Recommend a tablet for a child

chickenslegs

My Granddaughter (7yrs) has an aged iPad, which was bought for her about 4 years ago. It has been used and abused, but given great service over the years. Now it is on its last legs and ready for retirement.

I have nil to zero knowledge about these devices, so I'm seeking advice.

Her needs are few:

• Wifi connectivity to watch YouTube stuff (LOL dolls, etc.)
  • Send/receive emails
  • Play games and quizzes

In addition, I would like:

• Ability to use headphones
  • Play movies from a USB memory stick (good for long flights)
  • Take photos (super high definition not needed)

This is for a youngster, so I would not be interested in anything costing much more than about 10,000THB.

Is there a tablet that fits this specification?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

My Granddaughter (7yrs) has an aged iPad, which was bought for her about 4 years ago. It has been used and abused, but given great service over the years. Now it is on its last legs and ready for retirement.

I have nil to zero knowledge about these devices, so I'm seeking advice.

Her needs are few:
  • Wifi connectivity to watch YouTube stuff (LOL dolls, etc.)
  • Send/receive emails
  • Play games and quizzes
In addition, I would like:
  • Ability to use headphones
  • Play movies from a USB memory stick (good for long flights)
  • Take photos (super high definition not needed)

This is for a youngster, so I would not be interested in anything costing much more than about 10,000THB.

Is there a tablet that fits this specification?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Take a look at the Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus. Excellent screen and forward-facing stereo speakers. A tad short on memory but otherwise a good buy. Get the thick bumper in the Kids Pack or a cheap equivalent from Lazada. You'll need an OTG cable for flash drives or an OTG card reader for SD cards.

Sent from my cell phone using Thaivisa mobile app

38 minutes ago, orientalist said:

Take a look at the Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus. Excellent screen and forward-facing stereo speakers. A tad short on memory but otherwise a good buy. Get the thick bumper in the Kids Pack or a cheap equivalent from Lazada. You'll need an OTG cable for flash drives or an OTG card reader for SD cards.

Sent from my cell phone using Thaivisa mobile app

I just took a very quick look at the tablet. It looks perfect for her needs and is bang on the price range I want to spend.

I'll take a closer look when I get home later.

Thank you very much.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Give her some golf clubs instead. Better exercise for her, and she might be earning a fortune on the pro circuit to support you later on.

Steve Jobs would not allow his children to have any electronic devices... he even sent them to specifically chosen boarding schools that did not use computer based learning. You do not develop proper learning techniques by having 'dubious' information fed to you by computers. Reading and thinking out solutions to problems is much better preparation of real life!  My 6 yr old son used to be stuck to a phone or tab for hours a day, his behavior becomes very bad after only a few hours viewing, so he is now limited to 5 or 6 hours a week.

A second hand more recent iPad perhaps - The availability of Apps for an iPad makes them an extremely good tool for kids on long journeys.

In contrast to the 'screen-time' critics, tablets with the right set of Apps are an incredible education tool.... obviously, as with anything, balance is required, I'd be unhappy with my son watching TV all day or stuck in his room all day....  the time he spends on his iPad is managed intelligently (usually 30mins a day or so - unless on a long flight or long car journey)...

I agree that too much time on a Tablet / computer / phone is not a good thing... but some time managed carefully is a good thing... 

19 hours ago, xr399 said:

Steve Jobs would not allow his children to have any electronic devices... he even sent them to specifically chosen boarding schools that did not use computer based learning. You do not develop proper learning techniques by having 'dubious' information fed to you by computers. Reading and thinking out solutions to problems is much better preparation of real life!  My 6 yr old son used to be stuck to a phone or tab for hours a day, his behavior becomes very bad after only a few hours viewing, so he is now limited to 5 or 6 hours a week.

This x100, and it's not just Steve Jobs. I read dozens of industry leaders talking about how evil these devices are with children's brains. Schools teaching Silicon Valley kids are much less likely to use screens that other schools:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/style/digital-divide-screens-schools.html

There are numerous other articles much like that one with all sorts of warnings from the inside regarding how bad those things are.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived