BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted

26 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

You never know when some event makes it inhabitable. 

It's already comfortably inhabitable. Or were you aiming for "uninhabitable," which isn't quite the right term either?

• Haha 2

So, for me, the question is does everyone extending on the 800K in their bank account also need the 400K year long minimum by 1 March, when this new rule is supposed to take effect?

• Confused 1

You may be lucky enough to be able tie up 800,000 Baht for five months every year without needing to spend of it, in which case bully for you.
There might be others who have committed themselves to Thailand by buying themselves a condo to enjoy their retirement in, so don’t have a spare 800,000 Baht they can leave untouched in the bank.
There might be those who’ve retired here under the previous conditions and didn’t expect the goalposts to be moved.
One wonders if those who can demonstrate they have the current required monthly income might be the next to have the goalposts moved.
For the life of me I really don’t understand the reasoning for needing to leave 800,000 Baht in the bank for five months of the year when it’s supposed to be evidence that you have sufficient to live on.

Actually 6 months, 3 before and 3 after renewal.

The only “ grandfathering “ which appears to be allowed is for people here since 1998 and over 60 years old ( back in 1998 I assume) , they are allowed 200,000 but I doubt many fit the requirements.

8 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

It's already comfortably inhabitable. Or were you aiming for "uninhabitable," which isn't quite the right term either?

Ooops. Yeah my bad, can't edit anymore either.