British woman, 64, stranded in Thai hospital unless she can pay 450,000 THB for treatment

webfact

Who goes 6,000 miles from home without travel insurance? Lost bags, flight delays and hotels expenses may be more common but in the UK the Post Office will sell you insurance or your Visa Card may cover you if you use it to buy the flight. Flying from Hong Kong to Bangkok on Friday and you bet I have travel insurance. 

So I agree with all the comments above about begging from strangers or lack of forethought.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May I ask, how much does it cost in UK to get a travel insurance for a short trip, let’s say 3 weeks?

In Sweden it’s included (30 days and some companies 45 days) in the home insurance that basically everyone has, whether you travel or not. And for pennies it can be extended to include things that you do by stupidity or being careless.

Cheers 

6 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

In British English the correct term is "couldn't care less".

"I couldn't care less" = I could not care less = I do not care.

Whereas "I could care less" = I do care somewhat (clearly I still do care because there is a level below this that I could still reach).

In American English I understand that increasingly the British version is used, but it is still more common to hear the grammatically incorrect "could care less" in speech.

Agreed... I have often thought that the 'American version of this term' does not make sense... 

Stating that you 'could care less' would imply that you do care... because, as you wrote, you could care less than you do already... As you wrote, the American version is grammatically flawed. 

These variations in colloquialism would make for an interesting thread. 

Back on Topic: 

It's a little irritating to see these 'crowd funding' campaigns for people who have failed in their basic planning - these issues detract from the real 'genuine campaigns' such as those campaigning for funding for specialized medical treatment not available in their home country etc (i.e. child neuroblastoma suffers in the UK where experimental treatment may be available in the USA).

Its been floated before, perhaps its time for immigration to insist on proof of Medical Insurance for all non-residents upon entry into Thailand... (OR a means of emergency funding such as 2 million baht in a Thai Bank account - or any country for that matter).

But, people are still too happy go lucky and completely ignore the potential consequences, 'it won't happen to me'.... 

I was recently irritated by the attitude of my Thai Brother in Law who went skiing without insurance, he said he didn't need it. I reminded him of the high medical costs in Japan should he fall and break and arm, leg or worse... he didn't seem to care - it irritated me because I would end up having to be the 'bad guy' when I say no to helping him pay for medical treatment if in the event he injures himself (using the excuse that all my savings are for my Sons future education).

If you travel you take out Insurance or stay away don't start Begging for money It's you're own bloody fault,,, You're problem,,, Because of you're lack of brains to take out insurance us farangs get a bad name. Wake up or stay away.  :thumbsup:

re own bloody fault

My Thai wife has medical insurance. last week she was feeling very unwell and asked me to take her to Ram in Lampang. She was admitted, stayed overnight and had a urine and a blood test. She had no treatment no oxygen, no IV but the bill was B10,000. Basically, there was nothing very wrong except exhibiting some flu symptoms. Three types of medication was prescribed. Insurance will pay B7500 but we had to pay "excess" of B2500. An outrage, I think

The previous week, I visited my local doctor (at my insistence) with some chest pains. I explained I had no other symptoms and the pain, though not severe, was there on and off for a week so I thought I should get a check up. I had a chest Xray and an electrocardiogram and nothing negative was found.

My bill was B800 and even my Doctor couldn't resist giving me some expensive painkillers that I didn't need and I haven't taken them. Painkillers B200 which I could have bought in 7 eleven for B20. Nevertheless, B600 for a consultation and diagnosis plus my tests compare very favourably with private hospital fees.

8 hours ago, mercman24 said:

its not that they want to stay in a private hospital, they are generally taken there by taxi drivers who are in cahoots with the hospital and get a kickback, most tourists do not know of this, my friend, got taken to Pattaya Bangkok Hospital, despite me telling him otherwise. (thats where you end up if you go by taxi), he was cajold by the staff to stay in a private room. it was *oh you dont want to stay in a general ward with the riff raff basically. ok room very nice a bed where a guest could stay fridge etc, but he did not need any of these things, his 3 days cost his insurance company a fortune. i think they see you have health insurance and the bill gets doubled, just scammers, like everything in this country, for instance the 180,000 for a triple bypass. was the realistic bill, i bet that would be near a million anywhere else. still the UK is no different, when they hear BUPA their eyes light up, my knee scan years ago was double the normal rate

Great post. Good that you have brought this scamming to everyone's attention.

The hospitals are just the same as other Thai establishments. They just want our money. No different to bar girls or taxi drivers. Half the time the guy in the white coat has bought his doctor certificate off the internet.

For any ex-pats I say get with the 'pink ID card'.

8 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Nor shall I, I spent my spare cash on Health Insurance.

so did I.
what you guys reckon, a crowd funding of the Annual Insurance premium bill, will that be a success or not ?

28 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

My Thai wife has medical insurance. last week she was feeling very unwell and asked me to take her to Ram in Lampang. She was admitted, stayed overnight and had a urine and a blood test. She had no treatment no oxygen, no IV but the bill was B10,000. Basically, there was nothing very wrong except exhibiting some flu symptoms. Three types of medication was prescribed. Insurance will pay B7500 but we had to pay "excess" of B2500. An outrage, I think

The previous week, I visited my local doctor (at my insistence) with some chest pains. I explained I had no other symptoms and the pain, though not severe, was there on and off for a week so I thought I should get a check up. I had a chest Xray and an electrocardiogram and nothing negative was found.

My bill was B800 and even my Doctor couldn't resist giving me some expensive painkillers that I didn't need and I haven't taken them. Painkillers B200 which I could have bought in 7 eleven for B20. Nevertheless, B600 for a consultation and diagnosis plus my tests compare very favourably with private hospital fees.

Local doctor had an X Ray machine?

from a poster...I was recently irritated by the attitude of my Thai Brother in Law who went skiing without insurance, he said he didn't need it. I reminded him of the high medical costs in Japan should he fall and break and arm, leg or worse... he didn't seem to care - it irritated me because I would end up having to be the 'bad guy' when I say no to helping him pay for medical treatment if in the event he injures himself (using the excuse that all my savings are for my Sons future education).

In most cases with travel insurance if you go snow skiing you may find in the fine print that you are not covered.  The policies usually insist you have to prudent and not engage in risky activity.  Snow or water skiing is usually one of these.  You only have to look at the bottom of popular snow ski resorts anywhere to see the 6 or so ambulances waiting to pick up the broken bodies each day, they are often flat-out.  If your travel agent goes broke bad luck, if the airline dosn' perform bad luck, not covered often for earthquakes, volcanos going off, tidal waves etc etc....better read the fine print?

Only a few years ago when Mt Agung went off in Bali Thousands of Australian and people from other countries other were abandoned as the eruption was a natural event.  Not covered.

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This situation with crowd funding is getting ridiculous. It seems almost every day there is another one. Do people who come here check nothing about where they are going before they jump on a plane. Traveling anywhere overseas, especially Thailand, without good insurance is stupid and plain wrong.

And why does it bother you?  Go Fund Me contributions are voluntary.  If you don't agree with it ignore it, don't click on it, don't contribute.  It is very simple to me.  If other people want to chip in for sympathetic, compassionate or other reasons let them go for it.  No skin off my nose.  

Some people are simply naive and don't know better, others are stupid, some are greedy.  Up to you, up to them.

3 hours ago, n210mp said:

Hi Briggsy 

I am 74 and have no previous ailments that would stop me getting travel insurance but I cannot get travel insurance the insurers say because I am over 70 , this was  especially from the UK.

Could you advise where your Mum gets her cover from please?

Go to www.journeyman.com.

I'm over 70, husband is 74, we pay +- 135£ for a one year policy with trips up to 90 days.

7 minutes ago, mrfaroukh said:

Why am I not shock with this request?

Somehow many like her travel without insurance and others have to pay the medical bills.

Others DO NOT have to pay the medical bills - get a grip.  If no one contributes they get nothing, then everyone on TV can be happy.  

If you want to contribute you can.  If you don't want to , then don't.  Did I contribute?  No.  Does it bother me if someone else does?  No.

9 hours ago, The Stranger said:

it is always the same story, folks think that nothing's gonna happen to them and that insurances are a waste of money.

BTW Thailand should ascertain that tourists have a travel insurance before entering the Kingdom, 

Your first sentence is absolutely correct, and I’m one of the dummies- then again, you have to have insurance with a reputable company that will pay up and not make excuses to weasel out of paying. How do you find an ethical company?

Regards your second sentence, do you really think it’s Thailand’s responsibility? If so, fair enough to apply that logic to every country in the world...

Thanks

41 minutes ago, mrfaroukh said:

Why am I not shock with this request?

Somehow many like her travel without insurance and others have to pay the medical bills.

Ah, foreigners on holiday here trying to get away without paying the full medical bill.  She won't be the last and I can guarantee you that.

11 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Go fund me.      x

Loan.   

All those friends and family and nobody is prepared to loan this woman £10,000 instead they go to the local paper to assist in begging money from strangers. I understand that many Brits, used to the welfare state, travel abroad without insurance and expect others to pick up the tab but I don't have to like it. My mother is 86, regularly travels abroad and arranges insurance every time, which she has never used.  

i'm curious as to what insurance company would cover an 86 year old person.  At that age people usually have a few developing health issues on top of their age. 

If you don't mind, could you tell me the name of the company?   It must be pretty pricy I would think .  Only for the very very well off financially. 

Thank you.

33 minutes ago, roadrunner32 said:

To those who, in the comments, sponsor and incite to obtain an health insurance, would be able to indicate which company insures a 64-year-old probably with pre-existing conditions? And at which prices of course. Let's see how good you are.

I'm 67, and discovered I need quadruple heart by-pass surgery.  My insurance company told me they require me to stay in country, (Canada) and not travel back to southeast Asia.  

They will not cover me out of country with this condition.

They told me that there are three conditions for them to cover me out of country.  If I complete the three conditions, they will cover me as before with no increase of premium.

1. I must get the by-pass surgery

2. It must be successful   (obviously)

3. Following the heart bypass surgery and the healing recovery weeks, I must be stable for a minimum of 90 days according to my surgeon and cardiologist.

All three conditions must be met..  and then they will again be happy to cover me for out of country as previously with no increase of premium cost,  and I can return to southeast Asia. 

Just now, Catoni said:

I'm 67, and discovered I need quadruple heart by-pass surgery.  My insurance company told me they require me to stay in country, (Canada) and not travel back to southeast Asia.  

They will not cover me out of country with this condition.

They told me that there are three conditions for them to cover me out of country.  If I complete the three conditions, they will cover me as before with no increase of premium.

1. I must get the by-pass surgery

2. It must be successful   (obviously)

3. Following the heart bypass surgery and the healing recovery weeks, I must be stable for a minimum of 90 days according to my surgeon and cardiologist.

All three conditions must be met..  and then they will again be happy to cover me for out of country as previously with no increase of premium cost,  and I can return to southeast Asia. 

Yep.. it must be difficult... BUT.... If you were to travel and fell ill, would you expect strangers to fund your hospital bills and recovery or have you 'self insured' to ensure you can cover any charges should your health slip into decline?

47 minutes ago, roadrunner32 said:

To those who, in the comments, sponsor and incite to obtain an health insurance, would be able to indicate which company insures a 64-year-old probably with pre-existing conditions? And at which prices of course. Let's see how good you are.

So then you cant afford it. Stay Home. As most responsible folks have to do.

Archived