Source of income refused by immigration

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They will accept it if it is 40k baht or more coming in every month.

I am currently on a retirement extension of stay with more than 65K baht coming in every month. My comment was regarding reports that some immigration offices are not accepting the bank statement methods of proving income.

13 minutes ago, Ahab said:

My comment was regarding reports that some immigration offices are not accepting the bank statement methods of proving income.

Can you please cite an use case (except this one. The gentleman is able to get his letter) when "income in the bank" method was not accepted

11 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Sounds fair to me.

Fair enough if that is what T.I. means in their new directives.

Or is it an interpretation by one office/officer ?

We may read here soon other different interpretations by other offices/officers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wgdanson said:

So let's get this straight. If your Embassy will still issue a letter you must go there. If your Embassy WILL NOT issue a letter, your bank and the IO do it. 

They will, If you have pension in Norway the Embassy or Consulate in Thailand make the pension letter.

15 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Would that mean that the monthly transfers of 40/65000 system is only accessible for the 4 countries which can not obtain a L. o. I. anymore?

Or the interpretation of 1 officer? 

Probably the latter.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

They will now since the new rules came out last month.

For those still able to get the income letter from your embassy, use it, but even so start accumelating proof of transferring money from abroad into a Thai bank account.

There seems to be more change in the air, I gather.

Edited by hansnl
  • Thanks 1

Seems to me the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing,,, what’s the use in having the Laws if imagration can just make it up as it goes,,,,bottom line is they want your money in thai banks so the country can use it...letters and pension plans mean nothing to this goverment,,I suggest moving to Vietnam it’s much simpler,,no headaches and they love american money there,,,,Trust me if enough leave here the rules will change and change quickly..

Hear something funny I think the same papers to immigration to get an extension on my OA retirement visa and they say they won’t give me an extension but is the same papers that I sent to the Thai consulate in Los Angeles to get the visa to start with now explain that to me why the paperwork is good at the Thai consulate out of the country but the same paperwork is not acceptable To imagration here in thailand to extend a retirement visa? The system is crookeded,,,that’s all it is,, I will not put that kind of money in a thai bank account no way,,my bank is much more secure in the states,,changing to a tourist visa and will just make border runs...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Rahibew said:

now explain that to me why the paperwork is good at the Thai consulate out of the country but the same paperwork is not acceptable To imagration here in thailand to extend a retirement visa?

O-A Visa that you get in your home country and

Retirement/Marriage Extension that you get in Thailand

are 2 totally different things.

Why should they require the same documents? :unsure:

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Rahibew said:

Seems to me the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing,,, what’s the use in having the Laws if imagration can just make it up as it goes,,,,bottom line is they want your money in thai banks so the country can use it...letters and pension plans mean nothing to this goverment,,I suggest moving to Vietnam it’s much simpler,,no headaches and they love american money there,,,,Trust me if enough leave here the rules will change and change quickly..

How many are you thinking of? Do you really believe the exit of a few hundred expats, if that happens, will affect Thai immigration laws? What is Thai immigration concerned about? ANSWER: Tourism.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mann33bkk said:

Yes, I had a full year of transactions meeting the requirement for extention. The bank letter shows detail every transaction from abroad. I did complain on the spot, and was advised to  boss in the L section. She spoke a lot about I could not use this type of income. Only letter from embassy or 400 000 in the account for 2 months prior to extention

Maybe this is where the problem is, maybe it is the type of income that is not acceptable. Maybe the income is not from a government pension and therefore it cannot be guaranteed. Maybe the only guarantee that he can get for this type of income is from his embassy. Just a thought

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wgdanson said:

If your Embassy will still issue a letter you must go there. If your Embassy WILL NOT issue a letter, your bank and the IO do it. 

Why the ???s                        Sorry for the repeat.

i was not aware that IO could issue a letter proving income.

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Maybe this is where the problem is, maybe it is the type of income that is not acceptable. Maybe the income is not from a government pension and therefore it cannot be guaranteed. Maybe the only guarantee that he can get for this type of income is from his embassy. Just a thought

That is a very good thought and rings a bell. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

There would be nothing in the bank statements to identify the sources of income, pensions, dividends, interest, employment, just a transfer amount.

Same with Embassy letters.

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

There would be nothing in the bank statements to identify the sources of income, pensions, dividends, interest, employment, just a transfer amount.

Same with Embassy letters.

The bank statements may not show anything, but what about the bank letter that goes with the statements. Does that show anything? It is just that the IO said that this type of income is not acceptable that says that something about the income is in question, so something must have been presented to the IO for her to say that.

3 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Can you please cite an use case (except this one. The gentleman is able to get his letter) when "income in the bank" method was not accepted

No, my comment was about income going into a bank from abroad, not income in the bank and seasoned. Search the forums and you will find several examples of people claiming that some immigration offices are not recognizing income every month as being a valid way of satisfying the extension of stay requirements. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

To make an extension based on retirement, off the back of your OA visa, you have to prove you have adequate funds in Thailand, as you are obtaining an extension to allow permission of stay in Thailand it seems perfectly reasonable that your funds should now be in Thailand.

My funds are in Thailand every time- I go to a Thai ATM and use my US  debit card.  I never bring in less than 65K per month and sometimes over 100K per month.  Easily proved via a printout of my Bank Account records which even shows the exact location of the thai ATM used =backed up by the Debit Card number on the receipt.  Absolute proof I have the monthly income and the amount brought into Thailand.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, indepth said:

i was not aware that IO could issue a letter proving income.

Sorry a misunderstanding. I was meaning that to get the extension, you get a letter crtifying your income if they still do it. If not, it is your bank and IO who certify the income.

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

The income can be from any source, pension, share divis, rental income, selling your body parts (LOL), as long as it comes into Thailand and is above 65/40k per month. So I am led to belive.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry a misunderstanding. I was meaning that to get the extension, you get a letter crtifying your income if they still do it. If not, it is your bank and IO who certify the income.

........ but you said the banks don't certify income ?

1 minute ago, LucysDad said:

........ but you said the banks don't certify income ?

The bank will issue a letter for the IO showing that the income into the bank came from abroad ie FTT or International Transfer shown on your bank book or statement, which I could do myself.

THe IO will then look at all those documents and hopefully accept them. No?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

The income can be from any source, pension, share divis, rental income, selling your body parts (LOL), as long as it comes into Thailand and is above 65/40k per month. So I am led to belive.

Well, it appears that there is something about the type of income that has attracted the IO's attention and she has said that this type of income is not acceptable. What type of income it was we do not know but it is something that we should be wary of if we do our extensions via the income system. One of the mistakes that the OP has made was to argue with an IO because if you are silly enough to do that then you can expect all sorts of problems, so maybe it was that, that has caused his problem

• Thanks 1