SMASHED! Pattaya Expats drink everyone else under the table, new survey reveals

webfact

SMASHED! Pattaya Expats drink everyone else under the table, new survey reveals

cheers.jpg

A survey has revealed that foreign expats in Pattaya drink more than anyone else. 

A Thaivisa survey has showed showed that almost a third of Pattaya expats have a beer every single day. 

This compared to a Thailand wide average of about one in four. 

The survey also revealed that some expats may be killing themselves with their beer consumption.

A staggering 7% admitted to imbibing 50 bottles a week. 

Figures from the UK showed that this was not safe, the survey claimed. 

Some 64% of 118 respondents in Pattaya admitted to having a beer three times a week. 

There were also details about those who abstain:

The teetotal in the UK amounted to one in five of the population. 

But in Thailand that dropped to one in ten. 

In detail 31% of Pattaya expats said they had a beer everyday.

In the whole of Thailand this was 27%. 

pp.jpg

In all there were 692 respondents to the survey - more than those who were asked to vote on whether Thailand would be better or worse in five years time. 

Thaivisa notes that expats seemed to be enjoying a beer today and letting tomorrow look after itself - especially in Pattaya!

Survey: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1080814-survey-beer-drinking-habits-among-expats/

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-30

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Been here 10+ years.  I've had maybe 3 large Chang and 5 Spy in all that time. lol

Woop woop for you,I had mates in the uk that didn't drink. Their dead all ready so I drink every day. 

26 minutes ago, webfact said:

A survey has revealed that foreign expats in Pattaya drink more than anyone else. 

Foreign expats probably spend a great deal more money than anyone else too, supporting the local economy. While we sometimes see stories of drunk tourists, the expats, who do drink a fair bit, generally seem to be able to handle it a lot better than some locals I have seen staggering about, pissed like the proverbial newt.

Let them drink themselves to death, their life their choice. I don't see the point on holding it against people that they neglect to take care of their bodies. That is a personal choice everyone should make for themselves. You can't force someone to live healthy, i can understand that people get forced to live healthy if there is some kind of health care program everyone pays into but the people drinking make more use of. But that is not the case for the expats in Thailand / Pattaya. 

34 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Been here 10+ years.  I've had maybe 3 large Chang and 5 Spy in all that time. lol

Here 10+ years and posted 18.442 times! That's 5 posts every single day of the year for 10 years! . Take time off and have a beer. 

Let them drink themselves to death, their life their choice. I don't see the point on holding it against people that they neglect to take care of their bodies. That is a personal choice everyone should make for themselves. You can't force someone to live healthy, i can understand that people get forced to live healthy if there is some kind of health care program everyone pays into but the people drinking make more use of. But that is not the case for the expats in Thailand / Pattaya. 
Drinking your self to death is hard to do unless you are one of the few chronic alcoholics. Big difference between a steady drinker and chronic alcoholism although non drinkers like to smugly classify all drinkers as chronic

The liver is an incredibly powerful organ. Dad was a big drinker and I followed him into my 40's and then had the dreaded blood tests. Liver was in The NORMAL range lol

This morning I read where the governor of Bangkok was encouraging people to spray water from high rise buildings to help clear the pollution :shock1: 

Surely newsworthiness couldn't get any lower than that today were my thoughts ???? TV have managed it with this ridiculous "survey" ????

I picked the wrong day to quit drinking, time to open one ????

16 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

Here 10+ years and posted 18.442 times! That's 5 posts every single day of the year for 10 years! . Take time off and have a beer. 

Maybe you should check again how many posts he actually has, it seems you have already had too many beers today to see straight. ???? 

Sophon

52 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

...the expats, who do drink a fair bit, generally seem to be able to handle it a lot better than some locals...

The reason lies in the genes: Many Asians from this region lack or are short of a certain enzyme in their adrenal gland, which participates in the degradation of the alcohol. It carries the unspeakable name "acetaldehyde dehydrogenase", in short: ALDH.

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

Drinking your self to death is hard to do unless you are one of the few chronic alcoholics. Big difference between a steady drinker and chronic alcoholism although non drinkers like to smugly classify all drinkers as chronic

The liver is an incredibly powerful organ. Dad was a big drinker and I followed him into my 40's and then had the dreaded blood tests. Liver was in The NORMAL range lol

I don't judge people for their choices. But if you drink a lot it will damage you just like many other things. That your dad was lucky does not mean you will be too.

I am a non drinker (not completely true I do drink once every few months) but I really don't care what others do if that makes them happy let them go on. But there are risks, just like there are risks when you eat too much carbs and stuff and end up being a diabetic. 

I feel it all falls under personal responsibility, i drive a motorcycle, also dangerous I chose to do it I know the risks. I try to keep in shape but that is just a personal choice.. I just don't like the taste of beer. Now if weed was legal here id have an extra vice.

1 hour ago, Patriot said:

A survey has also revealed that many if not most surveys done here are an utter waste of time, state the bl**d**g obvious and serve no purpose whatsoever!!!!!!!

Have to disagree with you on this one Patriot. One of the good things to come from surveys is that it focuses our minds on the value of life, and for some, the afterlife. Especially if the survey is applicable to us personally.

My friend in Pattaya, drinks a crate/box of Leo every day. He will never drink more than the 12 (large) bottles. Even if he has finished the lot by early afternoon he will not have another. His self-discipline is astounding.

For myself; I only drink home-made mushroom or garlic wine*. Then only in moderation; just a glass a day. I can recommend it to anyone that would like to be taller and more muscular. I've gone from 1.91m to 1.94m in just 12 months and I'm more muscular now than this time last year.

* Full details for brewing are available in the TVForum archives.

24 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Big or small bottles? Also 7% of people drink 50 bottles a week? That's 7 bottles a day, fair amount if this survey is correct 

The survey stated small ones. Or was it big ones? Damn I was so pissed when I did the survey I’ve forgotten now. 

PS They were small ones. 

13 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

The reason lies in the genes: Many Asians from this region lack or are short of a certain enzyme in their adrenal gland, which participates in the degradation of the alcohol. It carries the unspeakable name "acetaldehyde dehydrogenase", in short: ALDH.

Isn't that the store in UK which sells cheap booze?                        Oh, shit sorry, that's ALDI.

One beer a day?  Things must be changing.  When I lived there I didn't know anyone who had less than 10 beers a day.  1 with breakfast.  A couple with lunch.  3 before dinner with snacks.  2 with dinner unless Italian then wine.  Brandy/cognac after dinner.  Bucket of beer 6 when dancing and a shot before bed.  So how many is that?  I'm a moderate to temperate drinker compared to my Irish friends.  

692 respondents (I was one of them! - last time I give Dan the ammunition to moralise in my direction 555.)

692 extrapolated to how many? 10,000? 50,000? Why did you pick on just the Pattaya respondents? Numbers saucier? Maybe we are all practically Tea-Total over in Hua Hin. Seriously, as a sample this fall so far short of being representative, that I personally would be embarrassed to extrapolate anything from it.

17 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

You need to cut down then.   LOL

Chang is 'orrible, and Spy is even worse.

Nah, 

After many years in West Africa, i got used to Star Larger.

was a bit of time adjusting to it, but got there in the end.

Just stick with the Chang, it gets better, just takes a bit of time.  Aroy. 

41 minutes ago, CGW said:

This morning I read where the governor of Bangkok was encouraging people to spray water from high rise buildings to help clear the pollution :shock1: 

Surely newsworthiness couldn't get any lower than that today were my thoughts ???? TV have managed it with this ridiculous "survey" ????

I picked the wrong day to quit drinking, time to open one ????

When I read that an image of people pissing off the balcony flashed into my mind.????

Archived