BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted

7 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Not really, you have to pay for the transfer from the UK to Thailand anyway. I think Dee Money is only 150 baht the other way, so it's 1800 baht a year.

And the first Dee Money transfer is free.

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

And the first Dee Money transfer is free.

If you are really worried about 150 baht/month you are in deep s**t with the new regulations!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Not really, you have to pay for the transfer from the UK to Thailand anyway. I think Dee Money is only 150 baht the other way, so it's 1800 baht a year.

I'm talking about the difference in exchange rate between buying baht and selling baht.

Edited by Spidey

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

And what about the money you lose in the exchange rate, and possibly the receiving banks fee?

However you make the transfers this idea comes at a cost, which is a lot more than the £500 being claimed.

• Like 1

With so many not having the monthly or deposit money, are they violating the "be worth more alive than dead" advice. 

Could there be an increase in the number of dead falangs? Especially those that are going to leave their loved ones behind and baht less? 

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

And what about the money you lose in the exchange rate, and possibly the receiving banks fee?

However you make the transfers this idea comes at a cost, which is a lot more than the £500 being claimed.

Yes, but the people using this method are rich and care nothing about the fees.

Their portfolios are such that their earnings far outweigh any fees that may be realized, and they are much too smart to fund an account at one of the ridiculously risky Thai banks. The "dead" money you or I might foolishly put in a Thai account,  They will put to work earning them many times the interest the Thai banks pay, and with a much lower level of risk.

Many of the people using this method also have top-secret security clearances that provide intel on how the currency markets will move, allowing them to further increase their wealth in a way that you and I could only dream of.

• Like 1

Too much squabbling as usual on here.

The fact is this diktat by Big Joke has not been thought through as usual. The muddle is in the lack of clarity in the "directive".

All this does as it stands is increase the opportunities for corruption at the Immigration offices.

I fully expect Big Joke(er) will benefit financially from this, and the extra money in Thai banks who will also be appreciative.

That is the biggest joke!

3 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

All this does as it stands is increase the opportunities for corruption at the Immigration offices.

It worked then.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Too much squabbling as usual on here.

The fact is this diktat by Big Joke has not been thought through as usual. The muddle is in the lack of clarity in the "directive".

I fully expect Big Joke(er) will benefit financially from this, and the extra money in Thai banks who will also be appreciative.

That is the biggest joke!

Yes, if all laws were eliminated, the opportunity for corruption would be drastically reduced. Eliminate crime, by eliminating laws, it's brilliant!!! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Their portfolios are such that their earnings far outweigh any fees that may be realized, and they are much too smart to fund an account at one of the ridiculously risky Thai banks. The "dead" money you or I might foolishly put in a Thai account,  They will put to work earning them many times the interest the Thai banks pay, and with a much lower level of risk.

Many of the people using this method also have top-secret security clearances that provide intel on how the currency markets will move, allowing them to further increase their wealth in a way that you and I could only dream of.

What a load of BS.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Risky Thai banks? Please name a single Thai bank that went bust. (BCCI went bust in the 90's through fraud, so it doesn't count).

I could name lots of US banks that went bust due to the GFC.

11 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Risky Thai banks? Please name a single Thai bank that went bust. (BCCI went bust in the 90's through fraud, so it doesn't count).

I could name lots of US banks that went bust due to the GFC.

Go ahead, name them

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Go ahead, name them

OK, I've given you a link that shows hundreds of US bank failures.

I'm still waiting for you to name a Thai bank failure.......

By the available data, it seems Thai banks are much safer than US banks. If you don't agree, prove me wrong.

Let's not even mention that the US dollar has been weakening against the Baht for years.

• Like 2