Condo is more like a hotel

5 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Somebody said owners take better care of the building, but again it can vary because in my building the owners (majority Thai) don't give a damn about the building either,  as long as their room is rented.....

Actually I pointed out that residents care much more about the building than short-term tenants do, and I stand by that.

I'm well aware that Thai landlords generally only care about the money coming in. Farang landlords are often as bad.

In the past my husband and I had been dreaming of spending the rest of our lives in a bought apartment in Thailand. Today we know that it is almost always better to rent in order to be able to move in case of trouble of any kind.

I live in a high-rise building in Hamburg, Germany - and we have the same problem here. You come home and find 6 backpackers sitting at the communal floor in front of the elevator trying to find an open WIFI ...

Our management and the authorities are totally failing. So we residents had to resort to other means. ???? Whenever I meet obvious tourists in the elevator, I tell them that just last week all the holiday homes here have been raided and searched by the police. Would that not frighten them?

At least then I feel better ... ????

Perhaps subletting in Thai condos has had it's day? 

So says a well informed friend of mine, whose son rents and then sublets over a 100 condos in BKK and has been doing through his travel company in BKK for some years now and making a fortune I might add.

Hopefully genuine condo residents can now take solace in the knowledge that the authorities and management in many blocks are openly cracking down on this type of business. Fingerprint entry is one example in their arsenal and interestingly, if it's affecting a serial renter like my friend's son and the only way he can find to get around the problem is to rent shophouses and apply the same principle, perhaps those slamming doors days are numbered.

I hope so, excessive noise beyond my control would irritate me beyond belief.

Having a rental program for condos is good business, provides good rental returns, should help selling prices, and should subsidize owners fees to maintain the property and hopefully to a higher standard. 

If you get good rental rates you attract a better renter and short term rentals do not have to be a problem for the other owners. It can be a win win for all condo owners. 

12 hours ago, Rod the Sod said:

Ignoring the ignorant posters that have never had the ability/desire to own a condo unit in Thailand, so do not have an opinion (imho), there is little that a "normal" owner can do. Believe me, I am in the same position as the OP and have the added benefit of being vice-chair of the Condo Committee. The culprits are the original developers who own 70% of the units. They rent out to people using hospitals (their families stay whilst they undergo treatment and anyone who will book through the usual internet sites (booking.com, hotels.com etc.). There is wear and tear all over the place and unwelcome noise from time to time (it could be a lot worse). The Chairlady and I have begged, pleaded and screamed at the Juristic Person who simply says that the owners don't give a "flying..." and the unsaid bit is "take it on if you want and see the shit hit the fan". The added problem is that the owners pay 70% of the management fees and so argue they are paying their way for upkeep. They have 70% of any vote, so it has to continue until the day comes when the authorities find out. I even run the risk of someone else complaining and the finger pointing at me as a known protester.

We have Rules & Regulations that are quite strict and so I have been slowly getting the owners and other unit landlords to accept that all guests have to adhere to the R & R. There has been some success in this area.

So what to do? We can complain and make reports, and the owners may be done for breaking the law eventually. Then they can then get even at their leisure.

Some serious suggestions would be welcomed.

Cheers

RtS

was and still am in the exactly same situation at my condo, the law is not enforced, the juristic person at my place has nor balls to say anything, the previous management/juristic was a relative to the developer's they took more than 3 million baht from the fund and management fees, I was named the <deleted> of the year because kept challenging them to remove the management and vote new one, we did and these guy was elected or elected himself as the juristic person, we told him to ask for the money back from the previous management/juristic group and he chicken out, saying ('"" let go the past, we move forward....''') he even went further by allowing the previous management/juristic to rent rooms at the condo project, questioned about his decision he avoided answering but it appears the previous management are considered to be high class people and he's considered lower than them so he bend over all the time, if the old ones come around he acts like a wuss..... there's nothing we can do here, this is Thailand, condo law not enforced,

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Actually I pointed out that residents care much more about the building than short-term tenants do, and I stand by that.

I'm well aware that Thai landlords generally only care about the money coming in. Farang landlords are often as bad.

Owners non residents, they don't live at the site, they don't know what's going on and what is happening ( and don't really investigate to know ) at the site don't care about maintenance, they only come to the site to investigate about their payments being late, why the commissions were not paid on time, we have been trying to paints rusty rails for the past 2 years to no avail.....if you experience is a better one, you are a lucky man but from what I hear and heard happening at other sites it appears the majority acts as I described

6 hours ago, inThailand said:

Having a rental program for condos is good business, provides good rental returns, should help selling prices, and should subsidize owners fees to maintain the property and hopefully to a higher standard. 

If you get good rental rates you attract a better renter and short term rentals do not have to be a problem for the other owners. It can be a win win for all condo owners. 

you must be living in dreamland.... read the posts, there are no GOOD rental programs for condos in Thailand, the majority of condo owners are minimum 51% Thais and since they don't give a damn about maintaining the property, we foreigners always loose, their mentality is simple,""" buy condo, rent condo, collect income, paid fees as late as possible and don't accept emergency funds to be allocated for maintenance, foreigners live at condo if not happy they will fix it, not my problem...""

11 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

you must be living in dreamland.... read the posts, there are no GOOD rental programs for condos in Thailand, the majority of condo owners are minimum 51% Thais and since they don't give a damn about maintaining the property, we foreigners always loose, their mentality is simple,""" buy condo, rent condo, collect income, paid fees as late as possible and don't accept emergency funds to be allocated for maintenance, foreigners live at condo if not happy they will fix it, not my problem...""

Where I live there is one condo solely controlled by a Thai, the balance of the 51% are falang Thai couples with the falang buying the condo and participating in the developments issues, ie via voting, being on the committee, etc. 

And the condos are never rented to Thais, falangs only. 

We have experienced both good and bad rental programs, it's possible to have it managed in a decent fashion, not perfect, but very acceptable based on where we are. 

Key point is that many of us pay to live in a certain level of building in the hope that that will translate to minimum standards of behavior. With AirBnB you have people who could not afford to stay long term but can afford a few days on holiday - a bit like I can stay at an upmarket hotel for a few days/weeks but year round is prohibitive. It used to work like that - people renting LT were above the level of people using the swimming pool showers as urinals, or not being able to close a door without slamming it as hard as possible - that kind of thing started around the time AirBnB became a thing.

Right now I am living in something between a refugee camp for transients and a youth hostel, but luckily not directly on my floor. Others are not so lucky.

9 hours ago, bojo said:

Hopefully genuine condo residents can now take solace in the knowledge that the authorities and management in many blocks are openly cracking down on this type of business. Fingerprint entry is one example in their arsenal.......

This is an interesting possibility that I have investigated previously. Basically it can work very well in smaller quieter buildings but it could become very unwieldy for everyone in big busy buildings.

One possibility would be to have fingerprint entry doors for co-owners and those with proven long leases, and another entry manned by security to individually check anyone who does not have valid fingerprint entry. But without the support of the committee and, ultimately, the majority of co-owners, it would not happen.

2 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

That says it all.

he has a good point, many comments are repetitive and it shows the ones making them are not reading the full post.... unless one has been in the same situation one can not understand the posts

Interesting thread.

I'm currently living in a condo which is ultra strict with AirBnB. As soon you walk in with luggage - and you aren't known - you're surrounded by the juristic staff and 2 guards. If you can't prove that you are resident they kick you out. 

In general it's just too attractive for landlords to miss out on this opportunity to make some quick money. The above mentioned condo complex is pretty huge, on each floor are about 20 units. I live there for a month and have yet to meet another tenant on my floor. Besides my unit, at least 15 are unoccupied on that floor. I'm pretty surprised that they execute this "no AirBnB" rule so strict. Good for the tenants.

The building management is a global facility management company.   

8 minutes ago, MixPiano said:

Do they have a name? It's always interesting to know which companies do a good job.

Though in the end the committee will be the ones driving this.

12 minutes ago, MixPiano said:

Interesting thread.

I'm currently living in a condo which is ultra strict with AirBnB. As soon you walk in with luggage - and you aren't known - you're surrounded by the juristic staff and 2 guards. If you can't prove that you are resident they kick you out. 

In general it's just too attractive for landlords to miss out on this opportunity to make some quick money. The above mentioned condo complex is pretty huge, on each floor are about 20 units. I live there for a month and have yet to meet another tenant on my floor. Besides my unit, at least 15 are unoccupied on that floor. I'm pretty surprised that they execute this "no AirBnB" rule so strict. Good for the tenants.

If a condo owner wants to break the law by renting for less than thirty days thats his perogative. It's not the JP Managers responsibility to police owners renting, unless it's in the rules and regulations. 

2 hours ago, MixPiano said:

Interesting thread.

where is it? and no Chinese or Indians?  .... maybe will move there

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

If a condo owner wants to break the law by renting for less than thirty days thats his perogative. It's not the JP Managers responsibility to police owners renting, unless it's in the rules and regulations. 

It is the responsibility of both the committee and the JPM to ensure that nothing causes damage or excess wear to the building, or causes a nuisance generally to co-owners. Clearly short-term tenants often do both.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

It is the responsibility of both the committee and the JPM to ensure that nothing causes damage or excess wear to the building, or causes a nuisance generally to co-owners. Clearly short-term tenants often do both.

maybe at your place, because at mine, as I said before, the committee, the GM, the Juristic or Thai owners nobody gives a damn, when pointing out require preventive maintenance they look at me like I am from another planet

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

maybe at your place, because at mine, as I said before, the committee, the GM, the Juristic or Thai owners nobody gives a damn, when pointing out require preventive maintenance they look at me like I am from another planet

That may be so, but it doesnt alter the fact that they should be interested.

Thais are frequently very unwilling to devote any time or money or effort to doing anything, and mostly they much prefer to sit on their backsides counting money. You often have to rely on farangs to do anything worthwhile in buildings here, and even then many of them have their own agendas and are not really interested in improving the collectivity at all.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

That may be so, but it doesnt alter the fact that they should be interested.

Thais are frequently very unwilling to devote any time or money or effort to doing anything, and mostly they much prefer to sit on their backsides counting money. You often have to rely on farangs to do anything worthwhile in buildings here, and even then many of them have their own agendas and are not really interested in improving the collectivity at all.

thanks, agree, have exactly that problem and some (cheap) farangs  are siding with Thais

10 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Don't disagree. But its still the owners option if within the rules to do as he pleases. If he doesn't pay tax, you want the JP to police him as well? 

Archived