UK to formulate Irish border proposals 'in a few days': Hunt

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The leader of the House of Commons, Andrea Leadsom, told lawmakers on Thursday that parliament's planned February recess would be cancelled so it could make progress on "key business". The government has also said it is looking at extending the hours during which parliament sits.

They should have cancelled Christmas...

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, webfact said:

Britain will take a few days to formulate proposals to put to the European Union in an attempt to resolve the issue of Irish border arrangements after Brexit, foreign minister Jeremy Hunt told BBC radio on Thursday.

A few days? hope he means less than 57...

20 minutes ago, samran said:

Saying it is hypocrisy and idiocy is a bit rich. They've been put in that position by the UK [email protected] which we are all witnessing.

Once again there was no real hard border when the IRA were murdering, Kidnapping those across the border in NI and then coming back to Ireland. Now there will need to be a border for the safety and to ensure the Good Friday agreement is intact. I will stick by my claim. Hypocrisy and idiocy

I don’t care what the UK is satisfied with. If anything, I care about Europe wasting time and resources patiently entertaining the UK’s circus. Good that’s coming to an end now. 

Why not tell them to stop it then? Better than telling us to not Brexit.
Agreed that it will be good when we do Leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

If you would have served in NI you would know that statement is absolute drivel and rubbish.

Racketeering, Gun smuggling, Kidnapping, Murder just to name a few.

Indeed so, just a set of petty criminals hiding behind historical and religious dogma. 

27 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Once again there was no real hard border when the IRA were murdering, Kidnapping those across the border in NI and then coming back to Ireland. Now there will need to be a border for the safety and to ensure the Good Friday agreement is intact. I will stick by my claim. Hypocrisy and idiocy

I think the locals are telling us that having no border is the preferred solution.

How having one esures the GF agreement remains intact is beyond my obviously less educated and effeminate mind, as you are wont to regularly point out. 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Dont be so quick in assuming that the South wants unification with the North 

Ha, well that I know to be partly true.  Talking to friends in the south, they often say that they don't want anything to do with the lunatics in the north. Mind you, we say that in England too regarding we tough, manly, beer drinking northerners v those cider drinking, wimpy, hurrah Henry (Rupert's and Nigel's) pinky fingered southerners.  

4 hours ago, samran said:

Why should the Irish government have to put up a border to deal with a problem that wasn’t theirs? 

Where do you think the terrorist IRA had many safe bases, arms dumps and support? 

Clue - not Northern Ireland but somewhere with a shared border!

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Because since around 400 AD there's been no-one here with the skills or organisation good enough to get it done.

See below.

😆😆😆😆

330px-Hadrians_Wall_map.svg.png

But someone does at least appear to be having a try with a border that's over 6 times longer!😄

image.jpeg.0603856ea172994b50c9c1e87a3d5996.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Where do you think the terrorist IRA had many safe bases, arms dumps and support? 

Clue - not Northern Ireland but somewhere with a shared border!

yes, but my point was simply that at the end of the day - at the pointy end of it - it was the north that largely had to deal with the consequences. 

Now with the GFA, a largely integrated island of Ireland, all that is gone. 

People are doing their best to avoid it, except those in Westminster, particularly those sitting on the treasury benches, who are tone deaf to local wants and needs. 

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

the idiots have had nearly 3 years to sort this out

yes and didn't accomplish anything but now they are smarter and they want to accomplish it in less than 2 months

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

yes and didn't accomplish anything but now they are smarter and they want to accomplish it in less than 2 months

If only there was an organisation or arrangement out there which already existed....

Archived