New High End PC

moogradod

14 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I have edited on many platforms including Avid and a strong video processor is required. 

The consensus on the net is that GPUs still don’t have a huge impact on any kind of performance improvement when editing videos. This, of course, will be very much dependent on the software used, and how much support for GPUs it has. Generally, there are some effects that might be GPU-accelerated, but it does not contribute much to the overall workflow performance improvement.

So spending over 40,000 baht on an RTX2080Ti just to see maybe 5% improvement in one small segment (calculate and apply effects) of the overall workflow, is plain stupid.

The majority of the workflow, including the final encoding, is reading/writing to storage devices, and CPU/memory processing.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:32 AM, robblok said:

Just buy it all at one of the big IT shops and let them assemble it. You can also let invade IT assemble it for a price. 

Also if one of the components happens to be defective this puts you out of having to figure if you're doing something wrong, which takes time, and then bringing things back, explaining the problem, "maybe you make mistake" etc.

The upper floors of Panthip had places where you had menus of component parts and prices where you just ticked off what you wanted and they would build it.  I would think other IT malls would have such places.

On 2/2/2019 at 1:14 PM, SpaceKadet said:

I am not sure if InvadeIT will assemble the rig. I've picked up things at the shop couple of times, but didn't see any assembly area. The best is to email Thomas and ask. He is very helpful, as already stated, and quick to reply. He might have a deal with another shop to do assemblies. One thing to remember is that they don't stock very much, and might need 2-3 days to get everything.

I also noticed that InvadeIT have Asus and Creative sound cards. http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/sound-cards/

he has a guy in Hua Hin that can build it for you for a little fee.

anyways, worth a watch for people scared of building a PC:

• 7 months later...

Update for anybody interested: My new PC is now operational. AMD Threadripper 2950X water cooled, 64 GB RAM, ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha Motherboard, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 TI GPU, 250 and 500 GB SSD plus 4 TB HD, Corsair Case with RGB lightning.

All from invadeIT. Robert Skyum is most helpful and I can definitely recommend invadeIT. The PC was build in Bangkok and needed a lot of reconfiguration because there had been compatibility issues - which were finally resolved because of the extraordinary support of Robert and his builder.

Having said that I would recommend to rather consider a Intel based platform again. Setting the machine up with AMD was not easy. But either way, invadeIT is definitely a company you should consider.

Forgrins, you might try the JIB website (jib.co.th).  They have an app on their menu called "spec computer".  The first thing that you choose is the CPU and then the next is MB.  It only shows the MB's that are compatible with the CPU and then it goes from there: VGA, memory, HDD, SSD and so on.  I,nm not sure if they will assemble for you but they have many stores and one might.

On 9/18/2019 at 2:41 PM, moogradod said:

Having said that I would recommend to rather consider a Intel based platform again. Setting the machine up with AMD was not easy.

I recently setup a Ryzen machine, no problem whatsoever. So any problems you might have experienced are not general problems.

AMD currently clearly offers the better performance for the price.

11 hours ago, wayned said:

Forgrins, you might try the JIB website (jib.co.th).  They have an app on their menu called "spec computer".  The first thing that you choose is the CPU and then the next is MB.  It only shows the MB's that are compatible with the CPU and then it goes from there: VGA, memory, HDD, SSD and so on.  I,nm not sure if they will assemble for you but they have many stores and one might.

Might work for some configurations, but this is more theory than practice. We had to change "compatible" MBs twice to make it work with the overall config. And even the memory compatibility charts do not always tell the whole truth, not to speak about the RAM frequency setting that will work reliably. Much of it is trial and error.

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

I recently setup a Ryzen machine, no problem whatsoever. So any problems you might have experienced are not general problems.

AMD currently clearly offers the better performance for the price.

AMD has nice specs (there is a reason why I choose AMD ????) but while building the system we came to the conclusion that any Intel based patform would not have posed that much of a challenge than the Ryzen variety. Experience from over 1000 custom builds.

Archived