Diploma in Teaching

MarcelV

As I am on my second two-year waiver now I have begun to more and more think about my future as a teacher in Thailand. I don't have an education degree and enrolling in a four-year bachelor program seems like a waste of money and time, considering that I only make 30k-ish money monthly.

The only other option to indefinitely(?) extend my stay here is to enroll in a TCT-approved Teaching Diploma course.

My Filipino colleague told me the number of credits needed just increased to 30-something. I am worried to spend my time on a program that is not (yet) currently certified by TCT.

Which current TD programs are known, under current regulations, to lead to the 5-year teaching license? I would prefer one with few contact hours as I live 1000+ km from Bangkok.

1 hour ago, Loaded said:

I've been told that very soon there should be an official government announcement regarding new, and more flexible, qualifications for teacher licenses.

I sure hope so. At least some clarity would be welcomed by many.

23 hours ago, Loaded said:

I've been told that very soon there should be an official government announcement regarding new, and more flexible, qualifications for teacher licenses.

I don't. It only means under qualified wanna be teachers are going to join the already full ranks available now and this will in turn keep the offer high and demand low. Which, in turn, results in crappy salaries as we can see now. 

Salaries have been stuck at the 30 000 level for the last 16 years I have been here...

The public discussion concerning revised requirements had never stated they will include foreigners. It was reducing eligibility for licencing from 5 years down to 4.

Do you specifically know more?

I would just ride it out. Get all your waivers and move on. You live way outside Bangkok, I presume your wages are at best 42-45.

60k amortized over three years is approximately 1500b+ pm hit to your bottom line.

Teachers often neglect to factor in all the costs. Computers, clothes, transport, materials, incidentals...

If you are on a professional track here you might be able to recoup the costs. If not, it's simply not worth paying 150k for a 45k month job.

Possibly do a master's and move on to another country which will compensate you for that.

You won't get much if anything other than a license out of any 60k thb post grad degree as well. I was quite disappointed.

I am not a native English speaker and see my chances of netting a better job as very low. Especially outside of Thailand. Better to stick to my 30k job in the sticks and try to extend my stay here indefinitely by getting some proper qualification besides my math degree.

Which current TD programs are known, under current regulations, to lead to the 5-year teaching license? I would prefer one with few contact hours as I live 1000+ km from Bangkok.

St. Theresa - Bangkok, St. Roberts - Bangkok and the PGCEi by Nottingham.

34 minutes ago, aidenai said:

St. Theresa - Bangkok, St. Roberts - Bangkok and the PGCEi by Nottingham.

The St. Roberts is done through Philippine Christian University and I have confirmed it is accredited by TCT and seems to be the top choice for Fillipino teachers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 4:32 PM, MarcelV said:

I am not a native English speaker and see my chances of netting a better job as very low. Especially outside of Thailand. Better to stick to my 30k job in the sticks and try to extend my stay here indefinitely by getting some proper qualification besides my math degree.

At Bangkok School of Management, they offer 2-3 years online Bachelor degree in education. I believe the cost is around 150K.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 11:57 AM, Jadam said:

The St. Roberts is done through Philippine Christian University and I have confirmed it is accredited by TCT and seems to be the top choice for Fillipino teachers.

Khrusapa offers no accreditation nor from my experience and reading verifies any degrees local or otherwise it accepts at any given moment. Even StR will shug and say it's worked for years but TiT.

I have recently got my fourth waiver teaching license from Khurusapha. On my thought, you better to get enrolled in Some Diploma (Education) is way better than doing some bachelor. Doing bachelors in Thailand is way cozier than our home. Moreover, if you're holding bachelors means, you may get wavier for at least three in a row. After that, you have to hold a Diploma or bachelor in Education. Otherwise, it's hard to get another waiver license. St.Roberts / St. Theresa is the cheaper among others. So many of my friends done their Diploma in there, know what they got their five year P.L also. I'm also doing my diploma over there. Moreover I'm also 800 Km away from Bkk. I have got classes for two days in a month.

Archived