Trump slams U.S. intelligence chiefs as 'passive and naive' on Iran

webfact

Trump slams U.S. intelligence chiefs as 'passive and naive' on Iran

By Doina Chiacu and Patricia Zengerle

2019-01-30T232453Z_3_LYNXNPEF0T186_RTROPTP_4_USA-SECURITY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: FBI Director Christopher Wray, CIA Director Gina Haspel, Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats, Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) Director Gen. Robert Ashley, National Security Agency (NSA) Director Gen. Paul Nakasone and Robert Cardillo, director of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, testify to the Senate Intelligence Committee hearing about "worldwide threats" on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., January 29, 2019. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Wednesday called U.S. intelligence chiefs "extremely passive and naive" on Iran and dismissed their assessments of the threat posed by North Korea a day after they contradicted his views during congressional testimony.

His comments drew criticism from some of his fellow Republicans in Congress, some of whom have introduced legislation that would counter Trump's policies on national security in an unusual break from their party's leader.

Leaders of the U.S. intelligence community told a Senate committee on Tuesday that the nuclear threat from North Korea persisted and Iran was not taking steps towards making a nuclear bomb, conclusions that contrasted starkly with Trump's assessments of those countries.

"The Intelligence people seem to be extremely passive and naive when it comes to the dangers of Iran. They are wrong!" Trump, who criticized U.S. intelligence agencies even before he took office, said in a Twitter post.

Trump cited Iranian rocket launches and said Tehran was "coming very close to the edge."

"Perhaps Intelligence should go back to school!" he said.

Trump last year pulled out of an international nuclear deal with Iran, saying Tehran was "not living up to the spirit" of the agreement, and reimposed sanctions. Under the 2015 deal, Iran agreed to restrictions on its nuclear activities in exchange for the lifting of sanctions.

The intelligence officials told the Senate Intelligence Committee that Iran was not developing nuclear weapons in violation of the agreement.

Their assessments also broke with other assertions by Trump, including on the threat posed by Russia to U.S. elections, the threat the Islamic State militant group poses in Syria, where he plans to withdraw U.S. troops, and North Korea's commitment to denuclearize.

"The President has a dangerous habit of undermining the intelligence community to fit his alternate reality," Senator Mark Warner, the Intelligence Committee's top Democrat, wrote on Twitter. "People risk their lives for the intelligence he just tosses aside on Twitter."

Republican U.S. Representative Mike Gallagher, who served as a Marine Corps intelligence officer during the Iraq war, defended the intelligence agencies, saying: "They are doing a very difficult job and they are actually trying to advance the president's priorities."

BILL TO REBUKE TRUMP?

Gallagher was one of a group of Republican and Democratic House of Representatives members who announced bills on Wednesday to set strict conditions before the United States could withdraw troops from Syria or the Korean Peninsula. The Democratic-led House overwhelming passed legislation last week reaffirming U.S. support for the NATO military alliance, another target of Trump criticism.

Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell introduced legislation on Tuesday urging U.S. troops to remain in Syria and Afghanistan.

A few Republicans also joined Democrats on Wednesday to reintroduce a war powers resolution, which passed the Senate but not the House in December in the face of Trump's opposition, seeking to end any U.S. involvement in Yemen's civil war.

John Thune, the No. 2 Republican in the Senate, said Trump should have trusted the intelligence leaders' judgment. "I don't know how many times you can say this but I prefer the president would stay off Twitter - particularly with regard to those important national security issues," Thune told CNN.

Trump has challenged U.S. intelligence agencies in the past, including casting doubt on their conclusion that Russia interfered in the 2016 U.S. election to help him win the presidency.

The CIA and the Director of National Intelligence office did not comment on Trump's remarks.

Trump has invested heavily in improving relations with North Korea in hopes of getting Pyongyang to abandon its nuclear ambitions. He broke with decades of U.S. policy when he agreed to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in June and plans another summit in February.

"North Korea relationship is best it has ever been with U.S. No testing, getting remains, hostages returned. Decent chance of Denuclearization," Trump said on Twitter.

"I look forward to seeing Kim Jong Un shortly. Progress being made-big difference!"

Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats and CIA Director Gina Haspel told senators that North Korea viewed its nuclear program as vital to its survival and was unlikely to give it up.

Trump also defended his decision to withdraw 2,000 U.S. troops from Syria on grounds that Islamic State no longer poses a threat, saying: "We've beaten them."

"Caliphate will soon be destroyed, unthinkable two years ago," Trump said on Twitter.

The U.S. intelligence chiefs said Islamic State would continue to pursue attacks from Syria and Iraq against regional and Western adversaries, including the United States.

(Reporting by Doina Chiacu and Patricia Zengerle, Additional reporting by Susan Heavey; Editing by Will Dunham and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-31

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone surprised?  Trump had been selling his "successes" regarding complex global issues to his braindead base for some time...and they've largely bought it.  Well his own administration basically came out and contradicted nearly every one of his talking points.  In other words, Trump lied.  Over and over again.  Lying to his minions....who cares.  But when his "alternate reality" has an impact on national security decisions, big problem. 

49 minutes ago, webfact said:

"The President has a dangerous habit of undermining the intelligence community to fit his alternate reality," Senator Mark Warner, the Intelligence Committee's top Democrat, wrote on Twitter.

Key words there being alternate reality. How it is possible for any person to know better then the intelligence agencies, precisely what is and isn't going on, is truly amazing. Rather than risking peoples lives to get information, maybe the intelligence agencies should sit back, chill out and get all they need to know simply by watching Fox news, Breitbart and other such conspiracy theory offerings. Most countries whose leader belittled everything such as Mr. Trump has been doing, would be removed from office as being mentally deranged.

It is quite something to watch this man create his own narrative, whenever it seems to fit his agenda. He actually believes he has the power to sway the universe, and create facts! 

Now, according to Trump, North Korea is no longer a threat, because he and Kim are in love, and Kim gave him some chocolates, and smiled at him. The threat assessments are not important. Satellite imagery is not important. And Iran is a HUUUUUGE threat, because he says so, even though the real experts, and those with real knowledge who actually read, say otherwise. And ISIS is nearly gone, because he says so. No matter what our trusted allies say, no matter what NATO says, no matter what our own experts and our own soldiers on the ground say. What he thinks and feels is of utmost important, and of course his image and his base of devotees too. Typically, in the past, presidents have relied on their national security experts, joint chiefs of staff, and others within the intelligence community for advice, expertise and wisdom. However, Trump does not need any of that, because as we all know, he is always the smartest man in the room, can just look into an adversaries eyes, and tell if they are a real threat, and has John Bolton as his primary source. That is enough to keep the world safe. 

19 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

No, he's just saying what he was told to say. Probably in that second meeting (nudge, wink).

That's not it.  Trump is about building his brand.  That's it, and that's all.  It's not about national security, or American prosperity, or even MAGA.  It's about Trump.  In order to build his brand, he needs wins.  They don't even have to be "real" wins, but something he can spin to his hardcore base (because frankly, they're the only ones stupid enough to believe him).  So he's been lying all along about ISIS, Iran, N. Korea, the wall, etc., because he needs those wins.  As for Russia...well, Putin has him by the balls.  Mueller will tell us soon.

Yes, Trump is wrong to publicly cast doubt over  the intelligence agencies, but he isn't necessarily wrong on their abilities. I find it rather shocking that the very same people who were once condemning the  foreign policy excesses of the USA, are now defending the  "experts" who made those excesses possible and who facilitated past wrong doings.

I suggests all those who are arguing against the Trump position on the  assumption that the intelligence agencies are right, step back and consider some of the very  serious  blunders of those agencies. Let's refresh your memory;

1. 9-11 - Every US intelligence agency failed to act or to speak up to prevent this incident. They  were asleep on the job and it cost the USA. They did the same thing prior to Pearl Harbor.

2. Iraq WMD debacle: It was these very same agencies who insisted that  Iraq had nuclear capability. Although there were  biological toxins, chemical weapons, yellow cake uranium and missiles upon which to deliver  nuclear weapons, there were no nuclear warheads. These agencies insisted that there were.

3. The Iranian Revolution of 1979: These agencies completely miscalled and badly managed the  Iranian revolution despite Israeli and British intelligence service warnings.

4. Syrian's civil war and the use of chemical weapons: They bungled the file

They also were caught unaware by the deployment of  Russian personnel and assets.

5. Russia - Turkey reconciliation: Missed the call on this very important change in international dynamics.

6. Iranian-Hizbollah activities in Lebanon:  Almost always late in  learning of activities. Hizbollah is a major ally of Syria, and an Iranian proxy army. they have clashed multiple times with  Kurds, who  have been unable to rely on the USA for warnings of attack.

I get it: It's fun to bash Trump. I don't like the guy either, but believe it or not, he has a point on Iran.

3 hours ago, Tug said:

Is he really that stupid?or is he having another tantrum because all the intelligence agency’s disagree with him?

either you are with me or against me....to be with me means you will have to agree to all my stupid moves/comments or you are FIRED

13 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Yes, Trump is wrong to publicly cast doubt over  the intelligence agencies, but he isn't necessarily wrong on their abilities. I find it rather shocking that the very same people who were once condemning the  foreign policy excesses of the USA, are now defending the  "experts" who made those excesses possible and who facilitated past wrong doings.

I suggests all those who are arguing against the Trump position on the  assumption that the intelligence agencies are right, step back and consider some of the very  serious  blunders of those agencies. Let's refresh your memory;

1. 9-11 - Every US intelligence agency failed to act or to speak up to prevent this incident. They  were asleep on the job and it cost the USA. They did the same thing prior to Pearl Harbor.

2. Iraq WMD debacle: It was these very same agencies who insisted that  Iraq had nuclear capability. Although there were  biological toxins, chemical weapons, yellow cake uranium and missiles upon which to deliver  nuclear weapons, there were no nuclear warheads. These agencies insisted that there were.

3. The Iranian Revolution of 1979: These agencies completely miscalled and badly managed the  Iranian revolution despite Israeli and British intelligence service warnings.

They also were caught unaware by the deployment of  Russian personnel and assets.

5. Russia - Turkey reconciliation: Missed the call on this very important change in international dynamics.

6. Iranian-Hizbollah activities in Lebanon:  Almost always late in  learning of activities. Hizbollah is a major ally of Syria, and an Iranian proxy army. they have clashed multiple times with  Kurds, who  have been unable to rely on the USA for warnings of attack.

I get it: It's fun to bash Trump. I don't like the guy either, but believe it or not, he has a point on Iran.

So Trump knows best. None of what you're saying gives any indication Trump is right. It does prove the agencies are not always correct.

The only reason you're here saying this is because he is against Iran.

I thought an (intelligent) president was not supposed to rely on his special services/secret services feed back information and not badmouthing them, after all they are the ones out in the field collecting and analyzing the intel....

1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Because I am a trained intelligence analyst? No. Because I have the ability to think critically.

What you're implying is that these career intelligence and law enforcement officials don't have the ability to think critically.  And that only you and Trump can.  This is, of course, asinine. 

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Seems to me judging from other past occurrences (Iranian =Contra),that the USA intel (CIA)have worked behind the scenes contrary to the public policy enacted by previous administrations . One again those "sources and methods" rear their non transparent head! Who actually knows what goes on behind the scenes! Safe to say they, (USA) haven't trusted the Iranian clerics since the Shah was forced to leave .

"With President Trump’s cancellation of the nuclear deal, sanctions against Iran will once again be instituted, as they have been for every crisis since 1979". 

https://www.history.com/news/iran-nuclear-deal-sanctions-facts-hostage-crisis

"Perhaps Intelligence should go back to school!" he said

Rumor has it Trump went to school, but the depth and breadth of his ignorance on even basic knowledge is astounding. Him going back to school would be a waste of seat space. Typical problem with narcissists: they are convinced they know more about everything than anyone.

"1. 9-11 - Every US intelligence agency failed to act or to speak up to prevent this incident. They  were asleep on the job and it cost the USA. They did the same thing prior to Pearl Harbor."

When Clinton left, he told Bush #1 thing to look out for is terrorism & Al Q. Bush pushed national security to back burner, Rice was pushing for better missile shield. Read Richard Clark's book "Against All Enemies" to get inside look at how abysmal Bush admin was regarding terror threats.

Head of CIA fudged report at direction of Bush. Used drunk in Germany to justify invasion, "unreliable" per German security. All the rest of that has varying levels of horse poop.

Obama blew the Syrian line in the sand, not the CIA.

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

You miss the point , its not about accuracy or being professional , its only about Trump's fragile ego.

Regardless of the facts , agree with him and you are wonderful , disagree and you are dirt.

What a way to lead a nation , the damage will be felt for decades.

He knows where this is going, he knows because he was there when it happen, and he knows that they know,

So what is the defence?

Discredit the institutions that will get you there.

The intelligence collecting agencies are"stupid" the institutions that will report the collected intelligence are  "Fake"  the institutions that will enforce the laws concerning the collected intelligence are "partisan

Lucky for as. only 38% of as are "stupid" and don't know what is fake and what is real. In fact I suspect of these 38% a significant portion knows, but are in denial still going through the process of grieving the loss of the messiah that would have made America "Great again" for them.

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Do yourself a favor and read. The money was theirs. How can a person like you honestly think people like Info Wars has a smidgen of truth is beyond me.

8 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Do yourself a favor and read. The money was theirs. How can a person like you honestly think people like Info Wars has a smidgen of truth is beyond me.

Was it the Shah's money that came from his government rule or was it the Clerics money that over threw him!

https://www.history.com/news/iran-nuclear-deal-sanctions-facts-hostage-crisis

7 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I can only believe he is mentally ill. He never fails to find a way to take the opposing view if anyone with credibility challenge his GUT.

Nobody ever would have believed we would possibly see the most powerful country on earth run by an intellectually inferior con man's gut feelings.

Others spend their lives studying, reading, practicing in their expertise, gaining years of experience garnered over a lifetime of hard work in their disciplines to become the unmatched, foremost experts in their fields.

Trump, never having picked up a book or even watched any TV channel other than Fox News, points at the sky like a dotard and declares "nobody knows more about drones than I do."

umdorny6fb821.jpg

Has anyone considered this is not what it seems? Comments about the mueller investigation nearing a conclusion and the fact that intelligence agency information will more than likely form a key part of determining conspiracy between marmalade man and Russia, would mean that discrediting (once again) those agencies will allow his wonderful, intelligent, discerning, critical thinking base (I was threatened by an admin for referring to them for what they really are - super sensitive type and probable trump supporter that he may well be) to remain ever believing in the nonsense sprouted. 

As a brit our so called security men were up to our neck with the yanks which lead to Iraq and what has lead to a million dead, Europe drowning in child raping and murdering muslims. Europe has been changed forever on a LIE by the people Trump is not trusting. Perhaps someone can tell me one good thing which has come out of the middle east wars of the last 20 years. Unless you make bombs or tanks I cant see any.

As far as Iran being a centre for terror :-

On Monday, Berlin announced a complete ban against Mahan Air, a “civilian” airline that doubles as an adjunct to the Iranian regime’s nefarious activities across the Middle East. The decision came, reportedly, after months of US efforts to persuade the Germans that Mahan is no ordinary carrier.

As the US ambassador to Germany, Richard Grenell, told me in an email, “Mahan Air has flown terrorists, weapons, equipment and funds to international locations to support Iranian terrorist proxy groups,” including Syria’s murderous Assad regime. He thanked Germany for imposing the ban.

Denying American pressure, German government spokesman Steffen Seibert told Reuters: “It cannot be ruled out that this airline could also transport cargo to Germany that threatens our security. This is based on knowledge of past terrorist activities by Iran in Europe.”

Archived