Pollution may be a game changer...

mikey88

32 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So how will worrying about it benefit you?

As I understand it, stress is a major killer as well.

Hey, no one ever said worrying about it would be a benefit so I don't know where you came up with that one.  But you're probably right that a lot of people get stressed out when they know they are inhaling toxic air that can cause serious health problems. 

Add the stress to the already unhealthy situation and you've just made one more argument why people should get out of CM while they can.  Thanks for inadvertently reinforcing my position.

3 hours ago, mrmillersr said:

Hey, no one ever said worrying about it would be a benefit so I don't know where you came up with that one.  But you're probably right that a lot of people get stressed out when they know they are inhaling toxic air that can cause serious health problems. 

Add the stress to the already unhealthy situation and you've just made one more argument why people should get out of CM while they can.  Thanks for inadvertently reinforcing my position.

So where are you now?

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  Yet every year people post the same complaints... and stay in Chiang Mai.

If you don't like it here, go somewhere else.  You aren't going to change anything by bitching and moaning here in ThaiVisa.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:31 PM, cheeryble said:

Grandma's 90.

She works vigorously in the garden every day does her own laundry and cooking etc etc

We had to stop her climbing trees.

Not only has she lived a lifetime here smoke and all, she used to smoke those big home made ciggies.

And Keith Richards is still alive at 75!

Granted, he has been 75 for 30 years already, but yet he is proof that heroin is not so bad after all... 

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  Yet every year people post the same complaints... and stay in Chiang Mai.

If you don't like it here, go somewhere else.  You aren't going to change anything by bitching and moaning here in ThaiVisa.

We get this kind of post every year over and over again. 

Air pollution is not relative but absolute....you have it or you don’t....

it it is not a question of its better than China or I think it was worse last year or granny lived to 90 and she smoked....

air pollution is a principle issue not one of style and go with the flow...

it is unacceptable...no negotiating

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

Air pollution is not relative but absolute....you have it or you don’t....

it it is not a question of its better than China or I think it was worse last year or granny lived to 90 and she smoked....

air pollution is a principle issue not one of style and go with the flow...

it is unacceptable...no negotiating

Good!  I like that attitude! Now... if you are not going to negotiate, just what are you going to do about it?

Absolutely nothing - gov incompetent to solve a issue of this magnitude....

Now four months in Bend Oregon - pristine air an outdoor recreational heaven 300 days of sunshine a year becoming pricey due to Californians relocating...

can’t get family to move as it would be a no brainer....can absorb costs which unfortunately most ex-pats would struggle in desirable locations...

when the kid gets ready to go college, that’s also a no brainer - go west young lady and the family will surely follow...

how’s that for a plan.....

On 1/31/2019 at 11:03 AM, mikey88 said:

’m starting the conversation with my apartment building owner.

Just so she’s knows it’s an issue that probably is going to hurt her business.

I am sure she will be more conscious of all market factors and supply an demand... it sure sounds more like a price negotiation than concern for her business... a business which she surely knows more about than any of her tenants... but sure, explain to her how poor she will be in the future... especially over an issue that has not effected her in the past and there is nothing she can do about anyway, as rents rise year after year... she will be amused at your concerns... 

No doubt something has to be done. Anything. This is an emergency, and people are getting sick, and dying right now from lung disease and respiratory ailments. But, no need to worry anymore. The PM has vowed action! OK, let me try to make an attempt to interpret his statements. I believe what he is saying is:

I will pray for the pollution to disappear, in much the same way I prayed for the recent typhoon to weaken, which as you all know, it did, due to my efforts. I have a personal connection, and can use my tremendous power and focus, to attract the attention of the elements. I hold sway over the land, the sea, and the air, so when I ask, it gets done. This is real, people, and all the people of Thailand must believe this. They must know who they are dealing with. I am no ordinary man. I make things happen. I have no limits. I am all powerful. Besides, when the population becomes aware of my powers, they might have more of an inclination to vote me back in!

On 1/31/2019 at 1:18 PM, canthai55 said:

One country can do nothing by itself. It needs a global combined effort.

Happen in my lifetime ? NO. In my childrens ? NO

In their children ? What children !!!

Exactly is it a global world wide issue what one does affects the other. People are to concerned with borders and affected areas like air does not travel 

On 1/31/2019 at 1:52 PM, elektrified said:

I was out for a while earlier today and the air had a chemical/smoke-like stench to it that made me feel a little nauseous. I can't recall the air being this bad in January since I have been here.

I decided it was time to stock-up on some N95 masks. So I went out looking to buy some. Sold out everywhere!

Bangkok schools closed yesterday at noon. Students were told not to return until next week. The air was too dangerous.

My local pharmacy has them. Plus vendors on Silom are selling them.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:31 PM, cheeryble said:

Grandma's 90.

She works vigorously in the garden every day does her own laundry and cooking etc etc

We had to stop her climbing trees.

Not only has she lived a lifetime here smoke and all, she used to smoke those big home made ciggies.

Smoking cousin not so lucky, died of a stroke at 29.

(Sample size of one, only slightly better than pure belief...)

32 minutes ago, mserror said:

Smoking cousin not so lucky, died of a stroke at 29.

(Sample size of one, only slightly better than pure belief...)

No one believes that air pollution or smoking is good for people. I quit smoking almost 30 years ago, but I'm not ready to quit breathing, and I certainly do not want to get worked up about something I can do nothing about. 

On 2/1/2019 at 2:15 PM, Berkshire said:

Cool map.  Does it change much day-to-day?  It would appear that places to avoid are east China, India, Middle East, and North Africa.  I have no problem with that.

Yes it is ever changing - constantly updated. Hard to notice the changes as it is a small scale and the prevailing winds seem to change character but overall are fairly consistent so to the untrained eye, like mine, it looks similar without really looking in a methodical way.

I take screen shots and compare over time, you can also click on specific points of LnL - but tricky to replicate each time - and see the AQI readings to compare.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:17 AM, sgoodes said:

Does anyone know what its like around Buriram.

I'm back offshore and just watching it. Due back in Thailand on the 23rd but thought I'd get out of Pattaya for a few weeks and go to Buriram, Khon Kaen and Udon as it's been pretty bad there and I dont want to have to end up back in hospital or have to leave early again.

Check the map and you can get a sense

https://www.airvisual.com/earth

or AQI by city - not all cities in Thailand covered, no BRam, but here is KK - not a good day

http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/khonkaen/

There was heavy rain a few days back in Pattaya (seeded rain, not sure?) and things seem to have improved there quite a but (surrounding area readings)

http://aqicn.org/city/rayong/

23 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

No one believes that air pollution or smoking is good for people. I quit smoking almost 30 years ago, but I'm not ready to quit breathing, and I certainly do not want to get worked up about something I can do nothing about. 

Yes.

Your comment though is probably too mature and matter of fact for many to understand.

It is what it is in a foreign country we can do nothing to change.

Just like all the Visa changes 1000's screaming for Mommy's help when it is totally out of our control.

Glad some like you get it. Go and enjoy life think outside the box and deal with things in reality like a mature adult...

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes.

Your comment though is probably too mature and matter of fact for many to understand.

It is what it is in a foreign country we can do nothing to change.

Just like all the Visa changes 1000's screaming for Mommy's help when it is totally out of our control.

Glad some like you get it. Go and enjoy life think outside the box and deal with things in reality like a mature adult...

Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances...

"...you must be a super hero."

Well, you got me there >..<

"I guess since you don't see anyone dropping from the air it's no problem at least for you."

Uh, yeah....

"I realized that will upset a lot of people, but I don't control the weather."

What? If that's the case, then I'm taking my little icon of FolkGuitar down and putting the Kitchen God back up....

I'm just saying that, yes, there are people who actually physically have problems with the burning season. I do not dispute that. Some people get afflictions and others don't. Perhaps instead of saying a weak constitution, I should say less-than-ideal genes. 

Some people get sick more often that others. Some lose all the hair on their head and all the teeth in their mouth.

I've got a full head of hair and no cavities in six decades (and no problems with burning pollution); I'd call that good genes...or being A SUPER HERO!!!

"Bow before me weaklings!" (I'm a vengeful, Old Testament super hero, deal with it!)

17 hours ago, Trujillo said:

"...you must be a super hero."

Well, you got me there >..<

"I guess since you don't see anyone dropping from the air it's no problem at least for you."

Uh, yeah....

"I realized that will upset a lot of people, but I don't control the weather."

What? If that's the case, then I'm taking my little icon of FolkGuitar down and putting the Kitchen God back up....

I'm just saying that, yes, there are people who actually physically have problems with the burning season. I do not dispute that. Some people get afflictions and others don't. Perhaps instead of saying a weak constitution, I should say less-than-ideal genes. 

Some people get sick more often that others. Some lose all the hair on their head and all the teeth in their mouth.

I've got a full head of hair and no cavities in six decades (and no problems with burning pollution); I'd call that good genes...or being A SUPER HERO!!!

"Bow before me weaklings!" (I'm a vengeful, Old Testament super hero, deal with it!)

I've got a full head of hair and no cavities in six decades (and no problems with burning pollution)

Your Icon says it all I guess - hair n teeth look to be all there, not close enough to confirm cavities....????

• 2 weeks later...

Archived