The Indians are coming! And they're not "Cheap Charlies", say the TAT

webfact

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Sorry, have to dispute that. Yes, there are around 700 million who do not have disposable income, but there are around 100 million very wealthy and 500 million middle class, numbers which pretty much match those of everyone in western Europe. I lived in India for three years and there are a lot more folk there with money to burn than there are here.

I agree that you will get some traveling on a small budget, but backpackers from around the world are too.

There could be the whole billion of wealthy or middle class, but when culture is to share 1 bottle between 8 people and 1 bed between 4, they will retain status of "cheap charlie" ????

3 hours ago, HLover said:

Did not see the phrase Cheap Charlie once in the article.

Anyway, this article and the pollution situation warrants an investment in a facemask stockpile.

Cheap charlies.is reserved for farangs and there are so many.

2 hours ago, dreaming said:

What is your point?

Do you think if they promote tourism from indians, the americans and europeans are going to stop coming.

edit: Also last time I looked air asia was based in malaysia. No way would thai air asia fly to NZ

I bet that the Europeans LOVE to sit in a bar/restaurant with loads of Indians, Chinese, Russians and some soidogs and flowervendors.

It's the formula for a nice holiday i guarantee!

3 hours ago, SammyT said:

I'm sure the bargirls are thrilled about it all. I've heard many won't even touch them due to the disrespect the Indian guys treat bargirls with. 

If true, it's fair to say that many Indians won't be coming...

If the girls are hungry, they'll be more than willing!

1 hour ago, dreaming said:

Why are you standing around watching indian men standing around hookers on beach rd.

Are you a zero baht farang. 

Imagine if I could observe that while simply walking past? Or are you one of those people who can't chew gum and walk at the same time and would have to stop to observe something, so your senses don't get overloaded?

7 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

If the girls are hungry, they'll be more than willing!

ah, so that's what the girl in Soi 7 meant when she said she was so hungry she could swallow a couple of curries. I thought she meant a Korma and Vindaloo

1 minute ago, simtemple said:

One bar girl to service 12 Indian males @ 200 baht each. Tell me again these low life's are not cheap charlies!

Definitely the best value for money in being the first guy of the 12 I reckon.

5 hours ago, SammyT said:

I'm sure the bargirls are thrilled about it all. I've heard many won't even touch them due to the disrespect the Indian guys treat bargirls with. 

If true, it's fair to say that many Indians won't be coming...

Carry on dreaming. They are accepted on the Beach Rd and MPs. If they show money elsewhere too.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Not Cheap Charlies,a couple of weeks ago some checked into

my daughters hotel,complete with pots and pans,and got irate

when told they could not cook in the rooms.

regards worgeordie

Your daughter should be thankful they did not demand free water and food for them to cook.

My esteemed guests from India usually demand unlimited supply of water, unlimited supply of toiletries, free taxi rides to any destination, including airport, free breakfast, lunch and dinner served in room and as it turns out minibar provided should also be free because drinks were in the fridge in their room, so therefore its free.

And to put cherry on top, all of this in my cheapest room, 600 baht room shared by 2 man

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I refused a booking a couple of years ago from 4 Indian guys in a 2 bedroom villa they complained to Airbnb I was being racist

You are indeed???????? i was labelled bad because i did not give respect to Indians and did not embrace them(not my words, theirs) 

What i did wrong i did not allow a herd of 7 of them to gang rape 1 girl.

A lot of ridiculous comments here. 

Easy to call them 'cheap charlies' collectively, but the ones who offer the low prices probably pay similarly in their country for the 'low end' street worker.

Not unlike people from the UK who are now comparing local prices to the prices they pay in the UK....and complaining about it.

The irony is that the 'cheap charlies' might reduce prices to realistic levels for themselves. The fact is that you were likely 'overpaying' in the first instance for a low end product.

On the other hand, I was speaking to a Russian girl the other day and she told me that she charges and obtains 3000 baht for her time from the supposed 'cheap charlies'.

20 minutes ago, JamJar said:

A lot of ridiculous comments here. 

Easy to call them 'cheap charlies' collectively, but the ones who offer the low prices probably pay similarly in their country for the 'low end' street worker.

Not unlike people from the UK who are now comparing local prices to the prices they pay in the UK....and complaining about it.

The irony is that the 'cheap charlies' might reduce prices to realistic levels for themselves. The fact is that you were likely 'overpaying' in the first instance for a low end product.

On the other hand, I was speaking to a Russian girl the other day and she told me that she charges and obtains 3000 baht for her time from the supposed 'cheap charlies'.

People from the UK do not share 1 bed between 2 man and do not share 1 bottle of water between 8 or 1 girl between 2-10 wanting to pay 100 baht each.

People from the UK may well be cheap charlies and will hunt for cheapest price, but people from the UK do not go into 7-11 and start bargaining,

10 hours ago, keith101 said:

And the vast majority of these are the poor and cant afford to take holidays even in their own country for more than a couple of days .

The point is that even a small minority of a huge population is still a very large number.

26 minutes ago, BestB said:

People from the UK do not share 1 bed between 2 man and do not share 1 bottle of water between 8 or 1 girl between 2-10 wanting to pay 100 baht each.

People from the UK may well be cheap charlies and will hunt for cheapest price, but people from the UK do not go into 7-11 and start bargaining,

So?

There aren't 1.2 billion people in the UK. Different lifestyle, different culture. 

Let's be honest. Many just came to exploit poor local girls. So pretending to care about their welfare whilst exploiting them yourselves, just doesn't wash.

The only difference is the amount of money you may have to spend.

It doesn't make you better.

5 hours ago, simtemple said:

One bar girl to service 12 Indian males @ 200 baht each. Tell me again these low life's are not cheap charlies!

If you were offered the service for 200 baht, you wouldn't be complaining. Maybe envious because you need to pay a lot more?

8 hours ago, HalfLight said:

Didn't take long for Thais to adopt dog whistles did it? The expression ánd they're not Cheap Charlies' contains the embedded suggestion that the current visitors are heap charlies. But then, adopting the Napoleon Wisdom, 'never attribute to malice what is adequately explained by incompetence', would probably be sensible…

Besides, adoption of the expression 'Cheap Charlies' speaks volumes about this guy itself...

Wow, you are probably one of the quickest on this forum to come out with a negative Thai comment - and that is saying something.

Did you read the article?  "This guy" gave a talk at the South Asia Travel and Tourism Exchange.  That's it.  Do you really think he said "Wahey, they are not Cheap Charlies!!"?  I'm sure you do because you are so anti-Thai everything, you probably really believe he used those words - indeed you say as much.  Quite unbelievable, you really do think he said that.

The headline is a spin by the quite consistently poor "Webfact".  You do realise that right?  Or do you think that all Thai officials write their own internet headlines?    

Archived