Trump slams U.S. intelligence chiefs as 'passive and naive' on Iran

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This TIME article about Presidential intelligence briefings should concern everyone.  It's not surprising, but concerning nevertheless.  For the national security of the USA, Trump needs to go much sooner than later....

[Citing multiple in-person episodes, these intelligence officials say Trump displays what one called “willful ignorance” when presented with analyses generated by America’s $81 billion-a-year intelligence services. The officials, who include analysts who prepare Trump’s briefs and the briefers themselves, describe futile attempts to keep his attention by using visual aids, confining some briefing points to two or three sentences, and repeating his name and title as frequently as possible.] 

[What is most troubling, say these officials and others in government and on Capitol Hill who have been briefed on the episodes, are Trump’s angry reactions when he is given information that contradicts positions he has taken or beliefs he holds.]

[After Trump’s summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un last summer, the North claimed to have destroyed its major underground nuclear testing facility at Punggye-ri, and Trump has gone out of his way to credit the claim.  ....the president has ignored the agencies’ warnings and has exaggerated the steps North Korea has taken to shutter the facility, those officials and two others say.]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/willful-ignorance-inside-president-trumps-troubled-intelligence-briefings/ar-BBT5fwC?ocid=wispr

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

This TIME article about Presidential intelligence briefings should concern everyone.  It's not surprising, but concerning nevertheless.  For the national security of the USA, Trump needs to go much sooner than later....

[Citing multiple in-person episodes, these intelligence officials say Trump displays what one called “willful ignorance” when presented with analyses generated by America’s $81 billion-a-year intelligence services. The officials, who include analysts who prepare Trump’s briefs and the briefers themselves, describe futile attempts to keep his attention by using visual aids, confining some briefing points to two or three sentences, and repeating his name and title as frequently as possible.] 

[What is most troubling, say these officials and others in government and on Capitol Hill who have been briefed on the episodes, are Trump’s angry reactions when he is given information that contradicts positions he has taken or beliefs he holds.]

[After Trump’s summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un last summer, the North claimed to have destroyed its major underground nuclear testing facility at Punggye-ri, and Trump has gone out of his way to credit the claim.  ....the president has ignored the agencies’ warnings and has exaggerated the steps North Korea has taken to shutter the facility, those officials and two others say.]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/willful-ignorance-inside-president-trumps-troubled-intelligence-briefings/ar-BBT5fwC?ocid=wispr

Given Time's politics, I treat anything they say about Trump with scepticism. Many media companies spend a great deal of time denigrating Trump because it apparently sells them. However, they are often times proven wrong or just making stuff up.

For example I refer all to the Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/26/melania-trump-apology/

Following last Saturday’s (Jan 19) Telegraph magazine cover story “The mystery of Melania”, we have been asked to make clear that the article contained a number of false statements which we accept should not have been published.

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given Time's politics, I treat anything they say about Trump with scepticism. Many media companies spend a great deal of time denigrating Trump because it apparently sells them. However, they are often times proven wrong or just making stuff up.

I realize that Trump supporters will largely ignore all media pieces that do not frame Trump in a positive light.  I get that.  But you should realize that the majority of Americans are not hardcore Trump minions and DO read articles such as this.  This article is part of the reason why so many Americans despise Trump and/or believe him to be woefully unqualified for the job. 

So if TIME is the "enemy," which media outlet do you trust for news?   

10 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I realize that Trump supporters will largely ignore all media pieces that do not frame Trump in a positive light.  I get that.  But you should realize that the majority of Americans are not hardcore Trump minions and DO read articles such as this.  This article is part of the reason why so many Americans despise Trump and/or believe him to be woefully unqualified for the job. 

So if TIME is the "enemy," which media outlet do you trust for news?   

I don't trust any of them. I had an article written about me published in a major newspaper, and if the article hadn't referred to me by name I would not have known it was about me. That was 40 years ago, and I've never forgotten it.

If I'm actually interested in something, I'll check on a number of sources so I can get an idea of what is really going on.

I don't know why posters on your side of the fence continue to paint all Trump "supporters" with the same brush. Just as with his opponents, there are people with all sorts of views about him. As I said before, I only supported him because the alternative was so very, very awful that anyone was better, IMO. Since he was elected, he has pretty much stuck with what he campaigned on, so I have no major problem with him so far. He certainly hasn't caused me or my country any significant problems that I know of.

On 2/4/2019 at 11:11 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I only supported him because the alternative was so very, very awful that anyone was better, IMO. Since he was elected, he has pretty much stuck with what he campaigned on, so I have no major problem with him so far.

Please explain how you determine that he has, "pretty much stuck with what he campaigned on", since he has come out on EVERY side of EVERY issue he has verbalized, during and since the election?

Just now, mrwebb8825 said:

What are you on about? The issue is whether Iran has nuclear capability or is developing it. What do the links you've cited have to do with that? 

On 2/6/2019 at 1:41 PM, bristolboy said:

What are you on about? The issue is whether Iran has nuclear capability or is developing it. What do the links you've cited have to do with that? 

The "Issue" was whether or not Iran is a threat and breaking the treaty which the president said they are and the "Intelligence" agencies said they're not. They gave that briefing to congress a week before Iran unvailed it's newest, nuclear capable, long range missles capable of hitting US military targets in the area.

1 hour ago, mrwebb8825 said:

The "Issue" was whether or not Iran is a threat and breaking the treaty which the president said they are and the "Intelligence" agencies said they're not. They gave that briefing to congress a week before Iran unvailed it's newest, nuclear capable, long range missles capable of hitting US military targets in the area.

As I recall the Iranian nuclear treaty did not address missile development.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-33521655

I understand the missile development issue was created by Trump as one excuse to unilaterally pull out of deal against the recommendations of Mattis and others. e.g...

Mattis has said in the past that the deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, isn’t perfect, but that staying in it would be in America's national security interest.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/385094-mattis-defends-iran-deal-as-trump-considers-withdrawal

In any case it has been agreed by relevant parties that Iran has ceased its nuclear development program; so far no info on missile deliverable nuclear weapon/s or any other.

Either way, Trump's unilateral withdrawal from the treaty was another demonstration of his lack of strategic nouse.

Archived