there is another one. Do people who come here check nothing about where they are going before they jump on a plane. Traveling anywhere overseas, especially Thailand, without good insurance is stupid and plain wrong.

Yes, its time to categorize the crowd funding to prevent misuse - this one should have been under "go fund stupid me" this to put it under shame were it belongs and as well automatically saved and linked to any future crowd funding concerning the same person to increase individual alertness ....:thumbsup: 

4 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Her son lives in Thailand - he's equally as stupid for not making sure his mum had insurance

So true; I don't get why before she travelled he didn't take it out on her behalf. Oh well, we're all wiser after the event. 

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Travel insurance is usually around 5 pounds (not 100).

Age and any pre-existing conditions have a factor. I did my 85-year-old Auntie a few years back on a trip to Dubai and South Africa.  She had some pre-existing conditions so they loaded the premium. 

We were honest and declared it. No issues at all. 

Nah, all this is, is the government here will shortly be grafting insurance out of all tourists..... She has family here, presumably family in Britain....... Thailand's just playing the game to introduce compulsory travel insurance, a bit like years ago when it was compulsory "Plastic" motorcycle helmets with a certain person being the sole supplier.....  just another way to graft money out of tourists, but be quick eh, because they'll be none left shortly.....

Wow, there are so many aspects to this situation. First off I agree that going anywhere without insurance is a bad choice, no matter how you look at it. On the other hand will there ever be anything like an international reimbursable fund for people who really need health care in other countries. I think the joke is try to collect the money back once it has been used, aside from putting a lien on some personal property like your home or car.

I would want a second opinion before I trusted any Thai doctor with a heart surgery recommendation. I don't know if Camillian is a government hospital or private but I would not trust private hospitals as far as I can spit (which isn't very far).

4 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Please understand , pre existing conditions are not covered even if she had no knowledge of the condition the insurance company will make a case of it

How would a pre-existing condition be pre-existing if you did not know you had it, or had never been tested for it.

Let's face it, most men have dormant prostate cancer so do we all have that pre-existing? Even though never checked.

2 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I would want a second opinion before I trusted any Thai doctor with a heart surgery recommendation. I don't know if Camillian is a government hospital or private but I would not trust private hospitals as far as I can spit (which isn't very far).

Camillian is a private, non-profit hospital on Thonglor. According to her gofund webpage, the lady has had 'an operation' and is doing well, and hopes to be out of hospital by the end of the week. If that is the case, it seems to me at least that the sums do not add up somewhere along the line, but then I'm no healthcare accountant.

2 hours ago, Johnnyy said:

InsureandGo. Destination may vary of course.

You probably had top cover, usually there are 3 levels available and no known pre-existing ailments.  Often there is an increase in premiums for each year over 65y/o if you can find a company who will cover you.  Most will not come near you if you are over 65y/o or they require a hefty penalty.  Most will not even talk to you if over 70 y/o.  If ever there was a reason to read the fine print in any contract of any sort you ever signed, Travel Insurance is at the top of the list.  Yes all 70 pages and more sometimes.

Each one idividually is worthy, en masse it's a bit much. The embassies really should be doing something here. This Pontius Pilate attitude just doesn't wash. As a British citizen I expect my embassy to take care of me. If I'm a bit stupid or foolish, then they should be putting measures in place to stop me being stupid or foolish. Ambassodorial roles aren't all about trade and politics, it's also about taking care of your citizens abroad.

5 minutes ago, nausea said:

Each one idividually is worthy, en masse it's a bit much. The embassies really should be doing something here. This Pontius Pilate attitude just doesn't wash. As a British citizen I expect my embassy to take care of me. If I'm a bit stupid or foolish, then they should be putting measures in place to stop me being stupid or foolish. Ambassodorial roles aren't all about trade and politics, it's also about taking care of your citizens abroad.

The British embassy is way to busy,  to deal with all it's citizens trivial problems whilst your abroad. and have no time for the traitors called Ex-pats

slapstick clowns.png

Archived