Smog crisis: Bangkok 9th worst in world but Chiang Mai not far behind

webfact

Smog crisis: Bangkok 9th worst in world but Chiang Mai not far behind

4pm.jpg

Sanook reported that an online pollution index placed Bangkok in ninth position in the world. 

But Chiang Mai fared little better - the northern Thai city was also in the red zone in 14th place. 

The readings related to the prevalence of 2.5 PM matter and were expressed in micrograms per cubic meter.

Bangkok rated 166 and Chiang Mai 152 on the airvisual.com scale at 2.30 pm on Wednesday. 

In the purple danger zone were the top three - Mumbai, Kolkata and Delhi, all in India. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-31

I'm surprised Beijing isnt in the top there... During my travels there there was a thick grey 'fog' in the city.

But then again, if you go to 10 diffrent websites about PM2.5 levels, you will have 10 diffrent top 20's. India is always high up there though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

Yeah just go outside and take a look at the gorgeous view of the moutains. Amazing, you can see them. To those of you who piss and moan about the smoke here up and opt for Bangkok and see how it takes you to return to beautiful Chiang Mai.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You don’t see the harmful particles. PM 2.5 and PM 10 are not visible to the eye, just as we can’t see bacteria.

Visible smoke and haze are not PM 2.5 and PM 10 particles.

So you can clearly see the mountains while breathing in incredibly harmful air.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

Must try harder if they want to be the world's hub of pollution............

At the rate they are going and the total lack of law enforcement in Thailand, I have no doubt you’ll see India levels of pollution here in the future.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dcnx said:

So you can clearly see the mountains while breathing in incredibly harmful air.

So why are all the pics i the news from Bangkok showing smoke, smog etc. ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Must try harder if they want to be the world's hub of pollution............

Funny isn't it:  for years Chiang Mai has had 3 months of pollution, and no one wants to do anything.  Now BKK has the same problem and everyone is complaining.

Chinese cities had the same problem, but fixed it mainly by banning diesel.   All trucks, buses, pickups must run on LNG.  No excuses.  99% of motorbikes are electric.  No smoking tuk-tuks

You either do something or just keep moaning.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, masuk said:

Chinese cities had the same problem, but fixed it mainly by banning diesel.   

Yeah, nothing to do with burning coal, nothing at all.. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/10/world/asia/china-coal-smog-pollution.html

Smog has become a whining feast for those who don't own a car, it seems. Well blast away but don't inhale (the results of the Cambodian field fires). 

13 hours ago, dcnx said:

I think you'll find that the haze/smog is in part composed of particulate matter along with other nasties like nitrogen dioxide. The same applies to bacteria which you say we can't see. True you can't see one with the naked eye but ......

images (9).jpg

48 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I think you'll find that the haze/smog is in part composed of particulate matter along with other nasties like nitrogen dioxide. The same applies to bacteria which you say we can't see. True you can't see one with the naked eye but ......

images (9).jpg

Yes, you’re absolutely right. It’s all nasty stuff, with the most harmful being the smallest particles that we generally don’t see.