UK to formulate Irish border proposals 'in a few days': Hunt

webfact

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Someone tell me why the Irish government didn't put a border up when the IRA were killing Protestants (and Others) for years during the 1970s-1990s. Funny how it was important then but it is now!

Do you have any idea on what the backstop issue means, or did you vote for Brexit solely based on what you read on the side of buses?

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

Do you have any idea on what the backstop issue means, or did you vote for Brexit solely based on what you read on the side of buses?

Of Course I know what the backstop issue is being sprouted about means. The argument I am putting forward that it isn't needed to prevent the troubles starting again. something that is been used by the Irish PM and the EU.

As for talk about buses you are being childish.

1 hour ago, samran said:

I think the locals are telling us that having no border is the preferred solution.

How having one esures the GF agreement remains intact is beyond my obviously less educated and effeminate mind, as you are wont to regularly point out. 

Where the poster gets the idea that Eire wants a hard border to protect the Good Friday Agreement is a mystery.

The Irish government wants no such thing and, unlike the tories, saw the implications for the GFA if such a situation arose, immediately after the brexit vote.

They tried to prevent the very situation the tories have now created.

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

Drugs, livestock, farm machinery/tractors, ringers, fuel, women, cash, booze, Fr Ted,....

Shergar, Lord Lucan, Terry Wogan, Val Doonican, The Bachelors, Graham Norton, Mrs Brown, Guiness, Jamesons....

As someone who now lives in England but who was from Northern Ireland and lived there through the troubles both before the Bernadette Devlin marches and the aftermath wouldn't it be better if the Irish question and the B Specials, RUC, IRA, PIRA, UDF, UDA, British Army etc. be left to those who actually have some idea of what they are talking about.

Trust me you could be born and lived there all your life and still not fully understand it so what chance does anyone else have especially the English.

The was no ‘backstop’ before the vote. It’s purely an invention of Merkel and May, created only recently to frustrate the exit by using the NI border issue as one of its tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Of Course I know what the backstop issue is being sprouted about means. The argument I am putting forward that it isn't needed to prevent the troubles starting again. something that is been used by the Irish PM and the EU.

As for talk about buses you are being childish.

You obviously have no knowledge of the Good Friday Agreement. 

Again, you just spout the Brexit propaganda, which is usually seen on the side of buses.

An, by the way, the "technology" solution for the border does not exist...

2 hours ago, Loiner said:

The was no ‘backstop’ before the vote. It’s purely an invention of Merkel and May, created only recently to frustrate the exit by using the NI border issue as one of its tricks.

No, as per usual, the English centric brixters were totally focused on themselves, the other countries of the union be dammed.

Those opposing the exit were too busy reminding voters of the 457,385 other things that would be an consequence of brexit, to have time to remind people of this one, though some did. For most, a return to the bad old days of the troubles was unimaginable. 

The people of NI voted pretty comprehensively to stay in the EU, something which the brexiters conveniently ignore.

The irony of all of this is that the little Englanders have become the caricatures that they like to present of Brussels. Distant, foreign, overbearing and undemocratic. 

15 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Prods will inevitably go the way of Whites in Zimbabwe & SA in due course if Sinn Fein get their way but that's another topic.

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

No it's not an invention of Merkel & May. It arose during negotiations between the EU & the UK because of May refusing to allow the UK to stay in the customs union.

And, no, it's not there to frustrate the exit but to prevent the border between Ireland & NI being reinstalled (as it was prior to joining the EU in 1983).

Ireland doesn't want a border but is preparing to set one up in the event of no agreement over Brexit.

2 hours ago, Bannoi said:

As someone who now lives in England but who was from Northern Ireland and lived there through the troubles both before the Bernadette Devlin marches and the aftermath wouldn't it be better if the Irish question and the B Specials, RUC, IRA, PIRA, UDF, UDA, British Army etc. be left to those who actually have some idea of what they are talking about.

Trust me you could be born and lived there all your life and still not fully understand it so what chance does anyone else have especially the English.

Theresa May is now a mouthpiece for the UDP. You pays your money, you gets your choice.

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

because its a different country? 

No, is isn't!

Ireland is Ireland is Ireland. There is the north of Ireland and the south of Ireland. The fact that the British government took it by force is neither here nor there.

Ireland is Ireland is Ireland.

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

No, is isn't!

Ireland is Ireland is Ireland. There is the north of Ireland and the south of Ireland. The fact that the British government took it by force is neither here nor there.

Not yet it isn't,  but the sooner the better. 

59 minutes ago, champers said:

Theresa May is now a mouthpiece for the UDP. You pays your money, you gets your choice.

I'm assuming you mean the DUP they may be holding Theresa May the government and the rest of the UK to ransom but they are only able to because Theresa May is so desperate to hang on to power.

She has abandoned all sense of duty and what is best for the country to as is usual for the Tory party put self-interest and party first she's not governing she's surrendered the UK to a bunch of bigots who belong in the dark ages.

The DUP do not speak for everyone in NI far from it.

I know there are some English who don't understand or don't even care that this could lead to the breakup of the UK they are the ones that think that England is the UK and NI Scotland and Wales are just those bits of the UK they would be better off without.

If the UK does split a united Ireland would be OK and I think Scotland would make its own way in the world, Wales unfortunately I feel would probably stay with England in some form of union.

1 minute ago, Bannoi said:

I'm assuming you mean the DUP they may be holding Theresa May the government and the rest of the UK to ransom but they are only able to because Theresa May is so desperate to hang on to power.

She has abandoned all sense of duty and what is best for the country to as is usual for the Tory party put self-interest and party first she's not governing she's surrendered the UK to a bunch of bigots who belong in the dark ages.

The DUP do not speak for everyone in NI far from it.

I know there are some English who don't understand or don't even care that this could lead to the breakup of the UK they are the ones that think that England is the UK and NI Scotland and Wales are just those bits of the UK they would be better off without.

If the UK does split a united Ireland would be OK and I think Scotland would make its own way in the world, Wales unfortunately I feel would probably stay with England in some form of union.

I'm one of the ones that does understand and doesn't care. I would be quite happy for England to stand alone.  

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I'm one of the ones that does understand and doesn't care. I would be quite happy for England to stand alone.  

And I'm quite sure there are plenty of Irish Scots and even Welsh who feel the same way as you do.

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

No, is isn't!

and still an island... always wonder why they let the English come across

9 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

and still an island... always wonder why they let the English come across

Why do you think?

They had a massive army  and seemed to enjoy having a go at the Irish for centuries.

If you are going to colonise countries all over the world, you obviously want a part of next door.

2 minutes ago, Chippy151 said:

Why do you think?

They had a massive army  and seemed to enjoy having a go at the Irish for centuries.

If you are going to colonise countries all over the world, you obviously want a part of next door.

yep that makes sense, although Irish are known to be better fighters, something doesn't make sense

12 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Someone tell me why the Irish government didn't put a border up when the IRA were killing Protestants (and Others) for years during the 1970s-1990s. Funny how it was important then but it is now!

Are you serious?

The British occupy a part of a country and you say the occupied  country should be responsible for erecting borders.

Hopefully you can understand the occupied country's opinion. 

They don't want any border.

15 hours ago, brucec64 said:

You obviously have no knowledge of the Good Friday Agreement. 

I assure you I have more understanding than you.

15 hours ago, brucec64 said:

Again, you just spout the Brexit propaganda, which is usually seen on the side of buses.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Your intellect is showing.

10 hours ago, Chippy151 said:

Are you serious?

The British occupy a part of a country and you say the occupied  country should be responsible for erecting borders.

Hopefully you can understand the occupied country's opinion. 

They don't want any border.

Deadly serious. So answer the question.

I am not saying that Ireland should be responsible. Ireland is saying it will erect a border. Savvy!!.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46961982

https://www.iol.co.za/news/world/irish-pm-says-eu-would-insist-on-hard-border-without-brexit-deal-18151131

19 hours ago, samran said:

No, as per usual, the English centric brixters were totally focused on themselves, the other countries of the union be dammed.

Those opposing the exit were too busy reminding voters of the 457,385 other things that would be an consequence of brexit, to have time to remind people of this one, though some did. For most, a return to the bad old days of the troubles was unimaginable. 

The people of NI voted pretty comprehensively to stay in the EU, something which the brexiters conveniently ignore.

The irony of all of this is that the little Englanders have become the caricatures that they like to present of Brussels. Distant, foreign, overbearing and undemocratic. 

The NI vote was comprehensively to stay? OK a 91.2k majority but the lowest turnout in the UK at only 62.7%. The majority of NI - 470,000 couldn't be arzed either way to even go out and vote. Its obvious that the NI rural districts are in subsidy land, sucking at the EU teat, while the urban industrial districts have felt the full effects of the EU folly.

image.png.0115d925097bb1cab7cef3f86f881c47.png

How can little Englanders be both Distant and overbearing, hasn't got to be one or the other?

Archived