Water trap

krabi local

I have tried searching but can’t find anything that answers my question.

We have a second toilet in our house with washhand basin with a normal U bend and a drain outlet in the floor.

The drain outlet in the floor drops straight down into the main grey water pipe which runs from the other bathroom and shower.

There is no U bend or trap in this floor drain so you often get smells from the grey water when someone uses the main shower.

Any simple suggestions on how to cure this ? I don’t really want to dig up the bathroom floor to fit a U bend type trap.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Floor drains like this or square are sold everywhere - look for the inverted cup attached to cover - the edge is below a water line so smells can not enter room.  Only have to replace top part of drain so probably only take a few minutes for someone with hammer drill and a little cement.  

Image result for thailand floor drain

Floor drains like this or square are sold everywhere - look for the inverted cup attached to cover - the edge is below a water line so smells can not enter room.  Only have to replace top part of drain so probably only take a few minutes for someone with hammer drill and a little cement.  
ns000014-3.jpg&key=958d47a342d2a383ca6dfd3c2d42acea21f732caad770887b97021af4a2144d2

Here’s a clearer view of the floor drain.

IMG_1168.JPG

Check to see that the inverted cup part is not missing, also you have to keep it full of water or it becomes ineffective.

31 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Here’s a clearer view of the floor drain.

IMG_1168.JPG

Check to see that the inverted cup part is not missing, also you have to keep it full of water or it becomes ineffective.

That is a good example of principle but none that I have seen here are anywhere near as deep for water - so indeed if not a shower drain you need to make sure to add water every once in a while and they may require occasional cleaning as very little room for hair to escape. 

The other type of shower drain involves a spring loaded cup that is removable. It catches hair,soap and gunk before it blocks your drains.

The spring loaded part has a rubber seal.

However imho they are not very good and will fail every couple of years.They need cleaning out every few days...maybe its the soap thats the problem.

Cost nothing really 150bt, but check the spring mechanidms before you buy, some are much better than others

Find the shower drainpipe outside, as near to the house as possible and install a couple of 2"? 90deg elbows to make your own trap.

I had the same issue with smells from the two shower rooms and this fixed it for us.

Archived