Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted

2 minutes ago, Aus2804 said:

So, sorry if I have missed this. If you come across on a non immigrant ‘O’ visa, whack 800,000 baht in a Thai bank, is that it for the year? Or do you do 3 monthly immigration visits. Can you touch 800 000 baht during that year.

You need the 800k baht in the bank on the date you apply for the extension and then for 3 months after that day. After the 3 months you can reduce it to 400k baht until you top it up to 800k baht at least 2 months before you apply for your next extension.

No reports of the need to show prove the money is in the bank every 3 months. Jomtien immigration is having people show their bank book 3 months after the application to confirm the 800k baht is still in the bank.

2 minutes ago, Aus2804 said:

And is long stay hotel ok as place of stay in Thailand? Thanks, again sorry if I missed it.

Yes it will be accepted that you have an arrangement for a long stay at the hotel. I does not have to be for the full year though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You need the 800k baht in the bank on the date you apply for the extension and then for 3 months after that day. After the 3 months you can reduce it to 400k baht until you top it up to 800k baht at least 2 months before you apply for your next extension.

No reports of the need to show prove the money is in the bank every 3 months. Jomtien immigration is having people show their bank book 3 months after the application to confirm the 800k baht is still in the bank.

Yes it will be accepted that you have an arrangement for a long stay at the hotel. I does not have to be for the full year though.

I had to go to my office, Nakhon Sawan,  last week to do a 90 day because I forgot to mail it in and it was the 7th day past due.  The office was empty so I talked to the IO about the new regs. 

She basically confirmed what you said about the 800k except her read was that it had to be back up to 800k 3 months before the next extension. She was not sure if/how they would determine if the plan was adhered to during the extension and would have to check.

I asked her about the 65k/month option and showed her my two pension statements but only one is deposited into a Thai bank, my SSA monthly payments.  I showed her the bank book with this deposit which is just over 65k/month.  She said that I could only used monthly FFT deposits into a Thai bank as proof and would need a letter from the bank stating the monthly FFT transfers that I had received for the past 12 months.  I asked her if she had an example of the letter but she said that she didn't and tyhe bank should know what is required.  That'll be a treat at a small branch in the boonies where nobody speaks English.

I then asked her about the combo method and at first she didn't understand but then came around.   She finally said that if the monthly deposit was not 65/k I would need the letter from the bank for the last 12 months stating the monthly amount and the total for 12 months and also a bank book that showed the difference between that and 800k had been in the bank for 3 months before and a letter from the bank.  When I asked her how much had to remain in the account after the extension she said that she didn't know and would have to ask "Joke"!

The next extension will be fun but is not due until November and maybe, just maybe, they will have things straightened out by them but I doubt it, TIT!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1