BANGKOK 23 April 2019 19:06
bbko

Buying tires/tyres online.

Anyone here on TV have input on buying tires online?  Substantial savings?  Minimal savings? Mounting costs?  Pros/Cons?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

The Pros

If you go to somewhere like Goodyear Auto Shop and buy four you will ...

1 ... know the build date of the tyres offered and can reject if not happy

2 ... get free alignment camber/toe/castor 

3 ... have the tyres rotated and re-balance every 6 months

4 ... Be able to have your tyre pressures checked and re-inflated if needed whenever you want

All for the life of the tyres 

I don't have any experience of the Cons other that it 'appears' at first sight to be the cheapest option ...

• Confused 1

Silly idea IMO shop around your area and get it sorted no problems.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JAS21 said:

The Pros

If you go to somewhere like Goodyear Auto Shop and buy four you will ...

1 ... know the build date of the tyres offered and can reject if not happy

2 ... get free alignment camber/toe/castor 

3 ... have the tyres rotated and re-balance every 6 months

4 ... Be able to have your tyre pressures checked and re-inflated if needed whenever you want

All for the life of the tyres 

I don't have any experience of the Cons other that it 'appears' at first sight to be the cheapest option ...

Build date, what a funny thing in my opinion, I never care and find stupid that it would make any difference.

Tyres rotated ? isn't it a thing of the past ?! I never cared to do this also, and no problem in any of my German cars.

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, myshem said:

Build date, what a funny thing in my opinion, I never care and find stupid that it would make any difference.

Tyres rotated ? isn't it a thing of the past ?! I never cared to do this also, and no problem in any of my German cars.

Oh well.....🤔

Your German cars had German tyres then...🙄

On 2/1/2019 at 6:34 PM, myshem said:

Do you actually understand build date? You would be happy to buy tyres that are  nine months to a year old. I wanted some tyres for my Everest last December ...  After phoning around no one had OEM tyres later than week nine  ...ie 09/18 ...so I bought an alternative ...

Actually you probably have a valid point about rotation .. that is if you don't do a high mileage. After three years use the rubber gets quite hard and ....                 I bin mine after three years ...  

Edited by JAS21

Of course ones thoughts on tyre stuff is up to the individual regarding their own safety but I would like to point out some stuff regarding a tyres life span that I have read/heard.

Michelin guarantee their road tyres for up to 9 years, 3 years on the shelf and 6 years on the ride.

I scanned through Toyota's 620 page PDF file on the Revo, at the tyre section it said if the original tyres are still good at 6 years old get your dealer or tyre professional to inspect them, they didn't say dump them.

I watched a vid from a series where a guy has a warehouse full of vintage and super cars, in one vid he invited a guy whose business was to source, supply and fit tyres for vintage and super cars, the last thing he said was most of the rides I deal with are not used much and but advise them to replace the tyres at 10 years old even if they are still in good condition..  

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:31 PM, transam said:

Oh well.....🤔

Your German cars had German tyres then...🙄

No, they had caterpillar tracks.

2 hours ago, ballpoint said:

No, they had caterpillar tracks.

Hmm, wonder what mileage they got out of them....🤔

2 hours ago, transam said:

Hmm, wonder what mileage they got out of them....🤔

100,000 in a good year.

10 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

100,000 in a good year.

good year runflats.

Last month, I got a good deal on bridgestone tires from a store near my place. I prefer buying from local shops so that I can contact them immediately if there's any problem.

Does anyone know of a good Tyre Shop in Pattaya that are happy to fit "Online Purchased" Tyres, obviously for a Fee, Decent shop with all balancing tracking facilities . . 

On 2/6/2019 at 8:27 AM, transam said:

Of course ones thoughts on tyre stuff is up to the individual regarding their own safety but I would like to point out some stuff regarding a tyres life span that I have read/heard.

I have read quite a bit over the years about the life span of tyres, most seem to recommend about six years, if you are going to the shops once a week and drive sedately you can probably quite safely add a couple of years to this, if you are racing up and down highways at 200 km probably best to subtract a few years.

Maxxis SPRO Brand New Made 7th Week this Year, Decent Tread Pattern and a good overall Tyre Rating and a very good price

Now to get them fitted and see what they are like

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg