Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted

11 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Because they're having to do so illegally. If people are married there's the cheaper marriage extension with the option of (part time?) working to subsidizing a low income.

Forcing a retired person to get married is wrong, simply to get a visa. It is quite a process too, some cannot achieve it. I also have little sympathy for those who bypass things due to awkwardness like, I don't want to get a Thai bank account or they refuse to deposit 800,000.

65,000 baht is quite a high requirement, especially for those living more rural.  

Edited by jacko45k

1 minute ago, sumrit said:

Initially, both the foreign applicants and also the agents who encourage and exploit it. If the expats weren't looking for an illegal route there would be nothing for the agents to exploit and no backhanders to give the IO's.

I tell you it's the farang's fault.

If the farang did not come to Thailand, the agents would have continued with their local scams and not expand into this very lucrative business.

Better for farang not to come at all.

How about this?

Do you remember when visa run agencies were teaching us how to "correctly" use double entry tourist visas doing visa runs a few years ago?

Now those IO's that were chop choping passports a few years ago, when I was crossing into Poipet, smoked a cigarette and came back 5 minutes later, they thought I wanted to visit Cambodia and changed my mind?

Again, any system in any country that has loopholes will be exploited. Pointing fingers now is irrelevant. If you want to point fingers, point them at the lawmakers and Immigration for allowing it to happen.

1 minute ago, lkv said:

Again, any system in any country that has loopholes will be exploited. Pointing fingers now is irrelevant. If you want to point fingers, point them at the lawmakers and Immigration for allowing it to happen.

But the Authorities are trying to do things correctly and stop the corrupt system from happening/continuing and all they get from people on places like TV is more and more ABUSE.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sumrit said:

But the Authorities are trying to do things correctly and stop the corrupt system from happening/continuing and all they get from people on places like TV is more and more ABUSE.

I have a better logic.

Your logic was: if the westerner wasn't dodgy, then visa agencies would not make money and would not make the IO's corrupt.

How about: throw into prison corrupt IO's, eradicate corruption, make sure they earn their jobs honestly (not paid). Yes, in Thailand to get a job in Police one must pay money. Promotion also costs money. Immigration is Police by the way, part of RTP. And people need to get a return on their investments, common sense dictates.

How about they start there and all the rest will fall into place?

Give it an estimate 50-100 years.

Edited by lkv

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Forcing a retired person to get married is wrong, simply to get a visa. I also have little sympathy for those who bypass things due to awkwardness like, I don't want to get a Thai bank account or they refuse to deposit 800,000.

65,000 baht is quite a high requirement, especially for those living more rural.  

It's down to a matter of choice. If you're in a long term relationship what's wrong with getting married to ensure that relationship continues? If that long term relationship is not important enough to get married and you can't afford the 65k bant extension, go home.

Again, down to choice. If you don't put money in a Thai bank go home. If you want to live in Thailand put the money in the bank/bring your monthly income into your Thai bank.

You can't have different minimum income levels dependant on where you live, your choice of living in a rural area is your choice.

16 minutes ago, lkv said:

I have a better logic.

Your logic was: if the westerner wasn't dodgy, then visa agencies would not make money and would not make the IO's corrupt.

How about: throw into prison corrupt IO's, eradicate corruption, make sure they earn their jobs honestly (not paid). Yes, in Thailand to get a job in Police one must pay money. Promotion also costs money. Immigration is Police btw, part of RTP. And people need to get a return on their investments, common sense dictates.

How about they start there and all the rest will fall into place?

Give it an estimate 50-100 years.

You can start where you want and pick on the guys at the end of the chain and lock them up first instead of the ones creating the chain, so long as the rules also say the illegals must be deported immediately and locked up until they can afford their ticket home. Don't pick on just part of the chain, treat them all equally.???? ????

Edited by sumrit

17 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Sure they are trying to clean things up....

And

All politicians and police are honest

And

The tax man always looks out for the little guy

And

Newspapers always have impartial reporting....lol

16 minutes ago, sumrit said:

It's down to a matter of choice. If you're in a long term relationship what's wrong with getting married to ensure that relationship continues? If that long term relationship is not important enough to get married and you can't afford the 65k bant extension, go home.

Again, down to choice. If you don't put money in a Thai bank go home. If you want to live in Thailand put the money in the bank/bring your monthly income into your Thai bank.

You can't have different minimum income levels dependant on where you live, your choice of living in a rural area is your choice.

Sumrit you can just give all the deadbeats 65,000 a month then they will not have to go home....

6 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Sure they are trying to clean things up....

And

All politicians and police are honest

And

The tax man always looks out for the little guy

And

Newspapers always have impartial reporting....lol

The abuse Thai Immigration get on TV is real, you're just dreaming.????

3 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Sumrit you can just give all the deadbeats 65,000 a month then they will not have to go home....

The deadbeats. Now why would I want to do that. If you want them here, you give it to them.????

Edited by sumrit

I see everybody is making plans about this 65K, when eventually they may very well twist it and leave two options.

1. Affidavit ( that they know you cannot get).

2. 800K.

So basically one option.

28 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Some couples may not be in a position to marry. IE Unable to achieve divorce from a previous relationship, or confirm it. Go home is a callous response, there may well be children who will be abandoned. I say the relationship should be supported. Not the Expat pilloried.

Pretty much what I said so no argument. People have to be flexible, comply if they can.

No, but we obviously have different income levels for married and single, and absurdly, single needs more money!

Living rural is very often not by choice, but for financial reasons. You may not have experience of this, but it is a fact. If people have sufficient for their needs, why break them apart? 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, lkv said:

I see everybody is making plans about this 65K, when eventually they may very well twist it and leave two options.

2. 800K.

So basically one option.

- They just introduced this new method (12x 65k) in January. It's not to remove it soon! :wink:

- "Affidavit" has never been a option; it was an "Embassy Letter verifying your Income"... and it's still a valid option.

So still 3 options/methods available.

6 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

- They just introduced this new method (12x 65k) in January. It's not to remove it soon! :wink:

- "Affidavit" has never been a option; it was an "Embassy Letter verifying your Income"... and it's still a valid option.

So still 3 options/methods available.

Was I not reading a report from Chaengwatthana about a German guy being told: " cannot mister"?

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I've given the proof before.

So humour me and post it again. Or, give me the thread title and post number please.

If it's because the decision was made by auditors and then you making up their motive, that is not proof.

The BE has already stated why they did, you just can't accept that reason.

If that is indeed your "proof", then don't bother. Hard facts only please. No assumptions, suppositions or, make-believe.

Edited by Joe Mcseismic

43 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Some couples may not be in a position to marry. IE Unable to achieve divorce from a previous relationship, or confirm it. Go home is a callous response, there may well be children who will be abandoned. I say the relationship should be supported. Not the Expat pilloried.

Exactly my situation.

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

No, but we obviously have different income levels for married and single, and conversely, single needs more money!

Living rural is very often not by choice, but for financial reasons. You may not have experience of this, but it is a fact. 

I've lived here in Chonburi for over fifteen years. My wife's family come from Korat, where we spend a lot of time, so I have years of experience and I'm fully aware of the different lifestyles and cost of living, etc. the everyday living costs, electricity, water, food costs and general household costs are probably not too different, in fact Benzine and LPG is slightly more expensive in Chonburi. The biggest difference is probably eating out at restaurants etc. I'm teetotal and don't go to bars, etc so don't have those costs anywhere. University costs for my daughter in Chonburi I know is more expensive than Korat.

Your comments remind me of the UK where I come originally from (expensive) Essex/London and moved to (much cheaper) Shropshire. Don't know if it's still the same but I remember when the Government introduced 'London Weighting' to London salaries because of the extra 'living costs'. Great idea which quickly fizzled out because housing costs were pushed up which took away all the London subsidy. My cousin and I both worked for the same company, me in Shropshire, he in East London. after taking our respective housing cost out of the equation I actually had more disposable income than he did.

I know it's not comparable but imagine there could possibly be some similarities between say Bangkok and Korat, although, for locals, there's probably a bigger difference in Salaries. For (most) expats the pension would be the same, regardless of where they lived.

18 minutes ago, sumrit said:

<snipped>

in fact Benzine and LPG is slightly more expensive in Chonburi.

<snipped>

I don't believe this is true. Unless it has changed recently, the gasoline prices set for different provinces (and amphurs) are higher the further away from Bangkok you come. So Korat will have higher gasoline prices being further away from Bangkok than Chonburi. It has been this way as far back as I can remember. I believe the petrol companies have been allowed the higher prices to cover their cost for distributing the gasoline around Thailand, hence why the price goes up the further away from Bangkok you get.

If you don't believe me, you can check the provincial gasoline prices on PTTs website. As of today the price for e.g. gasohol 95 is THB 27.17 in Mueang Chonburi and THB 27.42 in Mueang Nakhon Ratchasima (up here in the north where I live it's THB 27.77). 

Sophon

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sophon said:

I don't believe this is true. Unless it has changed recently, the gasoline prices set for different provinces (and amphurs) are higher the further away from Bangkok you come. So Korat will have higher gasoline prices being further away from Bangkok than Chonburi. It has been this way as far back as I can remember. I believe the petrol companies have been allowed the higher prices to cover their cost for distributing the gasoline around Thailand, hence why the price goes up the further away from Bangkok you get.

If you don't believe me, you can check the provincial gasoline prices on PTTs website. As of today the price for e.g. gasohol 95 is THB 27.17 in Mueang Chonburi and THB 27.42 in Mueang Nakhon Ratchasima (up here in the north where I live it's THB 27.77). 

Sophon

Sorry, I meant to type 'more expensive than in Chonburi'

9 hours ago, moe666 said:

I love all these post, it is all about mememememe, when it is all about th Thais deciding they have had enough of retirees going to their Embassy and lying about their income and other hiring agents who put the 800,000 in the bank for them. Blame these people for making it harder for some people, who are legal, to stay. These are the people given a pass and were cheating. Some say doesn't affect you why do you care, well guess what it has now affected everyone who is retired here with new requirements that some cannot meet or do not want to meet.

Which do you think came first, the corrupt system, the agents, or the foreigners.

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

It’s not law. It’s a condition of being issued an extension. If you don’t meet the condition (“seasoning”) you simply don’t get the extension; and you can’t sent be to the “monkey house”!

Wanna bet? Use an agent , no seasoning, get caught out, got to monkey house. I was here when Hanbali, dunno correct spelling, went through Sadao, all who got caught on the streets with their supposed 90 day visa run, went to monkey house. 

1 hour ago, lkv said:

2. 800K.

So basically one option.

And the sky may fall in. Pure baseless assumption. 

6 minutes ago, indepth said:

Wanna bet? Use an agent , no seasoning, get caught out, got to monkey house. I was here when Hanbali, dunno correct spelling, went through Sadao, all who got caught on the streets with their supposed 90 day visa run, went to monkey house. 

I am not familiar with this, but are you saying they were in Sadao and having someone take their passports to be stamped out and in without them leaving the country?

If so, clearly against the LAW.

Calm down and read clearly what elvajero has said, if not having seasoned funds you would not satisfy the requirements and your application would be rejected. Different thing again, totally different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lkv said:

2. 800K.

So basically one option.

I think the embassy letter/affidavit option will eventually go leaving only transfers into the country as the only way to prove income, or 800K.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rott said:

I am not familiar with this, but are you saying they were in Sadao and having someone take their passports to be stamped out and in without them leaving the country?

If so, clearly against the LAW.

Calm down and read clearly what elvajero has said, if not having seasoned funds you would not satisfy the requirements and your application would be rejected. Different thing again, totally different.

Against the law, correct, but it was advertised widely here in Phuket . Elvajero usually just repeats what UJ posts. At other times, he is often way off the mark. If use an agent and have "pretend " seasoned funds, you may well get your visa, but, if the shit hits the fan as it did in Sadao, you will be in deep shit for being overstay, ie no valid visa. You can take what i say to the bank.