Source of income refused by immigration

13 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Sure you can. It's pretty straight forward.

If your embassy provides the letter. Go and get it.

If they don't, use the bank details. 

Pretty straight forward and easy. 

I have just completed my 13th extension here using combination of British Embassy letter and 200K Baht in my Thai bank account. No mention of keeping any money in the bank after extension too. They give an exchange rate of 42.17 Baht, nice.

I was going to ask about what to do for next year but lost the will to live by then.

Really appreciate your input, should you wish to discuss any further I live in the town of Phu Toei and I am easy to find.

18 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Pray tell how!

How about the yearly pension statement for the pension provider saying 'xx received a pension of xx per month'. Seems very clear to me, and the claim from the applicant has been verified by the paperwork.

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I don't recall which iof the countless threads but there has been more than one such report.  Either German or Scandinavian.

Without seeing in detail those reports I find your post not contributing, but distracting and possibly incorrect.

1 hour ago, phutoie2 said:

I have just completed my 13th extension here using combination of British Embassy letter and 200K Baht in my Thai bank account

Where is 'here' please?

You seem to have successfully used the combination method and I am pleased to see 400,000 baht minimum was not needed.  

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Where is 'here' please?

You seem to have successfully used the combination method and I am pleased to see 400,000 baht minimum was not needed.  

Thanks, Phetchabun province, in the city. The second in command there, a pleasant lady Captain did mention that there would be some leeway this year.  They did seem to take an eternity converting my GBP pension into Thai Baht and making sure I had seasoned the money for three months in my Thai savings account,  but in the end they agreed to it so no probs.

Since living here I have done extensions at Suan Plu, Nan, Phitsanulok and Phetchabun, so you like to think you are prepared, however with the recent changes I was a little concerned they would not allow the combo method with such a small sum in the bank.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Citibank route the payment through Bank of Thailand to your local account, as do many other foreign financial institutions.

The method of transaction is known as the BAHTNET system. Coded BNT in a passbook.

It is a foreign transaction.

The information is sent as a string, in order to go to a local account the system would need to concatenate the Swift code, branch code and account number. For this to be successful the branch code would need to be correctly positioned in the string, something that is subject to DWP input and may account for some people reporting delays. If the branch code is not detected correctly the payment would go to head office and be distributed from there.

This is completely different to using an 11 character Swift code where the branch is integral to the code. In Thailand 11 character Swift codes are only used for commercial accounts.

You may well be right about the passbook, I have consolidated entries in mine so not seen the code for many years. On internet statements it shows up as "Baht Net".

4 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

I have just completed my 13th extension here using combination of British Embassy letter and 200K Baht in my Thai bank account. No mention of keeping any money in the bank after extension too. They give an exchange rate of 42.17 Baht, nice.

I was going to ask about what to do for next year but lost the will to live by then.

Really appreciate your input, should you wish to discuss any further I live in the town of Phu Toei and I am easy to find.

What were you told regarding spending the 200K?

They are getting very fussy on our source of income overseas.  A pension income is acceptable because it looks easy to verify by embassy or Thai Immigration.  If you use rental income or share dividends it gets too hard for them.    My embassy which still issues letters insisted on saying (this year for the first time) that my income overseas is from "pension and investments."   The Immigration staff dickered over that for 10 minutes and I think it is only that I am well known there that it got through last week.  But Retirement people are now getting home visits in my area and they say he will want to examine my pass books for proof of transferring income.   But I already have the stamps in my PP.   All government branches in LOS make up their own rules.  They even wanted to see 12 months of deposits which was only announced in December 2018 because they said the rule applies from March this year: Which of course is absolutely impossible and ludicrous.   I am going to return home to live later this year anyway and Immigration concerns are a part of my reasons.  And another one bites the dust!!  Living isolated in the country an hour's drive from the nearest reasonable hospital is the biggest concern.  Thai wife wants to leave here too as life is (seriously) too hot and hard for her here.  But mainly isolation and health fears.  I am 71 and a decent heart attack or stroke and I would be toast.  I bought an AED (defibrillator) but wife is too scared to even let me show her how to use it.   

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

mmigration also never stated or published in the rules that the required income could be left in a foreign bank or varying amounts of income could be transferred to suit the individual.

The limit was set for a reason.

Reading the old rule although TI never stipulated the income must be transferred, it's then followed by funds requirement that must be deposited in a Thai bank. It appears clear to me that TI intended those incomes to be transferred for use in Thailand, but it was expats who assumed from lack of confirmation in the order that they could do as they wish.

Various amounts could be brought into Thailand simply because the   Police Order  referred to proof of income- that meant that one had to have either proof of receiving 65K or 40K per month.   TI once satisfied that  the income existed did not care how you got it into Thailand.  Obviously, some people live on less and others much more.

Years ago when TI asked me to prove my income and source- they readily accepted my letters from  US Government sources and private pension - backed up by my US Bank account which showed the exact same amounts.  They asked me how I got the money into Thailand- showed my US Debit cards and ATM receipts.  They immediately issued my  retirement extension.  They were not interested in amounts brought in except that I had the means to access it immediately and really had  the income. This was at CW  

This makes perfect sense as someone in the age group of retirement is not  suspected of working in Thailand  but obviously have to have some income from  a source to  pay rent;  eat and  income for all the other necessities.

At the same time there were reports of both CW and Jomtien asking for copies of one's foreign ATM cards for their records.

The current police order showing 65K coming into a Thai bank account proves  not much except someone has  65K coming in. It does not prove sustainable income stream  or prove one  has  any income stream. 

As far as the 800K- they stated in the past it had to be in a Thai bank- simply because  it was to be used for monthly expenses. Now, they have gone away from this and dreamed up a silly scenario of locking the monies up and thus someone who uses this method has to have  other income to live on. Either the 800K is to live on or not but apparently they are now saying one can live on 400K  .

What they really want  is the Embassy Letters because that gives them an easy path to approve the extension. I am also convinced that TI is quite irritated with the  US/UK/ Aus Embassies for not working out a solution and these half arsed schemes they  have established is a type of 'punishment' to make it harder to comply.  Of course, use an agent- pay the fees- and all your troubles go away.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

How about the yearly pension statement for the pension provider saying 'xx received a pension of xx per month'.

That's merely accepting a document at face value.

'Verification' is authenticating the document and it's contents are genuine.

You can only do that through the person or organisation that supplied the document.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

What were you told regarding spending the 200K?

It was not mentioned and I intend spending it.  This more than likely will be the last retirement extension for me, as The British Embassy no longer issue the income letter and I do not keep large funds in Thai banks. I had been in the office nearly four hours and did not want to get in any discussions about next years extension.  My wife was with me and the IO made her laugh out loud when she asked if we were properly married or with string.