Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted

2 minutes ago, ocddave said:

You couldn't even get a Thai to agree that Immigration police are without corruption, but yes, according your sample size of "1", you can extrapolate that  "it is you who has the problem not the average retired expat. "?!?!?!?! 

I have not encountered corruption in doing 20 extensions all over Thailand.  I asked you a simple question.  In the two extensions you have done have you encountered any corruption?   

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Tens of thousands of thais will lose their jobs because poorer farangs can't raise 800k?

emoji23.png

Exscuse me , do you mean those poor thai  ladies / boys etc,

working in the hospitality trade etc , cashiers , cleaners ,  and of course the take care ladies, etc.

Edited by elliss

1 hour ago, icare999 said:

800k baht is to be fair peanuts if you want to retire here if you cant find that you should not be here long term except maybe people married to a Thai whove fallen on hard times 

Ahh you missed my poor attempt at a joke about aliens (not the funniest post I admit). The 800k is neither here nor there in my thinking until I retire.

26 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Now, it seems, they are changing the rules for retirees (some here for many years) with 30 28 days notice. 

Are their pensioners in our countries given 28 days to change their funding requirements for whatever visa (probably permanent residence, if there for years), or get out?

How is it a problem? If you have your extension coming soon with the current 800k method, you already have this money in the bank (as you need it during 3 months before extension). The change just mean that this money - that you already have - will not be fully and immediately available after you get your new extension. I don't see the short notice (28 days?) as a problem in such case. :unsure:

Edited by Pattaya46

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I've been here 20 years and no corruption at Immigration and no banking problems.  If I may suggest it is you who has the problem not the average retired expat. 

You must be on that Earth 2 they have on The Flash. My first marriage extension process last decade ended with a bottle of JW black requested by the IO "for the boss". Was a nOOb then and since that, learned to how to look like an old hand (basically try to look like an old Sino-Thai Hi-So granny, ie. completely pissed off) and they haven't tried again. Maybe you have that expression naturally. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, annabel said:

Vietnam ... here I come.... this new guy is a nut case

Apologies to you. I originally misinterpreted your comment here. I thought you were talking
about me, since my post count total is low and I may be considered "new" here in the forum.
It appears in your comment, you meant the "new guy" to mean newly appointed immigration chief
Surachate Hakpan - known as Big Joke. We can agree on this. I should also explore Vietnam, since
I've heard some very positive things about that country as well with regards to foreigners wanting
to live there. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

They will not be able to touch it for an additional 90-days - not a "short delay" for many.  And if they planned to spend down the other 400K during subsequent months, then top it up?

Many people plan their spending according to some semblance of sanity.  At least a year warning would be given - right? 

Exactly, they should have said the new rules would go into effect on march 1st 2020, and then sent out notices to retirees on their lists so they could plan accordingly. Nope, just declare it starts next month, and hope everyone gets the memo.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, madmen said:

Maybe if you are insane especially if this immigration reform act gets through. Deported for being rude or renting a hooker

Makes thailand look like Disney land in comparison

New Philippines Immigration Reform Act filed. If the recent price increases, violence escalation, infrastructure or lack thereof, and general lack of fair and due process doesn't convince you to go elsewhere, the new Philippines Immigration Reform Act will. It gives wide and vague latitude for Immigration and Police to basically do whatever they feel like with you. Here are a few new highlights:

I never had problems finding what I needed at the many large malls and markets in medium to large cities.  And the Police always returned my smile - immigration and beat-cops. 

● Exit Clearance will now be required after 60 days - [MTV] Essentially if you stay in country for > 60 days you need Tax Clearance before you can leave, even if leaving for a holiday - IIRC this is currently 6 Months

Takes a few minutes to fill out the form at the immigration office - done with your last extension.  I did this when I was there.

● Foreigners Permanent Residency will be cancelled on divorce, relationship abandonment, or failure to provide support for Filipino spouse and family(does not disclose as what extent of her existing family). - [MTV] Scary 

If you leave / don't-support your wife - why you got PR in the first place - they cancel your PR.

Try getting PR in Thailand simply for marrying a Thai lady and sticking with her.

● Foreigners Permanent Residency will cancelled if outside the Philippines more than 1 year.

Same as here - but can get it back easily by moving back with your PI wife.

● Foreigners will no longer be allowed to establish any type of business under a visitor visa.- [MTV] One of the major selling points of PI over TH

They offer many business options - and visas to suit.

● New visa applicants will be required to have a physical and mental evaluation prior to getting an immigrant visa. - [MTV] Speechless

No crazies.  Good.

● Entry into the Philippines will be denied for those believed to arriving for the purpose of getting prostitutes or showing "disrespect" to any government official or employee. - [MTV] Some may guffaw at this but anybody who's visited the Philippines for the past 10+ years can tell you about clampdowns in Manila & (especially) Cebu 

You won't be rude unless a jerk.  PI officials are polite and respectful. 

● Deportable offenses: engaging in prostitution,  being deemed a public charge, being deemed undesirable, and being "rude" .- [MTV] Speechless

No money, etc - same as here.

● Foreigners must register within 60 days of arrival and update any changes in said registration within 7 days. - [MTV] TM30/TM28 anybody?

We have 24 hours here.  7 days to update your address is not bad. 

● Also states that the immigration agency can start requiring cash bonds on demand to ensure immigration adherence. Provision perhaps for longer stays?- [MTV] at the moment the only cash requirement outside of visa expenses is if you go for an SRRV Visa, this sounds more like they're going to want to see Funds in the Bank for people who are staying longer on any kind of basis

Will see.  Many under-50s would love to have that option here.  In the PI, you don't even have to do the "every 3 years" border-bounce if you put 300K Baht in a bank there.

● Imprisonment offences of not less than 5 years: falsely claiming to be a Filipino citizen, pretending to be someone else or using false documents, making a false statement in any immigration matter,  

I would not try those things here either.  Not sure why you keep posting this - it's all just common-sense stuff to keep out crazies and such no nation would want.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

No.  But I lived in Jomtien in a nice high-floor condo overlooking the islands (very inexpensive, thanks to immigration driving out the renters).  My spending funded 3 or 4 Thai's salaries, plus helping my wife's family, by supporting her (beginning years before we got married).  We now live in her home town, where I have helped her start a local business (she owns 100%). 

In other words, I am like thousands of others here - many of whom will be negatively affected by this change (more so the Thais they support, even than the expats).  This will not affect me directly - but many from this village, and hundreds of others, who work in areas serving expats will be hurting for sure.  Not that the people pushing this agenda, or folks like yourself, care about what happens to them.

When it comes to Thailand, Bangkok is the center of the Universe, and the Elites run the show, everyone else is considered cannon-fodder. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 4:34 AM, DrTuner said:

800k might be ok, but committing to living in Thailand is something one should avoid at all costs. You never know when some event makes it inhabitable. 

One leg out the door with plan B,C and D in the pocket is the way to go.

I saw this one coming a long time ago.....was on Plan E at the time....lucky me.....and it will only get worse.....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Security is a big issue in Manila Philippines too. My friend brought me to his large house in Manila. There are a cluster of bungalows with 8/10 ft high barbed wire all around the perimeter. I saw 6 security guards at the front gate carrying M16 ! I remarked that with that kind of security , he has no need to carry any firearms himself. Imagine my surprise when he showed me his arsenal including some shotguns. He explained that every household has guns ( rifles, shotguns, not only pistols) and when the kidnappers or robbers come in a van of 6-8 persons, every household must contribute to repel the intruders. Kidnapping was rampant then. 15 years ago. He even need to change his car mid journey and change his routine to work. Who in their right mind other than locals would endure that type of lifestyle? Besides the food sucks.  

Is your friend a druglord ? Just joking. No really, you exaggerate to the max. Come to see me in Cebu. Nothing at all that is matching your post.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Swedenlars said:

Is your friend a druglord ? Just joking. No really, you exaggerate to the max. Come to see me in Cebu. Nothing at all that is matching your post.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

Cebu is equivalent to Phuket. I am talking Manila. I am not exaggerating. I am telling it like it was. Foreigner are not aware of the undercurrent of affairs.

my friend is a Chinese Filipino businessman and a senator. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, madmen said:

Errm if your going to BS then at least put in 5 mins research.

"not expensive, thanks to immigration driving out the renters"

New rules only just began so a year or more left on retirement visas for everyone.

And you been renting in that one horse town before any announcements were even made. It's cheap because it's DEAD lol nothing happens unless your into begging beer bar granny's

What is it with you dude? What joy does telling childish fibs bring ? That's rhetorical no need to answer.emoji106.png

This is not the first move to drive out expats.  Many places were closed when the "crackdowns" on Visa Exempts began, then Tourist Visas became harder to get, then the ED-payoff cost to immigration went up (even for legit students). 

Thousands said, "Forget it, then," and moved elsewhere, leaving entire streets of boarded-up storefronts in their wake.  The "tour buses" full of zero-dollar types drive down some of those streets, which is ironic. 

This is More of the Same - ironically targeting those who used to say, "Get a 'proper' visa."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Cebu is equivalent to Phuket. I am talking Manila. I am not exaggerating. I am telling it like it was. Foreigner are not aware of the undercurrent of affairs.

my friend is a Chinese Filipino businessman and a senator. 

Manila is like a different country from the rest of the PI.  I would not live there either. 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Junta fanboy and any criticism of Thailand is criticism of them

I think this is a mistaken parallel to draw.  The military has shut-down some local scams in the past.  It was the PM who asked immigration to "be flexible" when applying the new Visa Exempt rules.  The problems with immigration have been getting worse throughout successive administrations before this one.  The PM / Military did not direct these changes - at least, that we know of.  It seems to be a clique in the middle-levels who seem to want to hurt us for no logical reason. 

• Haha 1