BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted

2 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

My interpretation is that they will check your bank book at the time of renewal only and if drops below 400K, no renewal.

Let's hope you're right.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, notamember said:

you will need a heater installing, the odometer reset from Km to MPH and and an MOT, then pay the import tax and VAT  then you will be ok

nah my Chevrolet Colorado has one in as standard ( I was surprised ) and a  software rework would probably sort the digital dash 

• Thanks 1

Just now, DrTuner said:

After 12 years of suffering under the penetrating gaze of counter #6 at Jomthien I'll simply disagree. It's a hassle.

Sad to hear that; only problems we've ever had in Chiang Mai were to do with the old overcrowded Imm' Office but Big Joke has now sorted that out and things are easiest they've ever been.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, zydeco said:

But the new rules are making working easier than retiring in Thailand.

This is a viable alternative to many retirees who don't have the requisite finances or want to jump through the hoops
to renew or maintain their retirement visa. Although, I suspect getting a work permit entails a lot of hassle as well. I
guess it all depends on how much one "loves" Thailand and the current environment here. 

• Like 1

800,000 before and 800,000 after , then not less than 400,000 for the rest of the year , will the bank book suffice , or will a letter from the bank have to be provided every time you do the 90 day report ?

Because I am sure some offices will want to check your bank balance hasn't fallen below 400,000 before they issue you a 90 day report stamp.

Or will it be a case of wait and see / depends which office you use. 

With the neverending bulls driving the thaibaht ever more expensive, this will become near impossible soon, atleast if you live in an scandinavian country or another country that do not have theire local currency pegged to USD or EUR

So when you come back 3 months later will you again need a second letter from the bank and your bankbook updates to show the 800,000 baht.  Just doubting the work for us and the banks.  This sounds like a stupid big joke.

Edited by Mango Bob
  • Like 2