An Almost Immediate Fix to Bangkok’s Pollution Problem – A Joint Royal Thai Air force and Media Event.

pkrv

As the title states it is possible to begin an almost immediate fix to Bangkok’s pollution problem using a joint Royal Thai Air force and Media Event – I hope I have posted to the correct forum.

1)      The Thai media are invited to an embargoed (Not to be shown until after 7 pm) Royal Thai Air force air force operation. Media operations begin at dawn showing lift off of (preferably more than one squadron) of four Royal Thai Air force helicopters’. Their mission to scour and photograph Bangkok for excessive pollution sources.  

2)      The Royal Thai Air force squadron(s) consisting of four helicopters the lead helicopter photographing ahead, followed by the port and starboard helicopters’ photographing to the left and right, and the rear helicopter – the control helicopter, in scientific terms i.e. independent to provide cooperating evidence, following behind.

3)      Full scale media event showing the returning flight(s) with the media associated message ‘get your vehicles serviced, before they are forced off the road by law'.

Yes one helicopter could do the job – But that is very definitely not the point. Additionally the message it is not the Thai way to endanger the lives of others by selfish actions should be emphasised.

This is very much a joint Royal Thai Air force and Media Event – that must take place when unexpected.

This should make a positive impact and show the Military Government (using its own resources) is very, very, serous indeed.

What are your thoughts?

32 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Maybe best to take cover if you live there..

I'll get my flak helmet out of the closet!  Thanks for the warning in advance.... :ninja:

Of course, whatever it is they're planning to do isn't going to be "an almost immediate fix" to anything, except the ever hungry military appetite for useless publicity.

But if the helicopters manage to find some lawless trash burners or black smoke belching buses while flying overhead, and then dump water on them or strafe them, then I guess it will have been a good day!

Immediate harsh action agains the Polluters... 

Burning of fields - an out and out ban on burning, severe penalties for farmers who burn.

Factories - Install scrubbers immediately or face shut down and severe penalties... Do not allow corruption to let the wealthy factory owners 'pay for officials to look the other way'... hmmmm

Busses - Specifically Public Transport - will self regulation work? Will public officials be held accountable for allowing the Public Busses to continue operating... Buy new cleaner busses.

Trucks & Lorries - Severe fines for the owners (not the drivers)

Personal Vehicles - Severe fines for the drivers polluting vehicles

NO corruption in any of the above....  these steps and only these steps would be a start in tackling pollution.

Photos and proof of a couple (or more) polluting factories may only make a dent in the issue, there needs to be a complete cultural shift in the mindset of everyone, especially the owners of factories, the only way to do this is to impact the bottom line - profits

Effective policing and regulation is essential - it take's effective hard work at the ground level... without this we will not witness improvement regardless of what photos are taken..

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Effective policing and regulation is essential - it take's effective hard work at the ground level... without this we will not witness improvement regardless of what photos are taken..

And then you woke up from your dream, and remembered you were staying in Thailand!  :cheesy:

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And then you woke up from your dream, and remembered you were staying in Thailand!  :cheesy:

Indeed... a quote commonly attributed to Joseph de Maistre.... 'In a democracy, the people end up with the government and leaders they deserve'.... 

Well... it seems they also end up with the Environment they deserve too... in this case the years of corruption and inaction have let to worsening pollution... (and worsening other things too such as road accident amongst others).... 

• 2 weeks later...

multile choppers, on a PR mission

to the open eyed 'Public Relations'

to the Defence Budget, a 'Photo Recon' mission

You never know what may happen, without witnesses

Lesson from the past:

Airforce A20 Boston takes off.

'It's mission is to experiment with a strangely thought out notion for an alternative to the newly developed, but horrificly effective, Napalm

(and the war still had no sign of ending) 

The bomb bay didn't have pesticide, not any kind of liquid spray; to get rid of the pesky bugs in brown on the ground.

Instead, a bomb bay filled with an array of Bouncing Betty mines.

(Used again in Vietnam, but designed by the Germans back in 1917)

The idea was to strafe the problem, with a magnifiectlty random looking splay of shrapnel, that no one, nothing, would escape from... 

The aircraft did not come home!

So, another test is done!

That aircraft did not come home

This happened again, for a 3rd time!

Heirachy was befuddled; but there was going to be no Mai Pen Rai today!

This 4th time, the test aircraft takes off, and it is this time being shadowed by another A20, a camera ship.

They arrive at the designated pest-spraying' target zone.

The test A20 drops it's load

Well! - within 5 seconds the aircraft has disappeared in a flash and a big big puff of smoke! 

Heads up:   I actually interviewed one of the crew from that day, one of the camera ship crew.

He continues...

... they worked it out what had happened;

that the moment the Mines were hit by the slipstream,

they all justled around, bumping into each other,

and also the trailing edge of the bomb bay.

Mines metaphorically think to themselves,

"oh! I am being trodden on, I have to blow!"

and they did, all of them...

Crewie goes on...

" ... and then and there we all decided that we'd never try THAT again!" 

and went back to Napalm

He was not alone that day I spoke with him. he was there at the RAAF airforce museum, with wife and son/daughter in law in tow...

his wife's face was bleach white, and she's stammering... "you never told us about THAT one!"

there's always some good reason for having as many cameras as an ego desires, when it come to PR!!

so, readers' (was this a joke?) expectations aside...

my WW2 A20 story was real!   the camera ship is A20 Boston 'J' for Jessica, at Pt Cook

Archived