UK to formulate Irish border proposals 'in a few days': Hunt

webfact

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Maybe this is just the right time to finally get real and address the idiotic historic anomaly that is the north and accept the blindingly obvious, that the island of Ireland is indeed just one country."

I'm inclined to agree - but this wouldn't be fair on the majority of those in N. Ireland, unless there is a referendum in N. Ireland, and the majority agree that the North and South should be united. :sad:

With a bit of luck, if there is a genuine brexit, perhaps the electorate will agree to uniting with the South?

Dont be so quick in assuming that the South wants unification with the North 

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

If you would have served in NI you would know that statement is absolute drivel and rubbish.

Racketeering, Gun smuggling, Kidnapping, Murder just to name a few.

....and again, ultimately a problem for the northern counties.

I guess they were trying to get around all the checkpoints you were stationed at.

Fortunately the peace treaty has sorted all of that. Well, had sorted, until typical Westminster arrogance to the island of Ireland got in the way.

27 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

If you would have served in NI you would know that statement is absolute drivel and rubbish.

Drugs, livestock, farm machinery/tractors, ringers, fuel, women, cash, booze, Fr Ted,....

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

So yet again, the 'Ireland question' comes back to haunt the UK and hold the rest of the UK to ransom.  If they truly are part of the UK in the North then of course there must be a border with the EU, with appropriate controls.  The Irish can't have their cake and eat it,  it's one or the other.   Maybe this is just the right time to finally get real and address the idiotic historic anomaly that is the north and accept the blindingly obvious, that the island of Ireland is indeed just one country. 

I agree but cannot see it happening in our lifetime. If there is to be a border (I doubt it) it should be on the RoI side, funded & manned by them & the EU if they cannot come up with a better solution.

2 minutes ago, samran said:

....and again, ultimately a problem for the northern counties.

I guess they were trying to get around all the checkpoints you were stationed at.

Fortunately the peace treaty has sorted all of that. Well, had sorted, until typical Westminster arrogance to the island of Ireland got in the way.

So back to your original statement below.  Absolute Tosh.

"The IRA were a problem for the British controlled north, not for the republican south."

The murders that took place in Ireland, Weapons, Drugs smuggling/buying to raise funds for the IRA and Sein Fein in Ireland and NI. All Irish issues and problems. To name a few.

The bold words are for those who are visual impaired or brain blinkered.

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

the idiots have had nearly 3 years to sort this out, and now they want or thinking they need an extension, plans should have been in place before they submitted article 50. all these failed negotiations and fake news stories about the risks of leaving , is a ploy by the remoaners and the EU, to sow discontent among the people to stop us leaving

Absolutely correct.

56 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Maybe you should call the Irish prime Minister as he is saying differently.

"Ireland's prime minister said on Friday his government would find it very difficult to avoid imposing a hard border on Northern Ireland if Britain crashes out of the European Union without an exit agreement."

https://www.iol.co.za/news/world/irish-pm-says-eu-would-insist-on-hard-border-without-brexit-deal-18151131

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-ireland-commission/no-brexit-deal-means-hard-irish-border-eu-says-idUSKCN1PG1GV

Still waiting for those who are saying that Ireland doesn't want a border to comment or is it just fake news! Seems to be some remainers answer, when they know they are talking out of their back end.

13 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

"The IRA were a problem for the British controlled north, not for the republican south."

The murders that took place in Ireland, Weapons, Drugs smuggling/buying to raise funds for the IRA and Sein Fein in Ireland and NI. All Irish issues and problems. To name a few.

Again, how was a border going to stop that? You were there apparently with your checkpoints, and failed miserably.

Those problems you cite, were indeed problems for those involved in the 'cause' so to speak, but not for the nation of Ireland as a whole. They weren't trying to 'free' the south, and Sinn Fein - their political brothers - never had any political popularity in the south until after the peace agreement. Even then, it is still limited.

As said, the cumulative effect was a very big problem for the north - not not for the political or cultural existence of the ROI.

2 hours ago, Loiner said:

You seem to feel that No Deal isn’t something we would be satisfied with?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don’t care what the UK is satisfied with. If anything, I care about Europe wasting time and resources patiently entertaining the UK’s circus. Good that’s coming to an end now. 

Just now, samran said:

Again, how was a border going to stop that? You were there apparently with your checkpoints, and failed miserably.

Those problems you cite, were indeed problems for those involved in the 'cause' so to speak, but not for the nation of Ireland as a whole. They weren't trying to 'free' the south, and Sinn Fein - their political brothers - never had any political popularity in the south until after the peace agreement. Even then, it is still limited.

As said, the cumulative effect was a very big problem for the north - not not for the political or cultural existence of the ROI.

You still have not answered the question. If you made a mistake then fine but man up.

"Again, how was a border going to stop that? You were there apparently with your checkpoints, and failed miserably."

So to  your statement above why is a border needed now then?

So my whole point is that Ireland didn't have a border up when the troubles were on but now they feel the need to because of Brexit and the potential of trouble.

Smacks of hypocrisy and idiocy.  Also been played like a :violin:by the EU.

26 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

There was also the assassination or Earl Mountbatten In Southern Ireland by members of the IRA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Mountbatten,_1st_Earl_Mountbatten_of_Burma#Assassination

Mountbatten usually holidayed at his summer home, Classiebawn Castle, in Mullaghmore, a small seaside village in County Sligo, Ireland. The village was only 12 miles (19 km) from the border with Northern Ireland and near an area known to be used as a cross-border refuge by IRA members.[111][112] In 1978, the IRA had allegedly attempted to shoot Mountbatten as he was aboard his boat, but "choppy seas had prevented the sniper lining up his target".

On 27 August 1979, Mountbatten went lobster-potting and tuna fishing in his 30-foot (9.1 m) wooden boat, Shadow V, which had been moored in the harbour at Mullaghmore.[112] IRA member Thomas McMahon had slipped onto the unguarded boat that night and attached a radio-controlled bomb weighing 50 pounds (23 kg). When Mountbatten was aboard, just a few hundred yards from the shore, the bomb was detonated. The boat was destroyed by the force of the blast, and Mountbatten's legs were almost blown off. Mountbatten, then aged 79, was pulled alive from the water by nearby fishermen, but died from his injuries before being brought to shore.[112][114][115] Also aboard the boat were his elder daughter Patricia (Lady Brabourne), her husband John (Lord Brabourne), their twin sons Nicholas and Timothy Knatchbull, John's mother Doreen, (dowager) Lady Brabourne, and Paul Maxwell, a young crew member from County Fermanagh.[116] Nicholas (aged 14) and Paul (aged 15) were killed by the blast and the others were seriously injured.[117] Doreen, Lady Brabourne (aged 83) died from her injuries the following day

You still have not answered the question. If you made a mistake then fine but man up.

"Again, how was a border going to stop that? You were there apparently with your checkpoints, and failed miserably."

So to  your statement above why is a border needed now then?

So my whole point is that Ireland didn't have a border up when the troubles were on but now they feel the need to because of Brexit and the potential of trouble.

Smacks of hypocrisy and idiocy.  Also been played like a :violin:by the EU.

They didn't need a border cause you were both in the EEA and the CTA.

That is about to change, and the Irish are required to have one for customs checks if they have an EU external border. 

Saying it is hypocrisy and idiocy is a bit rich. They've been put in that position by the UK cluster$@ck which we are all witnessing.

You'll both remain in the CTA so immigration checks wont be done.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The leader of the House of Commons, Andrea Leadsom, told lawmakers on Thursday that parliament's planned February recess would be cancelled so it could make progress on "key business". The government has also said it is looking at extending the hours during which parliament sits.

They should have cancelled Christmas...

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Britain will take a few days to formulate proposals to put to the European Union in an attempt to resolve the issue of Irish border arrangements after Brexit, foreign minister Jeremy Hunt told BBC radio on Thursday.

A few days? hope he means less than 57...

20 minutes ago, samran said:

Saying it is hypocrisy and idiocy is a bit rich. They've been put in that position by the UK cluster$@ck which we are all witnessing.

Once again there was no real hard border when the IRA were murdering, Kidnapping those across the border in NI and then coming back to Ireland. Now there will need to be a border for the safety and to ensure the Good Friday agreement is intact. I will stick by my claim. Hypocrisy and idiocy

I don’t care what the UK is satisfied with. If anything, I care about Europe wasting time and resources patiently entertaining the UK’s circus. Good that’s coming to an end now. 

Why not tell them to stop it then? Better than telling us to not Brexit.
Agreed that it will be good when we do Leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Indeed so, just a set of petty criminals hiding behind historical and religious dogma. 

Once again there was no real hard border when the IRA were murdering, Kidnapping those across the border in NI and then coming back to Ireland. Now there will need to be a border for the safety and to ensure the Good Friday agreement is intact. I will stick by my claim. Hypocrisy and idiocy

I think the locals are telling us that having no border is the preferred solution.

How having one esures the GF agreement remains intact is beyond my obviously less educated and effeminate mind, as you are wont to regularly point out. 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Dont be so quick in assuming that the South wants unification with the North 

Ha, well that I know to be partly true.  Talking to friends in the south, they often say that they don't want anything to do with the lunatics in the north. Mind you, we say that in England too regarding we tough, manly, beer drinking northerners v those cider drinking, wimpy, hurrah Henry (Rupert's and Nigel's) pinky fingered southerners.  

4 hours ago, samran said:

Why should the Irish government have to put up a border to deal with a problem that wasn’t theirs? 

Where do you think the terrorist IRA had many safe bases, arms dumps and support? 

Clue - not Northern Ireland but somewhere with a shared border!

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Because since around 400 AD there's been no-one here with the skills or organisation good enough to get it done.

See below.

????????????????

330px-Hadrians_Wall_map.svg.png

But someone does at least appear to be having a try with a border that's over 6 times longer!????

image.jpeg.0603856ea172994b50c9c1e87a3d5996.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Where do you think the terrorist IRA had many safe bases, arms dumps and support? 

Clue - not Northern Ireland but somewhere with a shared border!

yes, but my point was simply that at the end of the day - at the pointy end of it - it was the north that largely had to deal with the consequences. 

Now with the GFA, a largely integrated island of Ireland, all that is gone. 

People are doing their best to avoid it, except those in Westminster, particularly those sitting on the treasury benches, who are tone deaf to local wants and needs. 

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

yes and didn't accomplish anything but now they are smarter and they want to accomplish it in less than 2 months

If only there was an organisation or arrangement out there which already existed....

Archived