PM Prayut vows to crack the whip over pollution

webfact

PM vows to crack the whip over pollution

By PRATCH RUJIVANAROM, 
NATTHAPAT PHROMKAEW 
THE NATION

cb1e3da0a77b06534272e6d77ab9e2aa.jpeg

Calls for greater cooperation from the public and threatens officials with punishment.

THE PRIME MINISTER has said he is determined to step up measures to fight the worsening air pollution problem plaguing the capital, saying he may even issue drastic orders limiting the use of vehicles.

a888f07b9e355ec92b8501c460388ac5.jpeg

Traffic makes its way along a road as heavy smog lingers in the air in Bangkok, Thailand, 30 January 2019. // EPA-EFE PHOTO

Premier General Prayut Chan-o-cha stressed that everybody should contribute towards smog-mitigation efforts, or the junta will enforce stern pollution-control measures.

Speaking at the opening ceremony of “Our Country, Our Future” exhibition yesterday, Prayut warned that if the smog in Bangkok was not effectively tackled, he will have an order issued by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) prohibiting people from driving alone, ban the use of diesel cars and even implement road-space rationing to mitigate the PM2.5 crisis.

Prayut also warned that local authorities and related agencies face punishment if they fail to control pollution and improve the situation.

f4b45f475a171d146fff13fb36edfadd.jpeg

With the air quality in Bangkok and nearby provinces continuing to worsen yesterday, and the level of very fine and harmful particulate matter – PM2.5 – expected to remain well above the safe standards until this weekend, the authorities began imposing stricter measures. 

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has designated the city a pollution-control zone and asked schools and universities in the capital to be closed for two days.

The PM also voiced his frustration with the ineffective efforts to tackle the air pollution problem in Bangkok, calling on all stakeholders to be more dedicated to pollution control efforts.

“The problem with PM2.5 is caused by multiple factors, so everyone needs to work together to tackle with these pollution factors and solve the problem at the root,” Prayut said.

8deeaed5dececaba6703d7a22fa0b5ca.jpeg

“Some people have picked the air-pollution issue to criticise the government, but the government insists that we have already implemented all necessary short-term mitigation measures such as spraying water to lower PM2.5 levels and distributing face masks. But people also have a duty to do their part.”

He urged people to have more public consciousness, follow the rules and changing their polluting habits such as using vehicles |that emit black fumes from the exhaust.

“I don’t mean to cause inconvenience to people, but we need public participation to solve the problem,” he said.

The PM also insisted that official agencies, which have the responsibility to mitigate the smog, such as the Pollution Control Department, the BMA and local authorities, must be efficient in monitoring PM2.5 levels, alert the people when the air quality drops to harmful levels, and relieve the situation to ensure the good health and well-being of the citizens.

But if it were found that related official agencies had failed to discharge their duties, Prayut warned that they would be punished.

He also asked business operators and factory owners to scale down their operations during this time and make sure their facilities met the environmental protection standard.

In the meantime, he has ordered the Internal Security Operations Command in each province to deploy military officers to inspect the operations of factories in their areas and ensure they were following the pollution emission standards.

0f487c1c703bb00761d3b56effa8320b.jpeg

Students of Thai Niyomsongkraw school in Bang Khen district wait for their parents to pick them up at noon yesterday after Bangkok authorities ordered schools closed.

Government Spokesman Puttipong Punnakanta, meanwhile, said the PM was also concerned about the well-being of students, so he asked the Education Ministry to order temporary closure of schools in the capital today and tomorrow. He also authorised provincial |governors to consider temporary |closure of schools based upon the air pollution situation in their province.

BMA Governor Aswin Kwanmuang has ordered all 50 districts of Bangkok to be designated pollution-control area under the Public Health Act so as to allow the BMA to impose stricter legal measures such as banning outdoor burning, debarring vehicles that do not pass pollution emission standards and suspending construction work by official agencies.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30363254

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-31

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...I don’t mean to cause inconvenience to people, but we need public participation to solve the problem,” he said..."

NOW you ask for public participation??? NOW???

You launched a coup and took away the Thai people's right to participate in their own affairs for over FOUR YEARS, and NOW you want cooperation? Can I suggest that you trade in your limo? And, all of your fellow Cabinet members trade in their government cars as an example? And all your military appointees to 'Independent' agencies also trade in their government vehicles? Lead by example? Then, you can ask for participation.

Weapons-grade hypocrisy...

By a weapons-grade hypocrite.

PM threatens to enforce odd-even number driving rule if other efforts to tackle smog fail

%E0%B8%82%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7-Eng

Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha warned this morning that he might be forced to introduce the odd-even number rule for motorists in Bangkok if all other measures to ease the health-threatening smog problem in Bangkok and its peripherals fail.

Touching on the ongoing smog problem during his address to officiate the National Strategy exhibition, the prime minister said he didn’t want to apply “bitter pill” to address the smog problem without first resorting to other less stringent measures in order not to hurt the people.

“If the people want me to get tough, I am ready to respond.  Any cars caught belching black smoke will be stopped right on the spot and towed away.  I will issue such order and let see if this will cause troubles or not.  I do not want to cause troubles to the people because I want them to have awareness,” said the prime minister.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pm-threatens-to-enforce-odd-even-number-driving-rule-if-other-efforts-to-tackle-smog-fail/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-01-31

26 minutes ago, Thechook said:

He controls the weather and moves storms, surely he could create a little wind and blow the smog away

I think he could create "wind" easily and naturally.

And he can make good use of the hated 44 to deal with this problem (as long as somebody tells him how to deal with it).

1 hour ago, webfact said:

debarring vehicles that do not pass pollution emission standards

See them everyday , most just need  a  full service , the amount of smart phones around very easily to have a campaign of number plate taken and given to the

"DEBARRING ENFORCERS"

They can also start by prosecuting the lazy farmers for burning the sugar cane. 3 weeks ago there was 210,000 sugar cane fires burning across Thailand without a care for anybody's health.

The farmers know it is illegal to burn yet year after year they flout the law and get away with it. 

The co-ops came out publicly and stated that they would no longer accept burnt cane but it remains to be seen how serious they are.

Every day I read the news makes me angrier and angrier that the government is sugar coating this issue with their crazy solutions when people are getting sicker every day.

I suffered a severe chest infection a few weeks back, ended up in hospital and had no choice but to leave Thailand early for work and go to Perth to see my GP. By the time I got to Perth, the chest infection became a full blown asthma attack and for the next 2 weeks I was on double doses of Cortico Steroids to keep my windpipe clear. 3 weeks later I'm starting to come good but I'm concerned that when I get back to Thailand on the 23rd Feb, it's going to start all over again. 

I've made plans to go to the country and get out of the foul air but there's no guarantee it will be any better anywhere I go. 

One positive to come out of this is it has hit the world stage and the world is watching. BKK's economy has reportedly taken a 3 billion baht hit and it will get bigger as the tourists stay away. Maybe thats what needs to happen for this show boating government to take it seriously. 

I'd put money on the fact that this time next year we'll all be repeating ourselves as nothing will be done.

Well Prayut time to stop talking, take action, the situation is critical.

Serious action is needed Now, get every smoke-belching vehicle off the roads/

Take drastic action against any person burning off fields/ rubbish, do it now.

1 hour ago, ubon farang said:

He wants to crack that whip alright Ban the cars for a week then so many Thais wont be killed on the road

Or alternatively, it won't any difference 'cos even if car-sharing became yet another 'last resort', twice the number of people would die-per-accident.

Just now, colinneil said:

Well Prayut time to stop talking, take action, the situation is critical.

Serious action is needed Now, get every smoke-belching vehicle off the roads/

Take drastic action against any person burning off fields/ rubbish, do it now.

<sarcasm mode:on>

Of course he'll take action, he always does.

The high-speed train will be up and running by 2021 as promised, and the construction is already moving ahead with leaps and bounds.

<sarcasm mode:off>

Polar Icecap Destroyers

Meanwhile whilst the world swerves away from coal power stations what does Thailand do? No mention of carbon capture here. 

https://thailand-construction.com/egat-reaffirms-coal-fired-power-plants/

Has Sgoodes mentioned as well? Burning in the fields only compounds these problems. 

614084.jpg

30193298-01.jpg

images (1).jpg

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...I don’t mean to cause inconvenience to people, but we need public participation to solve the problem,” he said..."

NOW you ask for public participation??? NOW???

You launched a coup and took away the Thai people's right to participate in their own affairs for over FOUR YEARS, and NOW you want cooperation? Can I suggest that you trade in your limo? And, all of your fellow Cabinet members trade in their government cars as an example? And all your military appointees to 'Independent' agencies also trade in their government vehicles? Lead by example? Then, you can ask for participation.

Weapons-grade hypocrisy...

By a weapons-grade hypocrite.

Indeed. A heavy duty authoritarian reverts to type just in time for an election.

Smart move, keep it up.

Arrest a few farmers for burning sugar cane, get a few Kubota drivers off the road. Excellent.

I do hope you have enough stamina to alienate the few people you haven't already alienated. Muppet.

2 hours ago, sgoodes said:

They can also start by prosecuting the lazy farmers for burning the sugar cane. 3 weeks ago there was 210,000 sugar cane fires burning across Thailand without a care for anybody's health.

The farmers know it is illegal to burn yet year after year they flout the law and get away with it. 

The co-ops came out publicly and stated that they would no longer accept burnt cane but it remains to be seen how serious they are.

Every day I read the news makes me angrier and angrier that the government is sugar coating this issue with their crazy solutions when people are getting sicker every day.

I suffered a severe chest infection a few weeks back, ended up in hospital and had no choice but to leave Thailand early for work and go to Perth to see my GP. By the time I got to Perth, the chest infection became a full blown asthma attack and for the next 2 weeks I was on double doses of Cortico Steroids to keep my windpipe clear. 3 weeks later I'm starting to come good but I'm concerned that when I get back to Thailand on the 23rd Feb, it's going to start all over again. 

I've made plans to go to the country and get out of the foul air but there's no guarantee it will be any better anywhere I go. 

One positive to come out of this is it has hit the world stage and the world is watching. BKK's economy has reportedly taken a 3 billion baht hit and it will get bigger as the tourists stay away. Maybe thats what needs to happen for this show boating government to take it seriously. 

I'd put money on the fact that this time next year we'll all be repeating ourselves as nothing will be done.

Do you think your less-than-average Joe farmer in and around BKK knows anything about the smog in the city? Do you think they know about the health implications, not just to their own families health but also on those who are far more precious, such as yourself? Let's not blame the farmers. Instead blame the big guys who buy the crop to feed their swine or large beverage companies who buy the sugar from the cane and then give the farmers no other way of getting rid of the stubble than to burn it. 

16 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Do you think your less-than-average Joe farmer in and around BKK knows anything about the smog in the city? Do you think they know about the health implications, not just to their own families health but also on those who are far more precious, such as yourself? Let's not blame the farmers. Instead blame the big guys who buy the crop to feed their swine or large beverage companies who buy the sugar from the cane and then give the farmers no other way of getting rid of the stubble than to burn it. 

Yes, they do know the hazards of burning. Thats why most of the garbage and crop burning is done at night.

This is not a problem that requires threats, it requires action regardless of how inconvenient it maybe to those with old smokey vehicles, although there are other factors contributing to the pollution.

In his rambling he seems to be blaming others and expects everyone else to own this problem.

"The PM also voiced his frustration with the ineffective efforts to tackle the air pollution problem in Bangkok, calling on all stakeholders to be more dedicated to pollution control efforts."

“Some people have picked the air-pollution issue to criticise the government, but the government insists that we have already implemented all necessary short-term mitigation measures such as spraying water to lower PM2.5 levels and distributing face masks. But people also have a duty to do their part.”

So your people under your instructions, are the ones who have been the most ineffective as the water spraying has no effect.

"so everyone needs to work together to tackle with these pollution factors and solve the problem at the root,” Prayut said."

Prayuth rambles while Prawit issues directives with threats are these two working together? Are they even aware of each others statements and actions on this?

Yes, it's easy to pick holes in their statements and thankfully my city doesn't have this problem. Many large cities around the world have faced this problem and put in effective measures to reduce or eliminate the problem, so there are answers out there.

Will the Thais look beyond their own borders for a solution, I hope so as if left unchecked the population will suffer serious health issues if they are not already.

If he's that concerned he can lead by example and cancel the military hardware and use a small portion of that money to replace all the smoke spewing buses in Bangkok with new, low emission models.

Yeah, didn't think so.

Archived