Condo is more like a hotel

The Bangkok condo where I rent is more like a hotel with many rentals as short as 2 days. Management owns a large number of their rooms which they rent and they also handle rentals for owners - close to half of the units in the building are being rented on places like booking.com and Airbnb. Most of the rentals are very short term, much less than the 30 day minimum required by law. Where can one report this and is it likely any action will be taken ?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

38 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

Where can one report this and is it likely any action will be taken ?

You could try the Hotel Association, but in the end nothing is likely to happen unless many co-owners complain about it.

You should be thankful that you only rent, and move elsewhere.

Our condo has big signs in reception, lifts and other places stating in 3 languages 'This is not a hotel!' and goes on to explain that short time guests are not a legal option, and that ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Glad to say we don't have your problem.

My previous apartment had this problem, and some of of the posters above are obviously ignorant of the problems it causes to long term residents.

38 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

I was wondering the same, what is the problem?

Compare a normal condo building that only has permanent residents and one that has many short-term tenants and you will instantly know what the problem is.

Short-term tenants simply dont care about the building they are in and cause a lot of extra wear and tear. They also rarely obey the building rules and are often noisy, and come and go at all hours. They are a menace.

52 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Does it matter?

39 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

I was wondering the same, what is the problem?

Maybe he rented there longterm or even bought a condo. And short term renters are often more loud and take care less...

I am happy, that in my building they take care that there are no short term renters.

Does it matter?

Yes it matters. Living in a peaceful condo block vs party central. You want the revolving door neighbour's room and the sex parties? Nothing wrong with that and it's why hotels were invented

Owners have to pay common area fees and don't want the block trashed..

OP as a renter not much you can do as you can't attend the agm where owners would put it to a vote.

My condo block is strictly prohibited with warnings of arrest plastered everywhere but it took years of bullying juristic but it worked

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:
3 hours ago, Searat7 said:

The Bangkok condo where I rent is more like a hotel

Does it matter?

absolutely, the short-termers have very little respect for other occupants.

A lot more noise, all hours.

people coming and going in the middle of the night.

They devalue the property.

4 minutes ago, VYCM said:

They also provide income to owners who need the money to pay mortgages and common fees. 

Where are all these sex parties taking place? And can I get an invite?

The OP says he rents why should he be worried about the condo values? 

I suspect that if the management company can show good occupancy rates, the value of the condos would go up not down.

But it does give me an idea.

If considering purchasing a condo, rent one for a few weeks in the same building to get a feel for the place.

13 minutes ago, champers said:
20 minutes ago, VYCM said:

They also provide income to owners who need the money to pay mortgages and common fees.

The income to the owner will be reduced once the property becomes a sh!thole due to the tenants devaluing the property.

Also, his asset will lose its value.

53 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Compare a normal condo building that only has permanent residents and one that has many short-term tenants and you will instantly know what the problem is.

Short-term tenants simply dont care about the building they are in and cause a lot of extra wear and tear. They also rarely obey the building rules and are often noisy, and come and go at all hours. They are a menace.

right, I can see your point, have never stayed in a condo in Thailand, so have no experience with that

(I either stay in hotels or rent houses)

42 minutes ago, VYCM said:

They do indeed. Few landlords here seem to realise this, yet they are cutting their own throats.

35 minutes ago, champers said:

Those who cant afford the common fees should not have bought in the first place. Anyway, no one is objecting to long-term tenants, which are what those who buy for investment purposes should be targetting. The objections are about short-term tenants. There is a reason such tenancies are illegal.

Anyone who wants to invest in short-stay property should buy a hotel.

I live in a 9 month old, upscale, 43 story condo in the Naklua-Wongamat neighborhood of Pattaya. The place has turned into a Chinese-Russian short term hotel.

Indeed, the Russians living in more modest accomodations in the neighborhood, were flooding through the front gate to use the five swimming pools until a new security company took over and started asking to see condo key cards for entry.

Short term renters are breaking Thai law; which are emblazioned on banners in numerous locations on property,  aren't paying their way and care nothing for the facilities. 

I don't know what's worse when trying to get to sleep , the hooker next door screaming her lungs out during anal or the Russian guys slamming the door so hard at 3 am that it sends a tremor through the building. The hooker I get but why use lethal force on a door that's not resisting?

That's what you get in "hotel" condos

I have a nice Condo and I was unaware the management ( who are reputable) would keep a large percentage of Condo's for short term rentals (they are Booking.com )  The Owners are the Managers and quite well known in Pattaya but I do agree with many of the comments above about short term renters not caring about the residents or the building and the increased wear and tear on Pool items/Gym Items/General maintenance is met by Co-owners !    I noted the comment that short term rentals at Condo's less than 30 days are illegal ??  Is this the law and can I / we as Co-owners stop these activities and have the owners/management company sell off the rented Condo's .   The management unfortunately control more than 50% of the votes at meetings so even though the management is very good ( their own interests of course for rental clients) we are stuck passing a co-owners vote !   Only something legal that prevents this activity will enable us to take action .  Any advice welcome . 

When you signed the rental agreement was it indicated to you? as for complaining, unless you are a homeowner and even if you were an homeowner not much can and will be done, the law is not clear on the short rental agreements, it's a matter of interpretation and foreigner owners are always interpreted the wrong way, meaning we loose all the time. Hotel Association can't do anything either unless is proven that the people renting on short term own more than five rooms, if they do, then it fall within Hotel Law and they need a license..... to make it short, you rent, don't own, if not happy move out, if you complain you will be making a lot of ""wrong"" friends

50 minutes ago, Pinot said:

Reason #438 never to buy in Thailand

why blame it on Thailand, I was in Vietnam same problem, Malaysia same same, the other OP mention Australia, my sister own a condo in Marbella (Spain) she told me during summer vacation  in Europe same problem, tenants come for 2-3 nights, they use A/C in fitness room full blast, noisy parties by the pool, elevator broke or b;locked and so forth, unfortunately it's all over.... somebody said owners take better care of the building, but again it can vary because in my building the owners (majority Thai) don't give a damn about the building either,  as long as their room is rented.....

Ignoring the ignorant posters that have never had the ability/desire to own a condo unit in Thailand, so do not have an opinion (imho), there is little that a "normal" owner can do. Believe me, I am in the same position as the OP and have the added benefit of being vice-chair of the Condo Committee. The culprits are the original developers who own 70% of the units. They rent out to people using hospitals (their families stay whilst they undergo treatment and anyone who will book through the usual internet sites (booking.com, hotels.com etc.). There is wear and tear all over the place and unwelcome noise from time to time (it could be a lot worse). The Chairlady and I have begged, pleaded and screamed at the Juristic Person who simply says that the owners don't give a "flying..." and the unsaid bit is "take it on if you want and see the shit hit the fan". The added problem is that the owners pay 70% of the management fees and so argue they are paying their way for upkeep. They have 70% of any vote, so it has to continue until the day comes when the authorities find out. I even run the risk of someone else complaining and the finger pointing at me as a known protester.

We have Rules & Regulations that are quite strict and so I have been slowly getting the owners and other unit landlords to accept that all guests have to adhere to the R & R. There has been some success in this area.

So what to do? We can complain and make reports, and the owners may be done for breaking the law eventually. Then they can then get even at their leisure.

Some serious suggestions would be welcomed.

Cheers

RtS

39 minutes ago, Rod the Sod said:

Ignoring the ignorant posters that have never had the ability/desire to own a condo unit in Thailand, so do not have an opinion (imho), there is little that a "normal" owner can do. Believe me, I am in the same position as the OP and have the added benefit of being vice-chair of the Condo Committee. The culprits are the original developers who own 70% of the units. They rent out to people using hospitals (their families stay whilst they undergo treatment and anyone who will book through the usual internet sites (booking.com, hotels.com etc.). There is wear and tear all over the place and unwelcome noise from time to time (it could be a lot worse). The Chairlady and I have begged, pleaded and screamed at the Juristic Person who simply says that the owners don't give a "flying..." and the unsaid bit is "take it on if you want and see the shit hit the fan". The added problem is that the owners pay 70% of the management fees and so argue they are paying their way for upkeep. They have 70% of any vote, so it has to continue until the day comes when the authorities find out. I even run the risk of someone else complaining and the finger pointing at me as a known protester.

We have Rules & Regulations that are quite strict and so I have been slowly getting the owners and other unit landlords to accept that all guests have to adhere to the R & R. There has been some success in this area.

So what to do? We can complain and make reports, and the owners may be done for breaking the law eventually. Then they can then get even at their leisure.

Some serious suggestions would be welcomed.

Cheers

RtS

Load up the booking sites with negative reviews

6 hours ago, Jen65 said:

I have a nice Condo and I was unaware the management ( who are reputable) would keep a large percentage of Condo's for short term rentals (they are Booking.com )  The Owners are the Managers and quite well known in Pattaya but I do agree with many of the comments above about short term renters not caring about the residents or the building and the increased wear and tear on Pool items/Gym Items/General maintenance is met by Co-owners !    I noted the comment that short term rentals at Condo's less than 30 days are illegal ??  Is this the law and can I / we as Co-owners stop these activities and have the owners/management company sell off the rented Condo's .   The management unfortunately control more than 50% of the votes at meetings so even though the management is very good ( their own interests of course for rental clients) we are stuck passing a co-owners vote !   Only something legal that prevents this activity will enable us to take action .  Any advice welcome . 

Yes, it IS the law.  Rentals of less than 30 days are illegal in condo projects.  The confusion some may have regarding the law might stem from the fact that the law is in the Thai Hotel Act and not the Thai Condo Act.  Many times people will say that there's nothing in the Thai Condo Act preventing short-term rentals.  True--it's in the Hotel Act. Still just as illegal.

I think your best bet is to try to organize the co-owners. The more co-owners you have the stronger your voice.  One first step might be starting a Line group for the condo to get co-owners organized, exchange information,  and keep informed--that's half the battle.  Good luck.    

I can appreciate the comment on slamming doors...I own a condo in Chiangmai and this year it has become super popular with Chinese tourists, many using air b&b...illegally, as usual nobody enforces the law..... they slam the doors day and night it sounds like there is a machine gun going off......seems they like to let people know they are alive.....with the doors slamming and the kids screaming it might even get me to move out.........nightmare.

Archived