Xiomi Air purifier 2s

robblok

I ordered a unit a few weeks ago on lazada the seller should have delivered more then a week ago (said he had stock). Anyway nobody had stock and now finally it came today. I am amazed at it, it started with 100 (that is inside a house in Nothaburi) and now down to 39 and dropping. Planning to take it to the bedroom at night. Ever since I came to Thailand I had problems with my sinuses, hoping that this will help for that too.

But what I found amazing was how high the starting levels were in a closed house running an aircon. Of course I am not sure how accurate the readings are and if the machine inflates the start point ect. But it got good reviews and hopefully help a bit on the long run.

I wonder if there are others who use the same machine. 

• Like 1

Be a bit cautious of those readings - there's several reviews on line where people have questioned the readings.  One reviewer even sealed the filters with plastic and it still showed a miraculous improvement in air quality. 

A Chinese device that uses it's own sensor to tell you how wonderful it is working - perhaps needs some interpretation.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/xiaomi-particle-counter-inaccurate-not-control-purifier/

Edited by Kinnock

Looking forward to hear how it works for you.  You and I have talked about our sinus issues before so anything that is helpful, I’m all ears.

I use an Austin Healthmate Jr.  back in Los Angeles and find it really helps.  Just got back to BKK last Sunday and I can hardly sleep at night due to the congestion.  I can’t find an Austin for sale on Lazada and if I want it shipped by Amazon it will cost an extra @$250 on top of the $400 price.

The next step for me is a trip to India to get An Alaxolito Nasal Stent. (Not yet approved by the Thai FDA)

http://www.alaxo.com/alaxolito_eng.html

Prices on lazada went up as demand increased. Ignore all those -20% or whatever sale they suggest. They simply bump up the base price.

If you need one, refresh Lazada frequently, and jump. I saw a store get in stock and sell out 15 mins later.

The levels it shows matches my Sndway monitor.

One on full power can really clean up two rooms in 30 minutes.

I leave it on full power. Auto allows the level to go up to 30%.

You need the android app to set power level.

I’ve had a few of these units going on three years (I never paid more than 5,000 baht for them - so there is a bit of price gouging )...

They work great and I really like the monitor and programmability... I have them thruout the house...

That being said there are a couple shortcomings that can be easily overcome...

The first is the Auto Mode is not really useful... Its algorithm is designed for a high pollution environment... It will basically shut itself down (low fan) when it senses the PM drop below 30 (which in Beijing may be acceptable) but not for us...

Second is the Manual Mode if set above ~50% fan speed will revert to Auto Mode after 3 hour - basically shutting itself off... My guess this is to reduce motor wear and filter usage... 

So these factors limit the out of the box unit to cleaning to 30PM...

But you can easily work around this problem by setting up a timer setting to reset the unit prevent the 3 hour mode change from Manual to Auto... Just add automation rules that turns the unit off & on every 2.5 hours and the purifier will stay in manual mode for the whole programmed time... 

My units all bring the PM level down to single digit and maintain that level throughout the timed program...

Here is my setting for the unit I have in the main lounge...

E3298F5E-5484-4BFA-B3AC-E022FDAF3709.jpeg

A18D7902-D054-4A10-A45C-A2453BF8D6F5.jpeg

Edited by sfokevin
  • Thanks 1

I think it works good, and yes it uses its own sensor but after having used it for a while I am sure it works correct. I had someone smoke in the room see the PM go up and then down when it took care of it. So I think the readings are good. Also when I open the door up readings go up close the door readings go down again. 

So I do believe readings are indicative. I can't say if it helps for my sinusses I think that takes longer it took me 2-3 weeks in the south to see improvement. So I doubt it will happen fast here.

I paid about 6000 bt for it.

On 1/31/2019 at 5:15 PM, Kinnock said:

Be a bit cautious of those readings - there's several reviews on line where people have questioned the readings.  One reviewer even sealed the filters with plastic and it still showed a miraculous improvement in air quality. 

A Chinese device that uses it's own sensor to tell you how wonderful it is working - perhaps needs some interpretation.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/xiaomi-particle-counter-inaccurate-not-control-purifier/

I think it works, I open the door readings go up, close the door readings go down. I had someone smoke in the house.. readings go up. I move it to an other room readings go up. So I would say yes it works. I see no reason why they would lie this is an easy machine just sucking air through a filter not like they need to be fraudulent like the European and American car manufacturers. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2019 at 6:40 PM, JayBird said:

Prices on lazada went up as demand increased. Ignore all those -20% or whatever sale they suggest. They simply bump up the base price.

If you need one, refresh Lazada frequently, and jump. I saw a store get in stock and sell out 15 mins later.

The levels it shows matches my Sndway monitor.

One on full power can really clean up two rooms in 30 minutes.

I leave it on full power. Auto allows the level to go up to 30%.

You need the android app to set power level.

I did not know you could look at lazada if a shop had stock or not. I thought you had to manually browse.

On 1/31/2019 at 5:29 PM, Airalee said:

Looking forward to hear how it works for you.  You and I have talked about our sinus issues before so anything that is helpful, I’m all ears.

What I've used for my sinus problems here, to great success, is the following product:

649374129_2019-02-0621_10_20.jpg.30b77c7389ae3255d5b233904f31a628.jpg

It's basically just a large syringe with removable rubbery tip that fits/fills your nostril space to create a seal, and thus allow you to use the syringe to flush a saline solution in one side of your nostril and then out the other side. You want to use sterilized (boiled and cooled water) or some other similar source. (We use pre-filtered water that's then boiled in an electric water boiler, poured out, cooled and then stored in a litre bottle.)  And you want to use non-iodine salt. I use about 1-1/2 cups of water and 1 tsp or so of salt.

But the good part is, while the syringe in the commercial product will wear out after a few months, the syringe itself is basically identical to the same generic medical syringe you can buy in any well stocked pharmacy here, and they're cheap, just 25 baht or so apiece. So when the original syringe wears out, just remove the rubber tip, place it onto the new syringe, and you're ready to go.

1514339761_2019-02-0621_04_10.jpg.b65809bb217a49cc88495a2a7fceefcd.jpg

I've found a twice daily regimen of this has really made a big difference and improvement in my sinus issues.

In the past, I've tried other similar approaches, but none of them worked as well. There are plastic squeeze bottles out there that work similarly, but I always had a hard time getting a good, steady even pressure from them. Likewise, I have an electric Water Pik unit with a special sinus tip, but that tended to push too much pressure into my sinuses and get the water into my ears (eustacian tubes).  With the syringe, because you're controlling the "push" with you hand and fingers, it's very responsive and easy to maintain a good and steady flow of the sinus solution -- not too hard, not too soft.

Give it a try!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

I think the 2S is generally a good unit, especially when used as SFOKevin advises above to avoid some of the operational shortcomings of the unit.

But for the uninitiated, there are a couple of other things to be careful of, when shopping and buying:

--In the Xiaomi product line, there was an original "2" model, and then a later 2S model. They're not the same, and the later 2S model supposedly has different technology and built-in sensor that works better than its predecessor. So if buying, make sure you're getting the 2S model, not a regular 2.

--Because this unit is made in and intended for the Chinese market, you have to be careful about any AQI readings it may produce or operate based on, because the Chinese have their own AQI scale that's different from both the widely accepted U.S. EPA AQI scale and the Thailand-only AQI scale.  However, any readings it produces of PM2.5 in MICROGRAMS (ug) should be accurate and fine.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

As per my post above, I believe that review and testing is of the original 2 unit, not the subsequent 2S.

• Like 1

They are quite a few offical Xiomi stores in BKK, any one know if they have stock of these, or are they sold out?

I went to 5 stores in bkk a few times, pantip and mbk have a demo unit not for sale, the small store in mbk has a reservation list for 100 units arriving on 14th for 3000 baht deposit, Bangkae store has 150+ on its list and they think mine should arrive on 20th, Seacon says arriving 5th March, they didn’t say they have a queue or not. I didn’t try the other 2 stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I think it works, I open the door readings go up, close the door readings go down. I had someone smoke in the house.. readings go up. I move it to an other room readings go up. So I would say yes it works. I see no reason why they would lie this is an easy machine just sucking air through a filter not like they need to be fraudulent like the European and American car manufacturers. 

That sounds encouraging, think I'll see if I can find a '2S' model, but I think many dealers are now out of stock.

10 hours ago, Kinnock said:

That sounds encouraging, think I'll see if I can find a '2S' model, but I think many dealers are now out of stock.

Yes that is the problem, it took a while before i got mine, even worse the seller said he had stock but had no stock. So I had to wait a bit. I can't really comment on how healthy it is compared to not having it. I do have sinus problems (ever since i moved to Thailand always one side blocked).

I had those sinus problems go away after a few weeks on an island in the south of Thailand (Ko Lipe). So maybe this will help me. Its not the reason why i bought it. I found the smog alarming. But honestly not sure if there are true health risks. I do feel better with it.

I do believe the machine works, however I don't know how accurate it is but I do know it responds to smoke, responds to my front door (sliding door) being open as more pollution then gets in. Moving it to other rooms also sees a different reading. (does take a minute or so to change).

So the machine is measuring PM2.5 and if its not correct so be it but you can see differences so if it not accurate its not accurate all over the board. Its not that the results are fake. I was actually a bit shocked about smoking. I had not expected that to have such a huge impact. It went up over 100 easy from 20-30. But it was gone quite fast after smoking was quit.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

The main point is does it work and do you feel a positive effect using it, it would seem it does and you do, which is good news and shows you made a good choice with that model.

Charlie,

I would not go as far as saying i feel different. But i think the time that I have been using it is too short. I can't say that I ever had a problem with the smog but that does not mean there is no problem. My sinuses have always been a problem here in Thailand and only seem to clear up a bit when I am in the south. 

But even that took 2-3 weeks to really notice a difference, the machine is working for a week or so. I know that it is working and I know I got les PM2.5 in the room but I don't know how it is affecting health. But on the other hand PM2.5 is a silent killer if it kills you so its not as if you notice your body changing. 

I do feel better in my mind that I am no longer exposed to high levels of the stuff but that is not the same as knowing it is working for real.

• Like 1

I have an air monitor that measures PM 2.5, HCHO (formaldehyde),  TVOC (total volatile organic compounds and also humidity. When I measure the air in my bedroom where I have my Hepa filter air purifier located, the PM 2.5 reading goes down to 4 or 5 but the HCHO and TVOC readings go up. The hepa filter just traps small particles but not these other compounds/molecules.

So I think that shutting off rooms and running a/c and air purifiers will lead to the accumulation of formaldehyde and volatile compounds which can also be harmful to health.

The solution may be to properly air all rooms once a day and then switch on the air purifiers to clean the small particles.

Any thoughts?

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I have an air monitor that measures PM 2.5, HCHO (formaldehyde),  TVOC (total volatile organic compounds and also humidity. When I measure the air in my bedroom where I have my Hepa filter air purifier located, the PM 2.5 reading goes down to 4 or 5 but the HCHO and TVOC readings go up. The hepa filter just traps small particles but not these other compounds/molecules.

So I think that shutting off rooms and running a/c and air purifiers will lead to the accumulation of formaldehyde and volatile compounds which can also be harmful to health.

The solution may be to properly air all rooms once a day and then switch on the air purifiers to clean the small particles.

Any thoughts?

Yes, seems logical to me.  If you live in an airtight box, the filter will only help with dust particles and other pollutants will rise.  But the health risk from pm 2.5 may outweigh those from indoor pollutants.

I live in an old wooden house with teak floors, so indoor pollutants may not be a significant issue, but sealing the house is not practical, so perhaps I should not worry about pm 2.5, as I don't want to sleep in a mask ????

43 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Any thoughts?

From what I understand, the issue you're raising depends in part on what kind of pre-filters your HEPA purifier may have.... I agree, the HEPA filter alone doesn't deal with VOCs, AFAIK.

There are some kinds of carbon pre-filter material that's coated with agents that are supposed to absorb VOCs out of the air, apart from the PM2.5 filtering that the HEPA filter does.

And of course, the presence of VOCs depends a lot on the particular location, construction materials used, age, etc etc....

If I was worried about that issue, I'd look to add a suitable carbon prefilter meant to deal with VOCs.

1034859704_2019-02-0715_26_54.jpg.371ae2ae5e950e0d08c947bd6c2f68df.jpg

This Genuine Honeywell Filter is extremely efficient in capturing particular household gases such as ammonia and the gases from cleaning products, paint and furnishings.

I bought a 2s last night, paid more than the shops but with a 30 minute delivery I am happy.

I opened the door for 5 hours to let in the "fresh air" and mosquitos which took the reading from 10 to 27, I have just closed the door and put it on Auto for an hour, it is now at 20. 70sqm apartment with all internal doors open. I don't think I'll worry too much about opening the doors and windows, I was expecting a higher reading.
I will now try to get it a bit lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

20 minutes ago, fishism said:

I bought a 2s last night, paid more than the shops but with a 30 minute delivery I am happy.

I opened the door for 5 hours to let in the "fresh air" and mosquitos which took the reading from 10 to 27, I have just closed the door and put it on Auto for an hour, it is now at 20. 70sqm apartment with all internal doors open. I don't think I'll worry too much about opening the doors and windows, I was expecting a higher reading.
I will now try to get it a bit lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The general advice when using HEPA air purifiers is simply to keep the room(s) sealed, and let the purifier do its work -- not do cycles of opening doors and windows and then closing them to run the purifier.

The general advice when using HEPA air purifiers is simply to keep the room(s) sealed, and let the purifier do its work -- not do cycles of opening doors and windows and then closing them to run the purifier.

I am just doing some tests to find out how quickly the air becomes 'pure' again, I cannot control who opens the doors and how long they stay open for.

That one isn't Xiaomi branded and probably doesn't have the RFID chip and therefore might not work, I have one from the store but not opened it yet, note sure what formaldehyde is.