Chiang Mai bracing for 8.5% rise in Chinese tourists at New Year

webfact

Chiang Mai bracing for 8.5% rise in Chinese tourists at New Year

9pm1.jpg

Picture: Nation TV

The Nation TV reported that two Chinese airlines had requested increased flights and more Chinese than last year would be visiting the northern Thai city. 

Chinese New Year passengers at the city's airport are expected to average 39,000 people per day for the February 1st to 10th period. 

This is an 8.5% rise on 2018.

Two airlines have added extra flights. Budget carrier Junyao have added 82 on the route from Shanghai while China Eastern have added 14 flights on the Nanning - Chiang Mai and Qingdao to Chiang Mai routes.

The news media reported that preparations were in place to handle the extra tourists providing convenience and security. 

Source: NATION TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-31

Do the sums. CNX is open 6 am - midnight = 18 hours. 39,000 / 18 = 2,167 passengers per hour, or 36 per minute, including passport and visa checks. And that's Chinese passengers only, and an average from low to high intensity. CNX is tiny by modern standards. Imagine the kind of terminal and the number of immigration windows you'd need to keep staffed for 18 hours to handle that kind of inflow. This is clearly idiotic. Lob off one zero, and 3,900 looks more realistic, though still nothing to write home about if you live in CM and use the airport.

1 hour ago, HLover said:

By 'bracing' do they mean increasing the air pollution levels so the Chinese will feel more at home?

Ha ha!

Reminds me of Skegness, a seaside town on the east coast of England. There's advertising campaign for it still being used today, originating from 1908 by a railway company with the phrase, "Skegness is so bracing"

Having been there with my parents as a kid, I just thought it was very windy.

My theory is the Great Northern Railway company thought: It's bloody windy here, what can we do? I know we'll call it 'bracing', that'll get the crowds in.

image.png.c0e2853502b5c448ddabb4c4bb9386ce.png

Archived