Buying tires/tyres online.

bbko

The Pros

If you go to somewhere like Goodyear Auto Shop and buy four you will ...

1 ... know the build date of the tyres offered and can reject if not happy

2 ... get free alignment camber/toe/castor 

3 ... have the tyres rotated and re-balance every 6 months

4 ... Be able to have your tyre pressures checked and re-inflated if needed whenever you want

All for the life of the tyres 

I don't have any experience of the Cons other that it 'appears' at first sight to be the cheapest option ...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, JAS21 said:

The Pros

If you go to somewhere like Goodyear Auto Shop and buy four you will ...

1 ... know the build date of the tyres offered and can reject if not happy

2 ... get free alignment camber/toe/castor 

3 ... have the tyres rotated and re-balance every 6 months

4 ... Be able to have your tyre pressures checked and re-inflated if needed whenever you want

All for the life of the tyres 

I don't have any experience of the Cons other that it 'appears' at first sight to be the cheapest option ...

Build date, what a funny thing in my opinion, I never care and find stupid that it would make any difference.

Tyres rotated ? isn't it a thing of the past ?! I never cared to do this also, and no problem in any of my German cars.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, myshem said:

Build date, what a funny thing in my opinion, I never care and find stupid that it would make any difference.

Tyres rotated ? isn't it a thing of the past ?! I never cared to do this also, and no problem in any of my German cars.

Oh well.....????

Your German cars had German tyres then...????

On 2/1/2019 at 6:34 PM, myshem said:

Do you actually understand build date? You would be happy to buy tyres that are  nine months to a year old. I wanted some tyres for my Everest last December ...  After phoning around no one had OEM tyres later than week nine  ...ie 09/18 ...so I bought an alternative ...

Actually you probably have a valid point about rotation .. that is if you don't do a high mileage. After three years use the rubber gets quite hard and ....                 I bin mine after three years ...  

Edited by JAS21

Of course ones thoughts on tyre stuff is up to the individual regarding their own safety but I would like to point out some stuff regarding a tyres life span that I have read/heard.

Michelin guarantee their road tyres for up to 9 years, 3 years on the shelf and 6 years on the ride.

I scanned through Toyota's 620 page PDF file on the Revo, at the tyre section it said if the original tyres are still good at 6 years old get your dealer or tyre professional to inspect them, they didn't say dump them.

I watched a vid from a series where a guy has a warehouse full of vintage and super cars, in one vid he invited a guy whose business was to source, supply and fit tyres for vintage and super cars, the last thing he said was most of the rides I deal with are not used much and but advise them to replace the tyres at 10 years old even if they are still in good condition..  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 8:27 AM, transam said:

Of course ones thoughts on tyre stuff is up to the individual regarding their own safety but I would like to point out some stuff regarding a tyres life span that I have read/heard.

I have read quite a bit over the years about the life span of tyres, most seem to recommend about six years, if you are going to the shops once a week and drive sedately you can probably quite safely add a couple of years to this, if you are racing up and down highways at 200 km probably best to subtract a few years.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:42 AM, pattayapip said:

Does anyone know of a good Tyre Shop in Pattaya that are happy to fit "Online Purchased" Tyres, obviously for a Fee, Decent shop with all balancing tracking facilities . . 

Try here

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9662994,100.9100698,3a,50.4y,332.74h,100.74t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1s84w6Y8nPrVICdGiDVPWFeQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i50?hl=en

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
14 hours ago, transam said:

Can be.....????

Don't rotate tires on a  mini cooper S at your own peril:) Been there done that...Hard driven FWD cars do need tires rotated. I do it because its free when one buys the tires. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DavisH said:

Don't rotate tires on a  mini cooper S at your own peril:) Been there done that...Hard driven FWD cars do need tires rotated. I do it because its free when one buys the tires. 

My "Can be".......................Some tyres are directional, so you cannot put them on the other side cos they will be pointing the wrong way....????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

My "Can be".......................Some tyres are directional, so you cannot put them on the other side cos they will be pointing the wrong way....????

That explains the difficulty I had after I swapped mine over...felt like a crab walk when trying to go forward...better change them back methinks............:whistling:

p.s. ignore the above trans...feeling giddy this morning  :cheesy:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, transam said:

Sure, some cant only go front to back on the same side. I remember having yokohamas on my mini; they were very soft. Think I chewed through them in 20K kms. Don't remember if I ever rotated them. Maybe that was the problem 55

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2020 at 12:03 PM, ujayujay said:

Mazda 2. Now 60k km with my Dunlop Tires in 4 Years. Still confortable. They will last up to 100k km. 

Fantastic, thanks for taking the time to bump up and update this thread with completely irrelevant information.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/1/2019 at 6:34 PM, myshem said:

rotation of the wheels gives equal wear to the tyres...!! ROTATED DIAGONALLY......

2 hours ago, transam said:

Might be for you, but there are more of us out there reading...????

Am glad to hear you are happy to hear someone is getting an extra 40000 km from his tyres,Those Dunlop SP sport lm704's fitted to the Mazda 2's wont last 100,000km safely.

• 3 months later...

irreverent bs reading here from armchair experts desiring to offer earnest and correct advice...... the giggle content is high.... love the wind-ups from those pointing out the obvious .....keep it up people...