BANGKOK
moogradod

New High End PC

My main PC has only survived the journey to Thailand in our container with a defect: It shuts off automatically after some minutes - most likely due to it detecting an overheated CPU - which may actually not be overheated. Prior to the uncontrolled shutdown the fan inside starts to make strange noises.

This PC is a 12 core machine. I need the power for my Digital Audio Workstation for recording guitar and for editing high resolution videos. It features as well a vast number (about 12 or so) USB ports to connect various guitar effects. It still runs on Windows 7 professional but hosts quite some expensive software which needs to be ported.

Its now time to definitely get a powerful Windows 10 PC (I have some, but lower spec - used as backup). Where can I find a really decent shop which may provide not only laptops but High End PCs which are extentable with boards (Must be a tower casing, perferably with liquid cooling) and the very latest processor available in Thailand. What I have seen in Pattaya so far is less than promising, but I might look in the wrong place.

Then I need a repair for the old PC (worst case is replacement of mother board) or a new PC in which to install the 2 old drives. I then have an Acronis Backup to restore the configuration, this should work even with only compatible HW, but with WIndows 7. Need the old one running while setting up the new one based on Win10 in parallel.

Where to go ? Pattaya and vicinity would of course be the very first choice. But if need be I might even make a visit to Bangkok. Thanks for any hints.

Everything can be ordered online nowdays, providing you can assemble it yourself.

Safe the hassle going to shop and online price might be cheaper than shops.

Just buy it all at one of the big IT shops and let them assemble it. You can also let invade IT assemble it for a price. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Just buy it all at one of the big IT shops and let them assemble it. You can also let invade IT assemble it for a price. 

I would never attempt to assemble it all by myself. But the "combination" method needs very careful consideration. Not everything is compatibel and even if it is it might not work well together. I have to rely on a sound expertise - and possibly examples and reference.

Which brings me back to the original question: Which shops exactly where to buy the parts and with the expertise to know which parts ?  The statement is "one of the big IT shops". I have not seen so many in Pattaya and what I have seen had not one single upper class PC on display. Tucom may feature at least a shop that might repair my "old" Windows 7 PC - which is a task that needs to be done as well.

Edited by moogradod

FRACTAL Tower, 2 x 128 Corsair SSDs, 1 TB & 500GB WD Caviar Black hard drives, 8GB RAM, i5 CPU, ASUS motherboard, Genuine w10 Pro installed plus Sonar Cakewalk Platinum, Audacity, etc etc. Plus a Line 6 UX2 audio interface brand new from USA.

I have had 32 tracks of audio running simultaneously on this machine.

If interested PM me. Cheers.

• Like 1

Exactly. My gaming pc was assembled in the shop while I had lunch with no charge. Far better specs and cheaper than buying a take away unit

2 minutes ago, madmen said:
1 hour ago, robblok said:

Exactly. My gaming pc was assembled in the shop while I had lunch with no charge. Far better specs and cheaper than buying a take away unit

Not sure if its always cheaper.. but one thing for sure it give you a lot more options. 

• Like 1

I would not try to buy any high-end equipment here. Prices are silly, and both choice and availability are minimal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I would not try to buy any high-end equipment here. Prices are silly, and both choice and availability are minimal.

I unfortunately have to. But maybe it can be done on a modular basis as some suggest here. 4K Video Editing and latency issues and virtual instruments (polyphonic piano is using quite some ressources - needs to reproduce all these overtones) with recording call for the latest processor and a huge amount of RAM, like 64GB or even 128GB if this is available.

HW is aging quickly, the best strategy is to determine the very latest available and then go back one step to buy the second best available for the absolute top end is always unreasonabley expensive. With the very latest I mean the very latest on an international scale. Things may be imported if need to. I know its expensive, but actually it is my fault - could have bought what I need now in Switzerland possibly at a fraction of the price. Now I am more wise but it does not help.

What I am desperately missing so far is the adress of one single shop that might qualify out of the "one of the big shops".

Edited by moogradod

34 minutes ago, moogradod said:

What I am desperately missing so far is the adress of one single shop

https://www.invadeit.co.th/

can not hurt to tell them what you need. i believe invadeit is Farang owned. maybe they can build it for you. 

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/cpus-processors/intel/core-i9-9900k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz-p040276/

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like the cooling isn't sufficient now you have the computer in a hotter climate.
The cheaper option before buying a whole new computer would be to try improve the air flow on the original computer.
Add an extra fan or try water cooling.
You could first try removing the side panel and blowing air on the MOBO and CPU from a room fan to see if that improves it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, moogradod said:

What I am desperately missing so far is the adress of one single shop that might qualify out of the "one of the big shops".

See the other recent topic in this sub-forum where people have commented about ordering direct from Newegg.

I also dont understand why you dont just clean or replace the fan as I mentioned yesterday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I also dont understand why you dont just clean or replace the fan as I mentioned yesterday.

I will bring the PC to Tucom and have the vent exchanged and tell them to have a look at the cooling as a whole. With your bold eye, you see nothing unusual. Of course I opened the box long ago.

invade-IT has interesting components and recent ones, too, but at high prices. Have not seen on ther website that they would assemble for me. I have a friend in Hua Hin who runs a business there. Maybe he could ask them peronally. Will look into that "Newegg" issue you (KittenKong) mentioned. Need some time, for daily use (like posting on TV) I have 1 more desktop and 2 Laptops as backups.